5.0 out of 5 stars The Calling are just....WOW!
Published on 7 April 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars What an album
This album has a different sound in every song. Some are sexy, some are sad and a few is quite fun. I would advise someone who's 14 - 24 years of age to get it. And if you don't like this kind of music you'll start to like it when you hear this. This album sometimes can get boring. But if you go on holiday with this album, the songs would get stuck in your head and the...
Published on 4 Oct. 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars The Calling are just....WOW!, 7 April 2002
This review is from: Gotta Have Gospel 2 (Audio CD)
When I first heard 'Wherever You Will Go' on Virgin radio, it hit me in places I never thought music could effect!And its not where you think either, you sick people!It made my eyes glaze other,the vocals, the lyrics and the bass to this track just blew me away! I decided to buy the album which is equally as brilliant! Taking notice of the two best tracks:'Adrienne' and the tear jerking 'Stigmatized'. This album spent a good few months in my CD player (until Michelle Branch made her way into my collection!). The way to explain the band is: The vocal talents of Jason Wade from Lifehouse, the catchy riffs of Vertical Horizon and the look of an 80's punk band! These guys are going to the top! If you like THE CALLING, you should also look out for these other brilliant albums/artists:
Everything You Want - Vertical Horizon
No Name Face - Lifehouse
The Spirit Room - Michelle Branch

5.0 out of 5 stars Camino Palmero - The Must-Have Album of the Decade, 28 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Camino Palmero (Audio CD)
Very rarely does an album come along that can be listened to over and over again without eventual boredom setting in, but with The Calling's debut album, prepared to be surprised. The combination of Alex Band's stunning (and only 21 year old) vocals, and the impressive guitar skills of co-founder/co writer Aaron Kamin, make this album hard to resist. "Wherever You Will Go" is the best known and first released, but don't expect the whole album to be ballads. This California rock band know how to write, and they seriously know how to belt out a tune. From the harsh and angry "Adrienne" (...What I'm needing now some sweet revenge...) and insightful "Just That Good" (...What a Nightmare it Must Be Just Being You...) there's never a dull or cliched moment. The most beautiful lyrics are in "Stigmatized" (HAs to be heard live) and "Could It Be Any Harder", and you can tell this is no run-of-the-mill production.
For jaded UK music lovers tired of bubblegum pop and manufactured wannabes, Camino Palmero is a blast of fresh air that'll restore your faith in the music industry. It's not painfully dark and heavy, and it's not sickly sweet. It's unique and honest - by far the most astounding debut this year, or even the decade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful debut - alternative rock at it's best, 14 May 2002
This review is from: Camino Palmero (Audio CD)
This is easily one of the best albums, and as the Calling begin to crack Europe the rest of you won't find it hard to see why.
The album begins well, but doesn't really pick up until the anthemic 'Wherever You Will Go', a huge hit in America and the album's standout track. However it doesn't end there! Other stunners include Adrienne, We're Forgiven and Stigmatized. Alex Band's voice is on a par with Rob Thomas and he really carries the album, although he is very, very well backed up by the songwriting and rifferey of the guitarist Kamin. This is one of the album's of the year and it deserves to do well over here!
(buy if you like any of the following bands : goo goo dolls, mathcbox 20, lifehouse, nine days, get the idea?!)

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I listened to it 4 times in 1 day!!!, 12 July 2002
This review is from: Camino Palmero (Audio CD)
Ok, I first heard the single "Wherever You Will Go" the day before it was released in U.K, and you just know I was straight down that shop the next day to buy it! Same story here! Bearing in mind I'd only heard that one song, I took a chance anyway and bought the album - was not disappointed. The Calling have, in my opinion, a very unique sound - and it's definately a good one. Every song on this album is a good one, it's hard to believe that so many good songs are available on one album. The "Wherever You Will Go" single is the best track on here (a fact reflected in it's no. 3 U.K chart entry!), but coming up close behind are "Could It Be Any Harder" (a strong rock ballad) and "Stigmatized" (a lovingly catchy number!) I do find the lyric/music arrangement of "Nothing's Changed" a bit...abstract perhaps, but it doesn't matter when you've got so many good tracks. It really has to be heard to be believed, but it may just be the best album you'll buy this year!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I am calling you to listen to them., 14 May 2002
This review is from: Camino Palmero (Audio CD)
A new American outfit, The Calling`s debut album is one to savour. Highlighted by their hit single `Wherever you will go`, unfortunately The Calling are yet to have been graced the British Isles with any well-deserved fame.
This album grows fom strength to strenth, and all of the tracks are superb and are laden with subtleties. Memorable melodies and emotion characterize this album.
My personal recommendations are `Could it be any harder`, `Stigmatized` and of course `Wherever you will go`. The more you hear their album the more you will realise how good they are. In years to come, they will no doubt be one of the biggest names. Enjoy them while they are relatively unknown.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing voice, amazing lyrics, 30 Jan. 2003
Stardizzy (Swansea, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Camino Palmero (Audio CD)
Alex Band has a wonderful vocal - amazing range, full of heart and emotion,with extraordinary tonal qualities, but also very natural and unforced. Although the lyrics and melodies are fantastic it is probably Alex's voice that makes this album exceptional.
The lyrics are excellent - dealing with both the personal and the universal without seeming pretentious. Some of my favourite lyrics include "So light me again, cause my heart is turning black" (Final Answer), "And we play our games of sweet denial" (We're Forgiven),"And you became my favorite drug/
So let me take you right now and swallow you down" (Unstoppable) and "you'll need love to light the shadows on your face." (Wherever You Will Go). Speaking as a poet I find the lyrics generally very strong on imagery and pathos - a refreshing change from most of the rhyme-by-rote pap common in most contemporary music.
My favourite track was the live version of Wherever You Will Go - Alex's voice on this track is truly exceptional. This leads me to my only very minor gripe - I would like to see slightly less *production* on the other tracks and more room for Alex's voice to shine. This is only a very minor quibble, though. I look forward to the release of a live album as Alex is one of those rare singers who sounds even better live, if that is possible.
Other stand-out tracks include Could It Be Any Harder, Adrienne and Stigmatized.
This has to be one of the most consistent albums of 2002, there are no weak tracks - and with two young and talented songwriters this must bode well for future releases. It hasn't been out of my CD player since I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars this album is an unmissable experience!, 16 Mar. 2002
This review is from: Gotta Have Gospel 2 (Audio CD)
The Calling are an American band largely unknown in the UK, i myself only discovered them when i saw them on the American show TRL,yet they are a band that should definitely not be missed.
This album is undoubtably one of the best i have heard in a long time,it has extremely moving lyrics, and Alex Band has a heartrendering voice that adds extra emotion to each track. you really can feel the emotions through his amazing voice.
the single "wherever you will go" is one of the best songs on the album, and is the song most people may know, but other tracks to point out are Unstoppable and Adrienne, both amazing songs, and i believe, possible future hits.
i would say they are quite similar to Lifehouse, the goo goo dolls and train, yet the calling still maintain an original sound. this is an unmissable album by an extremely talented band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my GOD!!!, 18 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Gotta Have Gospel 2 (Audio CD)
That's what I thought when I heard "Wherever you will go". The track was used for the Star Trek: Enterprise promo videos in the States, one of which found it's way into my e-mail. Once I heard it I had to find out who it was and what else they'd done! Finally tracking down the name of the band, and their album, I ordered it straight away. From track one to track eleven, this album ROCKS! There's no other way to say it. I was stunned at the quality of music from these relatively young performers. I can't wait for their next album, and I'll be first in the queue for any UK gig featuring them. If you're a fan of Alternative Indie/Rock, such as the Goo Goo Dolls, then you need to own this album. If you are looking for something new and exciting for your music collection, you need to own this album. In fact, if you have a CD player, you need to own this album! Happy listening!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unsure of the calling? Listen to this!!, 10 July 2002
Shrinking_Violet81 (Motherwell, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Camino Palmero (Audio CD)
First impressions I had of the Calling when I heard them on TRL with my back to the screen was that they were a new breed of American alternative rock that I loved. I assumed that the lead singer was a big burly guy in the vein of Creed's lead singer, what I din't expect when I went on a quest to find out about the band was the lead singer was a tiny young guy. But that's what I got. How Alex Band manages to squeeze such a powerful voice out of such a tiny frame is a question that no doubt will puzzle many people for years but when the results are as wonderful as this who are we to argue?
Camino Palmero has barely been out of my CD or MD player since I got it. Like the equally wonderful Lifehouse's album No Name Face, Camino Palmero is crammed full of songs that most bands spend their career trying to acieve the same emotional depth. Wherever You Will Go is the first single and is an outstanding one to introduce the newest fan to the album with it's blend of rock and meaningful lyrics. If you can find a song that describes the troubles faced by inter-faith or gay relationships than Stigmatized then I will be incredibly surprised. The meaning that the band is able to create is amazing considering this is their first album despite being a band for years.
For me, the highlights is Stigmatized, the future single Adrienne (which I dare you all not to sing after a few listens) and Could It Be Any Harder, a sad and pain tinged song about loss. Also worth a mention is the fantastic Just That Good which is a reflection on the troubles of a life of privelege.
It's hard to pick out a weak track as the truth is you are really picking out the weakest from an album that wipes the floor with most of it's competitors but if I had to choose I guess I would say the opening track Unstoppable is not as strong as the rest but that;s only because I am pushed.
I recomend you invest in this album, crank the volume up, listen to it a few times and prepare to start singing along as every song has a relevance to something!
Sit back and enjoy and start waiting like the rst of us for a UK tour and the second album. This is a must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing discovery..., 14 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Camino Palmero (Audio CD)
A friend recommended 'Wherever You Will Go' to me and I have never looked back. Whether you want music to play loud in the car (WYWG, Adrienne) or a ballad to chill to (Could it be any harder, Stigmatized) there's a song for you (and I love them all). Frankly, I could listen to this for Alex Band's voice alone, but TC are so much more than that, with lyrics that make you think and have a real story behind them (I wouldn't want to be the girl who inspired 'Adrienne' for a start!). Aaron Kamin - co-founder, co-songwriter and lead guitarist - deserves an equal share of the credit. This band really ought to be more well-known than they are.

Gotta Have Gospel 2
Gotta Have Gospel 2 by The Calling (Audio CD - 2001)