5.0 out of 5 stars Programmed to Love
I bought this album on the strength of "Swollen", I had never hear of "Bent" at the time. The album is a fascinating eclectic collection of songs, electronically based rhythms and samples from artists not usually associated with modern electronic/dance music (i.e. Nana Mouskouri, Norrie Paramour Orchestra etc)and the wonderful voice of Zoe Johnston (Faithless) on two...
Published on 18 Jan 2003 by Dave Dark

3.0 out of 5 stars At their best when not so bent
Bent are afraid to admit they make beautiful music. It's true. When the duo (Simon Mils and Nail Tolliday) focus their will on making charming records the results can be stellar: "Private Road" and "Swollen", with writing and dreamy-dreary vocal support of Zoe Johnson, stir acoustic guitar, grand strings, and big themes into poignant ballads surfacing everywhere on...
Published on 21 Nov 2002 by R Diaz

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't believe them...it is not dance, it is exquisite, 14 Aug 2000
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
Encountered on a listening post in a major store - and had to buy the promo single 'Always in my heart'. On that I bought this CD today, on first listen (this very moment) it is Air, it is Faithless, it is brilliant.
It is NOT dance music, so why have I found it genred that way everywhere I look? It is mellowing, stylish and witty.
Dean

5.0 out of 5 stars Quirky but not at all annoying, 31 Aug 2000
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
This album is chilled, quirky, eccentric and basically FUN. The melodies are luvverly and the production is spot on. It reminds me of the new album by Sound5 in the way that it crosses a good deal of boundaries musically and taste-wise! I've had it a couple of weeks and I know it will be one of those Cds I return to over and over again. Apart from the Vocodered robotic voice on some tracks I don't think it is that similar to Air, as it doesn't seem to follow a theme. I think they just pushed ideas as far as they could go. If you like your music dubbed out but not ambiently monotonous I'd recommend this to you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Complex, but not overwhelming(like a fine vin rouge)!, 26 Oct 2001
B. A. Hooker (Outside The Last Post, Beeston(with my laptop).) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
I first heard Bent on the Breezeblock on Radio 1 during the wee small hours of the night. Their beautiful blend of music and sounds quite simply astounded me. Having forgotten about them, I managed to stumble across them in the Bomb(great nightclub), in Nottingham. This night shall forever remain in my subconcience marked 'breathtaking'. A weird hybrid of funk, tropical beats, and 80's nostalgia befeld me. Tracks like 'Always', 'Swollen', and 'Exercise#1' highlight not only their brilliance, but also their dexterity. Basically, you should buy this and enrichen your life(no pressure of course).Ciao.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bent Heaven, 27 April 2001
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
With samples, banging beats, glorious instrumentals and an almost James Bondesque feel it's hard not to fall in love with this cd. It's Air, Lemon Jelly, Zero 7 - it's truly fantastic. Admittedly, the one minute opening sample on Exercise does tire and Chocolate Wings can grate but the rest is amazing. The vocals on swollen and private road are haunting (to me at least), and Always is an emotive, heart bursting, damn fine tune - just like the rest of them really. Superb...

4.0 out of 5 stars this CD is rather good, 8 Jan 2001
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
I saw a review for this album in a magazine and asked for it at christmas! I like Air and Boards of canada, but this is slightly different music. "Irritating noises" is quite irritating but the rest is good.My favourite tracks are exercise 1 and always in my heart, especially with the bass up on maximum!

5.0 out of 5 stars top class, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
Programmed to Love is a great album, full of classic tunes such as Cylons In Love and Swollen. Bent are one of the great progressive dance (if that is the right term) acts of the last decade and should have been much bigger then they were. This album is perhaps their best, uplifting and relaxing. And of course it also features the amazing voice of Zoe Johnston! I would wholeheartedly recommend this album for any electronica fans, as it is unique and top class.

5.0 out of 5 stars best album I've heard this year - straIght up, 10 Oct 2003
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
I don't do a lot of reviews, but I have been stung into this one by some of the rubbish written about this album here. If I hear any more about Swollen and Allways being the best tracks on the album I will get seriously irate. They are good tracks, but stand out only in their being more upbeat, more commercial and a damn sight less original and musically uplifting than the majority of the rest of of the album. Take Cylons in Love for example - lush acoustic riffs in the foreground, accompanied by the metallic crooning of lovelorn robots - you simply don't get this sort of stuff anywhere else - and what's more the quality of the melodic composition is as high (if not higher) than the originality of the arrangement.
I know I am not the only person to listen to this album solidly for months - then forget about it - then rediscover and listen to it for months again - it's that good. And anyone who says that Swollen and Allways are the highlights here must be severely aesthtically retarded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healing, 3 Oct 2002
Christian Lowensprung (TRONDHEIM Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
I bought this album for one song: "Always."
But it would prove that Always was just a tip of the iceberg.
The pearls within this disk can not be discribed, but has to be listened to. Each track is unique, and boosts the mysterious name "bent" even further. My worship though, has to be "Cylons in Love" which to me is a very special song which I hold true to my heart.

Easy listening electronic music such as this can't be measured in price, gold, or any inconvinient substance known to man.
I cherish it as I cherish love, food, pure water, my freedom, and what I need to survive. Music can heal all wounds. This is that kind of music. Spear yourself a trip to the shrink, and discover the healing power of music. Buy this album, now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Healing, 3 Oct 2002
Christian Lowensprung (TRONDHEIM Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
I bought this album for one song: "Always."
But it would prove that Always was just a tip of the iceberg.

I cherish it as I cherish love, food, pure water, my freedom, and what I need to survive. Spear yourself a trip to the shrink, and discover the healing power of music. Buy this album, now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Like smooth chocolate, 14 Jun 2002
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
Rich,lush and dessert for the senses. I first heard them on Renaissance Revelations, and then on a Back to Mine compilation. I don't want to try and describe them - I can only recommend this album. It's one of the rare few I've ever listened to in my whole life where I like every single song. I like!

Programmed to Love
Programmed to Love by Bent (Audio CD - 2000)