Format: DVD|Change

on 6 June 2007
As a depiction of the disintegration of a once loving relationship this film takes some beating. If you watch it with blinkers on there are scenes that are funny in isolation. Taken as a whole, much of it portrays a couple doing their very best to ruin each others lives with increasingly vindictive and cruel words and deeds.

The script, acting and direction are brilliant. Douglas and Turner couldn't have been better chosen as the once deeply in love couple who do their very best to torture each other and simply will not forgive and move on.

The ending is a shock, utterly appropriate and unforgettable.
on 3 January 2010
This film is an amalgam of romance, comedy, thriller and a dash of weepie cos, through it all, he still loves her. Boy meets girl and they get married, then, very slowly over the years tensions mount for Barbara (Kathleen Turner) untill one evening she anounces to Oliver, "every time I look at you I feel I could smash your face in." Oliver, played by Michael Douglas, has no idea this is coming and he looks so stunned you have to feel for him. From there on their relationship decends into outright hatred. They set about hurting each other in ever more destrucive ways. Because of the sadness of the situation, for me the film is never REALLY funny but the thriller aspect is never really menacing either. The story keeps you wondering who's going to get the house they are fighting over, if it's worth having after what they've done to it. The end is unusual and not what we expect.
This is an unusual film which gives us a lot of food for thought. There ARE people out there who are prepared to destroy their own lives just so that they can get one up on someone else. It reminds us of how destructive revenge is and that perhaps we never really know what another person is capable of. There are moments where we have to smile but there is another aspect to this movie - CREEPY. I enjoyed it.
on 8 February 2013
When I wanted to buy this film on blu-ray I looked for reviews to see if the picture was any good but there were none, so I thought I would write this to help any other would be purchasers. The picture on this disc is fine nothing wrong I could see although I do not have the DVD of the film to compare it to. All I can say is at this price (£8) you can't go wrong and its a very enjoyable film to, well worth it. Buy and enjoy.
VINE VOICEon 15 November 2007
Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas are always great together and I think they really do their best duo work together in this film in what is a dark comedy about how being materialistic is not always the best thing to be.

Told in reflection by Danny DeVito as a lawyer, he recalls the story which sent him back to his form chainsmoking self. Turner and Douglas meet and seem to have the perfect marriage for many years with two children growing up to leave the nest (cue Sean Astin (Samwise the Brave)). However over the years Douglas works all day and comes home to his perfect house made perfect by Turner. Deciding enough is enough she asks for a divorce in exchange for the house she built - a house that Douglas will not yeild as it was made with his money.

From there is decends into a battle of increasingly outlandish getbacks to make sure they secure the house including dog pate, cat killing, plate smashing and mousetrap setting. Each time the actions get more desperate.

I won't spoil the ending but its fantastic and I've watched this film so many times it never fails to make me laugh and I never know who to side with either which is great.

If you enjoy comedy, love films gone wrong or dark humour you'll love War Of The Roses
on 15 April 2011
Ironically I bought this film just as i had separated from my husband. I have never in my life laughed as much. It was bang on with how i was feeling at the time. So so funny. As it says in the intro this isn't 'one of those films'. Brilliant!
on 12 August 2015
A brilliant comedy, with three great actors giving a great performance. Evil and cinical up to the end, and cinematically interesting. Danny de Vito's debut and best film as a director
on 18 April 2014
I was about 16 or 17 when I first saw this film and at the time I wasnt too impressed with it, I thought maybe the reason at the time was simply because I didnt understand relationships and divorce so much so just recently I decided to watch it again, my original opinion has definitely changed,now I fully understand the film I see it as a funny yet tragic black comedy that brilliantly shows the upset, anger and emotion that comes with the breakdown of relationships
on 3 October 2010
This is a truly brilliant film about a couple who spent years looking for the PERFECT house and even longer making it just right for them to live in when eventually their relationship falls on hard times and they go through a bad patch and split up but continue living in the same house while fighting each other tooth and nail for the house they both love but neather will give up.
on 26 June 2015
A couples feelings for each other slowly turn from love to hate. There is plenty of comedy in this even though it's a tragic theme and Danny De Vito's firm hand on the directional tiller make sure that it just steps back from going too far. First rate performances from the two leads as well as the always impressive De Vito. Strongly recommended.
on 23 July 2013
First saw this film on tv some time ago and just loved it. It's about a couple going through a bad divorce after many years of marriage and the kids have left home. It's sad in a way but very humorous. Michael Douglas is brilliant and its a film I could watch many times over which I probably will.