on 5 July 2001
I use Publisher a lot for Parish work, especially a quite complicated layout for the Parish Magazine, and I have used Publisher from its early days, when I relinquished a very good programme called Pagestream on the Amiga Platform. My sons became wizards with this programme, which has served them in good stead in business. Publisher by Microsoft is a different animal because it has a very useful Wizard approach to Desk Top Publishing. This means you get a lot of help with setting up your page. The new Templates and useful new set of graphics clips which are now much easier to access through smart tags, and visible icons in the request folder make life very easy. The same basic set of pull down menus has been tidied up, and the saving of files much more visible with a side panel whicvh shows your most recently used files, so no messing about with drop down menus unless you need to, they are still there. A very nice and nifty programme. The upgrade is the best bet for price, but the full programme if you need it is well worth the long term investment, and a lot less than the money paid out over the years for those of us who bought 97 and 2000.
on 7 October 2003
In the summer of 2002 I was landed with the job of editing an association magazine - yet again. The inducement was a shiny copy of MS Publisher 2002, and as an experienced MS Pub 98 user I jumped at the chance to play.
But it was a disappointment - on two different 128K RAM machines running MS Win 98 SE. The Sony 366Mhz Pentium DVD laptop slowed down to a crawl, and the XP-oriented bloatware features overstuffed the 6GB hard drive.
The machine started crashing regularly as clockwork, so we tried the HP 800 Mhz AMD desktop next, with pretty similar results - except that the 20GB hard drive was not so full, and the crawl was not as slow. But it still locked up regularly on a few pages of mostly text.
It took over two weeks of hard graft before we gave up trying workarounds and eventually re-installed my old Publisher 98, which does -almost- all we could want, and was a lot more stable on our systems. It too would still lock up on a big file, but the file had to be -way- bigger than with 2002.
We did use MS Update weekly on both systems, and regularly purged our systems of any spyware or other dross. They ran better for it, but Pub 2002 was still a dog, and also seemed to lack the collection of clip art in Pub 98. Never fully pursued that, for obvious reasons.
We recently bought a monster DVD-writing XP desktop, and Pub 2002 now looks more tempting, but why waste our time on a fairly small improvement? So the CD is still in its case, and Pub 98 soldiers on. Just did our first website with it a week ago.....
So if you have a smaller machine, stick with the older software. They will probably work together better. It works for us.
on 15 November 2003
Many moons ago I cut my teeth on PageMaker through my employer. That software is now reborn in a more interesting incarnation by Adobe after years in the wilderness, but at a price.
MS Publisher has all the promise of a sound piece of software and allows you to do many of the things that a relatively light user wants to do. The intuitive elements are consistent with all the other bits of Microsoft software.
My niggle is that it is appallingly slow and all too often you can get spurious changes in layout after you save a file. More recently I have discovered earlier photographs that I had replaced, suddenly appear several versions of a newsletter later. So, the graphic management is shakey.
I also find it nearly impossible to share my files with owners of older versions of Publisher - even assuming that the files that I send are the same as the one I last saw on saving it!
on 4 October 2003
I have upgraded from publisher 2000. Publisher 2002 is a retrogresive step. 2002 cannot merge date formats! (takes you back about 10 years dosn't it!) 2000 could.
Many other problems with this turkey of DTP software. Microsoft won't help you either, they are equally embarrased and very defensive. They will try to get you to say the software is good by focusing on the bits that work.
Don't buy it!
on 17 November 2003
I've migrated to Serif for DTP and graphics and have never looked back. I am only sorry I can't slough off MS office with something written to the same high standard as the Serif products.
Serif pageplus 9 knocks the spots right off Publisher's page. No contest.
on 6 December 2003
This is the perfect software for people who design posters,newsletters,letters and much more. You can have professional things in no time, It has step by step things and create your own, Its very useful. This software should be included in MS Office. I own a chip shop and its great for everything we need presentation wise. I recommend it to all small or medium businesses.
on 28 August 2001
Working with the rest of Office XP (2002) it fits in brilliantly! Faster, easier, fantasic! The best version of Publisher I have ever seen.
on 25 July 2001
Used in conjunction with office 2000 its excellent !!and so easy to use !