5.0 out of 5 stars What a pleasant surprise!
Published on 8 Jun 2004 by T. SMEDLEY

3.0 out of 5 stars Not similar enough
I love Rialto's first, self-titled album. While there are similarities between that record and this, the parts where it is not similar are not very good.

Published on 20 Feb 2007 by Air Raid Patrol

5.0 out of 5 stars What a pleasant surprise!, 8 Jun 2004
T. SMEDLEY "terrysmedley" (Taunton UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Night on Earth (Audio CD)
Since becoming aware of this album on this website, this has been near the top of my 'CD's to buy' list for some time. However, I had great difficulty finding this album in any record shop whatsoever, in the 2 or 3 towns/cities near where I live. Accordingly, I had to resort to buying it online (which I don't do too often, except for rarities - I like to handle the product before purchasing!). This indeed is a great crime, as it's simply superb and should be a lot more widely available.
I've been aware of Rialto since the original release of 'Monday Morning...' back in my student days, quickly becoming a fan and rate their debut album very highly indeed. I did perhaps listen to it a little too much at one time...but I still come back to it regularly. Hence the prospect of another album's worth of material was very eagerly-awaited!
Well, I was very pleasantly surprised, as it's a genuine progression from the debut and perhaps even a little better. I was fearing simply a re-hashing of that album, lacking in any new ideas, but how wrong I was. My favourite tracks are the opener 'London Crawling', 'Shatterproof' and the final two songs 'Deep Space' and 'Under A Distant Moon', which close the album very nicely.
The first two of these are up there with the afore-mentioned 'Monday Morning 5.19' and 'Summer's Over' as works of sheer genius, with the ability to make you feel yearningly sad yet strangely euphoric at the same time. The drum pattern on 'London Crawling' is particularly effective and the choruses on both are built up to wonderfully and don't disappoint. 'Catherine's Wheel', 'Drive' and 'Anything Could Happen' are not far behind these in quality and I feel one of the album's strenghs is it's consistency, with only one or two weaker songs letting it down slightly ('Idiot Twin' being my least favourite - but it's still damn catchy!).
To put things in perspective, this is one of the few albums I have bought in recent years, which I really get the urge to listen to every day, it's that good. It goes up there with the Boo Radley's last album 'Kingsize' and My Life Story's 'Joined Up Talking' as albums I can listen to over and over again, which just get better and are personal favourites.
Funilly enough, you'd be hard pushed to find either of these unsung classics in any 'mainstream' record store in most towns either!

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong and solid, 26 Sep 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Night on Earth (Audio CD)
Rialto, without doubt one of the most underrated British bands in recent memory, return with a strong and solid second album. Fans of their debut album, 'Rialto', will undoubtedly like this one as well because the music is, generally, very similar. The only real evolving or increased maturity shown in 'Night on Earth' comes with the fact that the band have realised that a chorus doesn't always have to be repeated twice. There is however a major reason why I didn't rate this album five stars and also, similarly, why it is not as good as the first album. Basically, this offering at times seems a little forced, almost as though the band are crying out for attention rather than working to their strengths to attain it. Obvious examples of this come in the form of 'Brilliant Fake' and 'Deep Space' which both apppear to be overly commercial. There is no question that the band deserve much more recognition but these two songs, together with the lyrics in 'Anything Could Happen,' show a sense of desperation which is a little irritating. The first album was better because it was not like this and was much more natural. Still, this is a better album than most and any Pulp or Suede fan should definitely check this one out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rialto do it again, 13 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Night on Earth (Audio CD)
After the haunting melodies (Monday Morning 5:19, Untouchable...) of their magnificent debut album failing to capture the imagination of the wider public (except in Korea!), and the issues surrounding being dropped, signed, dropped and signed again, it would have been very easy for Rialto to throw in the towel.
But, they're back. With a new album which in many ways surpasses the first. Uplifting, depressing and gripping all at the same time, Louis and the boys have shown us that they still have what it takes to produce some of the best music of our time. Part of you wishes that more people would realise that they are out there and they would sell more records, but another part of you is pleased that you are party to one of the best kept secrets in British pop.
A superb album.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not similar enough, 20 Feb 2007
This review is from: Night on Earth (Audio CD)

The best tracks on the album are the ones that hark back to their first release. Catherine's Wheel, Shatterproof and Drive are the songs that remind me why I liked Rialto so much in the first place. Louis Eliot's vocals are some of the most distinctive in pop music today. However the theme of the lyrics is very inconsistant.

For my taste there are too many dance style drum beats. This is a new addition to Rialto's repetoir and one that they were better off without. Most of the better guitar parts have been replaced by keyboards. Whether this is all down to a much decreased line-up or not I don't know.

The three songs mentioned earlier are good enough to warrent a purchase, but all the others are a bit hit and miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bitter sweet epics, reaching for the stars & stealing them!, 19 Jun 2001
delbert (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night on Earth (Audio CD)
A great introduction to a great band. Previously available imported from Asia, this gem at last gets a UK release. Having dropped a drummer and developed a more New Order sound, with keyboards enhancing the dramatic soundscapes of their previous (debut)album, Rialto have found their feet, having lost a record label. "Shatterproof" picks up where Underdogs left off, backing the side of the dreamer with impassioned vocals. "Anyone Out There?" sees paranoia overwhelm the singer in a jaunty number. "Anything Can Happen" is from the heart - this band haven't given up spreading their little piece of musical optimism. If you like the last album, you'll need this! If you like great tunes, lyrics, or the upbeat melancholy of New Order, then try this for size.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 19 Jun 2013
SJ (South South Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night on Earth (Audio CD)
I've often wondered what this album was like, so thought I'd give it a go.
It has to be said it dodn't hit me like their debut album did, but then I do dread to think how many years ago that was now.
If you liked their first album, you'll probably ike this one too.
Louis Eliot's solo stuff is definately worth a listen, although he's a b it more folky - not as cinematic as the Rialto stuff

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: Night on Earth (Audio CD)
Good album, from criminally underated band....better than the 1st one which is ok.
If you are into suede, you'll like this lot!

4.0 out of 5 stars The album I didn't realise existed...., 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: Night on Earth (Audio CD)
I had the first Rialto album from the point they released it, having fallen for Dream Another Dream. The other tracks were great too.

This second album is more of the same, but almost a bit forced, as if they knew what to chase, went for it, but lost a little of the magic. But only a little...

5.0 out of 5 stars quick as a flash, 26 Nov 2010
This review is from: Night on Earth (Audio CD)
this arrived first class and i'm very pleased
with the speed and quality
cant wait to listen do excuse me

Night on Earth
Night on Earth by Rialto (Audio CD - 2002)