5.0 out of 5 stars Never judge on first impressions!!!!!
Having bought the Pixies greatest hits 'wave of mutilation' and loved it I decided to collect the albums. I loved 'Doolittle', but then when I got to Surfer Rosa/Come on Pilgrim about a year ago I liked the odd song but wasn't bothered about the album overall, how wrong was I???!!!???
This is an album that needs to be understood. It's...
Published on 16 Jan 2006

3.0 out of 5 stars Essential listening, but (whisper it) it hasn't aged so well
For me, time has not been kind to Pixies - as an artsy teenager in the late 80s, I loved their first three releases up to Doolittle and saw them play brilliantly live at Reading.

I was first introduced to Surfer Rosa at a time when 99% of my schoolfriends were content listening to the prevailing chart tosh - Kylie and Jason, Sonia, Bros. Late one night at a...
Published on 25 Feb 2009 by T. Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Never judge on first impressions!!!!!, 16 Jan 2006
This review is from: Surfer Rosa & Come On Pilgrim (Audio CD)
This is an album that needs to be understood. It's experimental, songs like 'Vamos' and 'Tony's Theme' are not instantly likable. It's Hardcore, there is more screaming and vicious lyrics and riffs than all other Pixies albums. It's not easy going, if you are not already a Pixies fan then I advise 'Doolittle'.
However, once you get past these obsticles, played it enough times and left any wishes to be taken on a smooth ride through paradise well at home, you will finally appreciate just what this album is, a work of timeless art.
You live, you laugh, you smile, you cry, you die, and you must own Surfer Rosa.

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of genius (or two), 16 Oct 2005
This review is from: Surfer Rosa & Come On Pilgrim (Audio CD)
Comprising the Pixies' first two albums, SR+COP is definitely one of the greatest albums of all time. From the fantastic Bone Machine (something to air-drum to) all the way, 20 incredible tracks later to eccentric masterpiece Levitate Me, this (these) album(s) is (are) a must. Black Francis's wailing yet harmonic vocals combining with Kim Deal's own excellent voice, all over booming drums courtesy of David Lovering and with the best guitarring ever by Joey Santiago.
Best Tracks: the whole album. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer vicious brilliance, 11 May 2004
Peter Fenelon - See all my reviews
This review is from: Surfer Rosa & Come On Pilgrim (Audio CD)
Take Black Francis and Kim Deal.... add Steve Albini's production, shake well.... and what do you get?
Two of the most vicious, idiosyncratic, groundbreaking indie/rock albums of the 80s.
It's difficult to explain the Pixies - the sheer visceral impact of their music almost defies explanation. Perhaps a simple explanation would be that at this point in their career, they were something like Husker Du meets Motorhead with added Spanish guitars, and lyrics by a deranged Viv Stanshall.
Black Francis shrieks and yells his way through tales of perversion, subversion, surrealism, superheroes, love and hate. Kim Deal's occasionally angelic voice provides counterpoint on tracks like 'Gigantic'.
I remember where I was the first time I heard 'Something Against You'. It rearranged my mental roadmap of what rock was and what it could do. Every track on these two albums is equally stunning. I envy anyone hearing this stuff for the first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 5 Jun 2002
This review is from: Surfer Rosa & Come On Pilgrim (Audio CD)
I have a confession to make. I am utterly ashamed. Despite having owned the Pixie's later albums for some time i had never owned, or even heard, this masterpiece.
The guitar melodies of this dont stick in your brain, they are firmly bolted there. I have never heard a more innovative or breathtaking album. In particualar, the distorted guitar in "Vamos" has to be heard to be believed. "Broken face" is equally spectacular.
Buy this NOW. No question about it. Buy several copies for yourself so you are never without one and then buy two for every person you know.
I am off to bow down and worship my Hi-fi as i leave this on repeat all night long to try to attone for my sins.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kurt Cobain was listening..., 15 April 2006
This review is from: Surfer Rosa & Come On Pilgrim (Audio CD)
The Pixies have received a creative renaissance of late, since their 2004 Wave Of Mutilation compilation. There is reason for this, as this collection of their debut album, Surfer Rosa and their early EP Come On Pilgrim shows.

Their influence can be heard in countless songs. 'Cactus' was later covered by David Bowie, 'Where Is My Mind?' by Placebo, and so on. Truth is, there is scarcely a duff track across this whole CD, which burns through 21 tracks in about 50 minutes.

As good as the aforementioned are, I feel the opening salvo of 'Bone Machine' and 'Break My Body' is the definitive Pixies statement. Between them, they form a whirlwind of off-kilter harmonies, tempo changes, Frank Black's unholy screech and Joey Santiago's chiming guitar work. Then, there is 'Gigantic,' an early single, fronted by bassist Kim Deal. Despite containing little in the way of pop melody (that was saved for Doolittle in 1989), it is relentlessly catchy.

The first two Pixies albums are two masterful, and fairly different items of evidence showing that Kurt Cobain, as good as he was, was a mere pretender to their throne. I recommend buying the more accessible Doolittle first, but follow it up with this, the more hardcore, dirtier, filthier, nastier precursor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, accesible, funny...., 19 Jun 2005
This review is from: Surfer Rosa & Come On Pilgrim (Audio CD)
this is probably the most popular and celebrated album made by Frank Black and co. and deserevedly so. from their playful pop tunes like 'where is my mind?' to the other end of the spectrum with their noise merchant style 'something against you' this album caters for nearly all tastes, from fans of new wave bands seen in NME to fans of Native Nod and Sonic Youth. As one of the most influential post-punk bands to date this album is probably the most enjoyable and accesible of all the Pixies' works. On top of this, the album is riddled with their trademark sense of humour and somewhat tongue-in-cheek nature that defines this unique approach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary..., 22 Jan 2002
This review is from: Surfer Rosa & Come On Pilgrim (Audio CD)
For sheer force, little else in rock history matches Surfer Rosa's opening salvo; battering the door down with 'Bone Machine' before unleashing three quickfire bursts of brittle melody and off-kilter chords: 'Break My Body', 'Something Against You', and 'Broken Face'. That 'Gigantic' constitutes something of a calming down in proceedings amply demonstrates this album's impact. They don't let up either; on every track the drums are turned up, the guitar is high and squally, the bass is relentless and Black Francis' deranged holler is breathtaking. Particular standouts - if such a thing exists on a record that's as conistent as it is thrilling - are the famous 'Where Is My Mind', the sung-in-Spanish 'Oh My Golly' and the unsettling 'Cactus'. An inspirational debut and an album that has to be in your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Try this little trick and spin it!, 15 Nov 2003
This review is from: Surfer Rosa & Come On Pilgrim (Audio CD)
After watching fight club a few times, I became increasingly intrigued by the end credits track. I kept trying to remember to look up the band who did it (the track in question is where is my mind?) on amazon. Eventually I did. The band: The Pixies. Seeing all the glowing reviews and the bargain price I decided that why not try their first album (actually their first two albums on one cd). This led to my discovery of possibly the greatest band alive. I have all of their albums now, and while this is not my favourite, it still holds a special place in my heart as it was my first experience of Black Francis and his band of debasers. Buy this. It will change your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best album ever!!!, 18 Oct 2008
This review is from: Surfer Rosa & Come On Pilgrim (Audio CD)
Bought this when I was in my teens (am now 34 with 2 kids!!) and I still LOVE it. I used to listen to it on my way to sixth form college and thought then that I would find loads of albums as good as this as I got older. I didn't (well apart from Radiohead's OK Computer which is my other favourite album). It takes a few listens (I must have listened to it 500 times!) but it never goes stale.

5.0 out of 5 stars fully merits it's cult status, 17 Mar 2004
This review is from: Surfer Rosa & Come On Pilgrim (Audio CD)
I first heard Surfer Rosa when I was 15. 15 years later, it is still as fresh, original, incomparable, and utterly brilliant as it was back then. Blazing, twisting guitars creating amazing riffs, laid over pounding drums, and Black Francis sounding like a crazed (but tuneful) banshee. Kim Deal provides the perfect partner for the vocals (check out The Breeders), a massive talent in her own right. In my opinion, the best Pixies album, and one of the greatest albums of all time. FEEL THE POWER, there is method to this madness!

Surfer Rosa & Come On Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa & Come On Pilgrim by Pixies (Audio CD - 2001)