Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£14.95+ £1.26 shipping

on 14 June 2002
Rich,lush and dessert for the senses. I first heard them on Renaissance Revelations, and then on a Back to Mine compilation. I don't want to try and describe them - I can only recommend this album. It's one of the rare few I've ever listened to in my whole life where I like every single song. I like!
on 5 April 2003
I bought this album after hearing 'Swollen' and 'Always' - which, are arguably the best tracks on the album. But as has been said before, Bent can be weak then they are, well bent. Tracks like 'Chocolate Wings' and 'Irritating Noises' can grate like hell if youre not in the mood, while the serious tracks like 'Always' and 'Private Road' are some of the most beautiful pieces of music ever. Its a bit of a mystery they they had to dampen this kind of sound with weird, crazy stuff. However this crazy stuff can be fun, shown by the hidden tracks 'Wrong Rock and 'Toothless Gibbon', but they still pale a bit in comparison to the hidden track 'Laughing Gear' and also 'Invisble Pedstrian'
The good tracks really stand out and are great to listen to, but its a pity about the downers on it. I would recommend this album if you like Zero 7 (who are like the serious side of Bent), Lemon Jelly (who take the crazy side to extremes) or Groove Armada (who are not that much like bent but are amazing)
on 3 September 2003
This CD is simply brilliant. The song " Swollen" has got to be one of the most haunting, poetic and beautiful peices of music ever composed. I listen to that and " Always" over and over without ever tiring of them. I am greatful to a close friend of mind for introducing me to this particular band.
on 8 December 2000
Quite simply one of the best albums I think I will ever own. I can't count the number of times I've listened to it and I love it more each time. It is one of those albums where you put on the first track and just have to listen to it all the way through. In my eyes a timeless classic. Track after track of pure quality production and ideas.
on 21 November 2002
Bent are afraid to admit they make beautiful music. It's true. When the duo (Simon Mils and Nail Tolliday) focus their will on making charming records the results can be stellar: "Private Road" and "Swollen", with writing and dreamy-dreary vocal support of Zoe Johnson, stir acoustic guitar, grand strings, and big themes into poignant ballads surfacing everywhere on chillout collections. Dittos for "I Love My Man," spinning a 60's vinyl snippet from Nana Mouskouri into a simple yet beguiling love song.
So perhaps the blokes were afraid of being tagged the "next-Air", or had an itch to display their sense of humor. Which leads us to 'Exercise 1," a tired concept of spoken word excerpts on music, or "Cylons in Love," manufactured kitsch with vocodered/robotized crooning. Not that these or similar others aren't somewhat enjoyable, just more forced or meandering ("Welly Top Mary") than straightforward counterparts. Simply put, they're at their best when not so bent.
on 18 November 2014
Fantastic!
on 21 February 2004
After hearing all the great reviews for this album, and falling in love with Swollen, I was expecting great things. Ideas of Goldfrapp-esque were obviously my downfall.
Though the album has its moments, once you've heard the gorgeous Swollen, I couldn't help but think "What went wrong then?!"
Give it a shot if you see it cheap...
on 7 February 2013
This review comes from an internet game. You buy an album you've never heard of from a shop. Then you write your impression of it before and after listening to it for the first time.

---BEFORE LISTENING TO IT---

WHY DID YOU SELECT THIS ONE? Many years ago someone made a 3CD jazz compilation for me. The first disc was traditional 30s and 40s stuff. The second disc was probably jazz-rock fusion stuff from the 60s and 70s. The third disc was modern ambient and electronic music that had a jazz element to them. Only two songs stood out from all three discs. 'You Goin' Miss Your Candyman' by Terry Callier (disc two?) and something by Bent from disc three. I can't remember much about it apart from it being a nice, relaxing, sumptuous sounding chill-out track with trilling electronics. I investigated buying a Bent album back then, but they were too expensive and so it was quietly forgotten about. I have not heard anything else by them since. So to find a Bent album for only £1 seemed like a good gamble.

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF THE COVER? Ugly, horrible painting with deliberately bad proportions and messed up vantage lines. It has a well dressed upper class couple sitting down at a dining table with human heads (of the two band members?) on their plates. Really quite ugly and unappealing.

WHAT TYPE OF MUSIC ARE YOU REALISTICALLY EXPECTING? Jazzy ambient music with lots of Moon Safari era Air style bass. Also tinkling electronics instead of acoustic guitars providing the musical meat. I expect about half the songs to have low-key, easily ignored vocals. Perhaps sampled, sonically treated and repeated rather than sung in a standard live way.

BEST CASE SCENARIO IT WILL SOUND LIKE? Really beautiful ambient songs with decent lyrics and solid tunes that are enjoyable and entertaining as an ALBUM and not just on shuffle amongst other music.

WORST CASE SCENARIO IT WILL SOUND LIKE? Droning Zero7 chill-out cobblers that doesn't engage the mind at all if you pay attention to it.

HIGH, LOW OR MIDDLING EXPECTATIONS? A notch above middling. None of the song titles inspire any excitement.

ANY OTHER COMMENTS? I have almost zero memory of what that song sounded like, and I've not read up on Bent, so I think this album is just about valid to be included in this thread. Apart from knowing the band made ambient music, and that I liked one of their songs years ago, I have no other information to go on.

---AFTER LISTENING TO IT---

WHAT DID IT SOUND LIKE? Awful, featureless half arsed crap. Just long stretches of nothing much.

DID YOU LIKE IT? No. Far from it.

DID IT SATISFY, SURPASS OR FAIL YOUR EXPECTATIONS? Failed.

WHAT ARE THE BEST SONGS? N/A

WHAT ARE THE WEAKEST SONGS? Probably all of them.

WOULD YOU RECOMMEND IT TO OTHERS? No.

PLEASE DESCRIBE AND SUM IT UP IN ONE SENTENCE. The worst type of lazy, clichéd ambient chill out music you can imagine.

ANY OTHER COMMENTS? So bad I've chucked it in the recycling bin after listening to only the first three tracks.

I've looked over that homemade jazz compilation. Disc two was listed as Modern Jazz and disc three as Various. Terry Callier is on disc three. There are two Bent songs on disc three. They are 'Private Road' and 'Irritating Noises.' I'm listening to them now. I have no idea how I could have liked them circa five years ago! Also that Callier track doesn't sound so good now either.