5.0 out of 5 stars Programmed to Love
Published on 18 Jan. 2003 by Dave Dark

3.0 out of 5 stars At their best when not so bent
Bent are afraid to admit they make beautiful music. It's true. When the duo (Simon Mils and Nail Tolliday) focus their will on making charming records the results can be stellar: "Private Road" and "Swollen", with writing and dreamy-dreary vocal support of Zoe Johnson, stir acoustic guitar, grand strings, and big themes into poignant ballads surfacing everywhere on...
Published on 21 Nov. 2002 by R Diaz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Programmed to Love, 18 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the strength of "Swollen", I had never hear of "Bent" at the time. The album is a fascinating eclectic collection of songs, electronically based rhythms and samples from artists not usually associated with modern electronic/dance music (i.e. Nana Mouskouri, Norrie Paramour Orchestra etc)and the wonderful voice of Zoe Johnston (Faithless) on two. There are at least four variations of this album available (2 UK versions,US version and French as far as I am aware), the 13 track UK release is possibly the best choice as it contains all but one of the tracks on the US version(the 10 track UK version does however feature a 19 minute track af three sections called "Always"; containing "Always","Toothless Gibbon" and a third sction not present on any other release).
This is an album that has become one of my firm favourites, lookin forward to the next release "The Everlasting Blink" (February) featuring artistes from disparate areas i.e. David Essex,Captain & Tenille and Billy Jo Spears.
I am convinced that these will be two classic albums many people will have in their collection in ten years time.

5.0 out of 5 stars The thinking mans chill out album. Quirky, Soothing & Clever, 14 July 2001
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
These guys deserve megastar status and personally I think it's only a matter of time. Quite a few of these tracks have already been used in TV adverts and most Ibisa chill-out collections will have a Bent track tucked in them somewhere. From the opening quirkiness of "Excerise 1" with it's swirling synths and soothly stabbing chords the chilled pace is set for a truly exhilarating ride through dreamland. Each track has an individuality of it's own yet still having that undeniably cool Bent sound. Soothing Female Vocals on "Swollen" & "Private Road", Opera inflected vocals on "Always" (I swear I can see Snow White skipping through the woods), Mike Flowers (or is it Edwyn Collins?) type vocals on "Chocolate Ways", and even the children singing "London bridge is falling down" on the final hidden track (believe me it works) transport you through glorious, richly textured soundscapes. Play it once and it will never leave your CD player. An odd but strangely wonderful sense of humour is constant thoughout this album and once you've succumbed to Bent's soothing charm you'll be hooked and hunting down all of the 12" singles which are all totally worthy on their own. Outstanding!

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete work, 14 Dec. 2002
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
You will have heard Bent already - they are the sort of band that produce music that the good TV and advertising people pick up on. It's fantastic - easy, tuneful, haunting, complex (which I know contradicts the easy). One of the few albums that I will actually listen to all the way through - a complete work with no bum tracks. Something to come home to and relax with. Great song titles. I love the bonus track (although recording the five minutes of silence before it kicks in on my MP3 player is a bit of a waste.
If you've bought any compilation with a Bent track on, and like it, you will not regret exploring them further.
Lovely Lovely Lovely

4.0 out of 5 stars The new Air?, 22 Oct. 2001
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the back of hearing the superb Private Road, the instrumental part of which you'll recognise from the Carlsberg advert from earlier this year: 'If Carlsberg ran a bank, it would probably be the best bank in the world.' The vocals on Private Road simply add to this gloriously blissful tune.
The rest of the album is similarly dreamy and mellow and you'll love it if you're a connoisseur of chilled out sounds along the lines of Air and Zero 7.
I'm usually one of those people that reads album reviews with a fair degree of scepticism. Trust me when I tell you Programmed To Love is an absolute gem. It's one of those rare albums that keeps you captivated from start to finish, and I liked it so much it inspired me to write this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Schizophrenic..., 3 Oct. 2005
Mr. Robert Murphy "themurphia" (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
There are songs of genius on this album, and that's what makes it so listenable. There's also some dross. At least the dross is different and unformulaic. To start with the bad stuff -'Cylons in Love' and 'Chocolate Wings' take at least 100 listens before getting used to. But the good stuff is so memorable. 'Private Road' is heartbreaking, 'Swollen' is one of the most beautifully sad songs I've ever heard. It's delivered with stunning vocals. But my favourite track is 'Always.' It reminds me of early 80s electronica, of The Pet Shop Boys at their beginning - it shows what magic can be worked with sampling. If only Bent had cut out the naff three or four songs - it would be timeless. Bent's best album is 'Aerials' But 'Programmed to Love has moments of brilliance and moments of rubbish - this is a schizophrenic album that's definitely worth a listen.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very nice sounding album, 20 Nov. 2005
J. Bushell "ambient_junky" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
I bought this album after seeing them interviewed on TV. It wasn't there latest album but it was the cheapest, so I went for it.
If you like modern sounding dance, chill-out, and something well produced then you can't go wrong with this.
I think albums have a perfect time of year. This one is a Spring time album.
The first track is also a funny introduction to the album. Don't be put off by it. I laugh everytime, and theres no hiss involved whatever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Out Of This World, 17 July 2001
Mr. I. Taylor (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
I was recommended this cd by a friend who said it was some of the most chilled music he had ever heard. Upon hearing the first few tracks especially Private Road and and later Swollen the music becomes so overwhelming you can't help but listen to it again and again. The singer Zoe Johnson has an amazing voice which I hope to hear more of in the future. My view go out and buy this CD as you will not be able to put it down

5.0 out of 5 stars Chillout classic, 28 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
I bought this on partially recommendation, but due to the track 'I love my Man' which is on the Back to Mine Faithless album, which samples a Nana Mouskori track.
To just name out standout tracks may seem pointless, as this is just a great and very varied album.
Using sublime female vocals and samples which just seem to fit.
It also seems that the band is really enjoying themselves, but this just contains so many catchy songs I can't recommend it enough, its also cheap to buy now so..go for it..chillout!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Music to wash your windows by., 19 Feb. 2003
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
I bought this recently and it's been played quite a lot in the few days that I've had it. The highlights in my opinion are 'Private Road', 'I Love My Man', 'Swollen' and 'A Ribbon For My Hair'.
I love 'Cyclone Love' for the first minute or so... a female vocal that is really very interesting with original effects over it... but then they have completely (in my opinion) destroyed the remainder of the song with an entirely annoying and out of place electronica voice throughout.
I can't say I like all of this album, but that doesn't mean that it's not good. There is perhaps a small handful of albums that I like all the way through. This is not one of them, but I'm glad that I have it. I bought it on the strength of just having heard 'Private Road' and to be honest, I was a little disappointed that the rest of the album resembled Air more than an original recording that I was hoping for. Having written quite negatively for most of this, the album definately has been growing on me more and more, and I would recommend this to anyone who wanted to know what Bent were about. Some of it is quite inspiring stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, unusual, accessible, 2 Sept. 2000
This review is from: Programmed to Love (Audio CD)
Lovely from beginning to end - possibly the best CD I've bought this year so far. It is indescribable, quirky, and with each track I thought well it can't get any better, but the superb tracks keep coming - hardly a 'dud' track on the whole CD. I usually buy drum/bass/garage/hiphop style, but was seduced by a review, and this is both almost folky, in a 'Forest' kind of way with beats and tunes.
Maybe they'll become big one day?

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Programmed to Love
Programmed to Love by Bent (Audio CD - 2000)