5.0 out of 5 stars Show me a greater record if you can
This LP (I'm talking about the vinyl here) wanted you to buy it because it looked so extraordinary. I eventually copped a copy in a second hand shop when a bloke walked in with it and I outbid the shop owner. £2.40 never better spent. It changed my life even more than The Faust Tapes, which I already had.
The sound alone is exceptional - hardly any bass and loads of...
Published on 14 July 2008 by M. D. Hewitt

1.0 out of 5 stars Music for a naked emperors ears.
Published on 29 Sept. 2008 by Ross J. Warren

5.0 out of 5 stars Show me a greater record if you can, 14 July 2008
M. D. Hewitt "maeyc" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Faust (Audio CD)
The sound alone is exceptional - hardly any bass and loads of screeching top end. A real ear and brain bender. It's a bit like taking drugs using only your ears, it certainly takes me to the place I want to go to.
The layered collage of sound sounds quite unlike anything else I've heard from the period and Meadow Meal contains the riff to die for played on a French horn or trumpet and is like nothing else on Earth. Still one of my faves after 35 years. A Masterpiece. Buy it (I've bought it 4 times in various incarnations).

5.0 out of 5 stars Original at the time, still unlike anything since, 22 Feb. 2009
J. W. Lacey (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Faust (Audio CD)
I bought this at 15 in 1971 when I saw it in my local record shop. It was a transparent record in a transparent sleeve with a transparent lyric sheet, it cost £1.99 and I had to have it, regardless of the content. I then found the music to be mind boggling in its chaos and originality, blending synthesizers, guitars, bass and drums with industrial machinery and sound effects. Why Don't You Eat Carrots begins with a mocking snatch of Beatles and Stones emerging from the sound of metal tubes being dragged across a floor, Meadow Meal contains lead guitar and thunderstorm, and Miss Fortune blends a two chord drone with what sounds like chickens being strangled before ending suddenly with a folk poem. Who says Germans have no sense of humour? I thought this record was brilliant as a teenager 38 years ago, and I still do today. Equalled by its successor, So Far, but The Faust Tapes and Faust 4 come nowhere near in coherent eccentricity as do their first two albums, despite what another reviewer has said. Buy this for a unique listening experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars masters of art, 27 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Faust [VINYL] (Vinyl)
One of the greatest jewels in the krautrock crown. The early Faust had mastered the art of making experimental music with humour and accessibility. Virtually no other band can get anywhere near the first four Faust albums for out-there experimentalism. Not even my other favourites like the Velvet Underground ( a literate avant-garage band) or even Can (psychedelic afro-funk fusionists). Only Captain Beefheart & his Magic Band can approach Faust... masters of 20th century art.

4.0 out of 5 stars faust, 21 May 2004
andrew howes (Dewsbury, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Faust (Audio CD)
The first time I played this album, I was left in a state of total bewilderment. I already knew Faust, but this seemed more on the left than the Faust tapes. It appeared to be a totally confused impenetrable cacophony. I dedcided to try it again later - much later!
I had read enthusiastic reviews by the likes of Julian Cope and John Peel, proclaiming about the transparent vinyl and sleeve(though the Rer re-issue is reduced to the X-ray fist on a white background) as well as the whole forward thinking, ahead of its time, revolutionary vibe of the music. When I came to listen again, my previous impressions were totally transformed; here was a strange mix of bizarre instrumentation, concrete sounds, choral effects and Dadaist lyrics.
The first track "Why don't you eat carrots?", is a kind of deranged fuzzed out Bavarian dance band with reversed vocals and effects overlaid with a massive gurgling synth. "Meadow Meal" which follows, is a more standard Faust freak out, sandwiched between an abstract chant, a thunderstorm (real) and rainy day organ. What would have been side 2 of the LP is "Miss Fortune", a mid-tempo Velvet Underground style cruiser with wah apparently on at least three instruments, incorporating along the way more strange singing and much weirdness. Suddenly, just before the end, the whole album is pulled into sharp focus, crystallising what the music has been trying to put across all the way through, with a short acoustic guitar and spoken piece by Jean -Herve Peron.
This album is certainly unconventional, but each segment never outstays its welcome. Everything you could want from this band is here, unless of course You Don't Know Faust!!

5.0 out of 5 stars "I like the Beach Boys!", 16 April 2014
This review is from: Faust [VINYL] (Vinyl)
It shows.

This is one of the, if you'll pardon the expression, "heaviest" recordings of all, along with "Smile".

If you don't know Faust, sorry ~ their music is impossible to describe or categorize. It sounds like nothing else.
Many would contend it sounds nothing like music. But, once heard, never forgotten. Pop, rock, jazz, folk, electronics, effects, collage, spoken word, poetry. And that doesn't even get close.

Strictly speaking, you should own the "Wumme years" box set ReR Megacorp lovingly issued.
That has this plus 4 other CDs and a fabulous account of the history and mystery of the group.
But if you're of a chronological bent, start here with their debut LP.
You never heard such sounds in your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars First and Best, 22 Dec. 2013
A. Ray "Andy Brighton" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Faust (Audio CD)
The first Lp by fast simply blows all others out of the water, My copy is worn out Ive played it more than all the other 3 70s LPs put together, If they were british or American they would be Talked about like Hendrix and the Beatles. Toady people (including myself) would probably skip bits and not really give it a chance as a whole. I worked to it and its much more challenging than Floyd or Tubular Bells will ever be. You cant compare many pieces of music to Faust's first LP and not just think they were just "Pop" Music.
They Burned bright sold poorly and dissapeared. A bit like the Velvet Undergroud and just as influencial.

1.0 out of 5 stars Music for a naked emperors ears., 29 Sept. 2008
Ross J. Warren "Ross" (Wonderful Swindon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Faust (Audio CD)
Unlike the Faust tape which is essential I have never been able to find anything good about this record other than the original artwork which is amazing. I have never been able to get over the impression that I have been suckered by a number of sniggering conmen when ever I try to "get into" this noise. Faust went on to produce a few worthwhile records but this is not one of them. When ever somebody tells me "it's a classic" I go back and try yet again to "see the light" sadly it just doesn't work for me. A little like Lol Coxhill or Henry Cow's, less worthy cuts this just sounds like people fooling around with the critics and seemingly winning.
Faust should have been called the emperors new music. Frankly I cannot recommend this trash to you but would suggest you spend you hard earned money on the Faust tapes or Faust 4 both of which are much better to this record in every respect.

Faust
Faust by Faust (Audio CD - 2001)