Style Name: 52mm|Change

on 1 July 2009
I used to have a rubber hood on my old film SLR's 50mm lens many years ago, and have been meaning to get one for my DSLR for ages.

This is a great hood, fits the Nikon 50mm D perfectly. The thread is actually metal, which was a surprise for such a cheap hood.

Best of all, as it's retractable you can just leave it on the lens. No need to remove it to put the lens in a bag, plus it gives the lens some cushioning and protection.
on 7 August 2006
I bought this item to fit onto a Canon 58mm AF Zoom lens. It fitted perfectly, and not only does the hood do the hooding thing keeping glare from the lens, the rubber structure provides a modicum of protection for the end of the lens - enough to save it from damage by a klutz like me. Cheap, easy to fit and effective. The only down side of the silicon rubber materials is that it seems to attract fluff, especially that from our cat. Nevertheless, a great item.
on 24 April 2012
Excellent value, compared to the Nikon. However I've not had the Nikon version so I can't say if it is worth the extra cash.
I bought this for taking pictures of animals at the zoo, many of them are behind glass screens which has caused problems in the past with reflections. It worked well, especially if the shot was obtained with the lens square to the glass.
It is now permanently attached to my 50mm lens as it folds back nicely. I've had no problems with vignetting, even with an additional sky light filter attached.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 February 2011
This lenshood is extraordinarily well made for its price. Hama accessories aren't always, their polarisers are a little iffy and wear quickly. This hood feels it will last.

The design harks back to the days when cameras came with a 50mm lens as standard (hence the term, 'standard'.) They didn't come with lenshoods and you'd buy such as this, collapsible for storing in the camera bag or to go in the oft used camera pouch.

For those wishing to use it on a zoom lens, or indeed any lens that this hood was not designed for, DON'T. However good value something is, if it doesn't fit, and thus doesn't work, a complete waste of time.

Using your free hand to block out the sun is better than using the wrong one, or no hood at all. Look to get ONLY the lenshood designed for any particular lens, or as in this case, one made by an independent.
on 1 September 2012
Great little product. I can put the camera in the bag without the need of taking it off, since it collapses on itself. Does the job.
on 21 June 2011
I prefer the foldable rubber lens hoods before the hard plastic ones. It is always there when you need it and folded back it offers some protections from bumps.
The rubber may die with time, but it is cheap enough to allow me to buy a new one when that day comes.
on 10 March 2009
Be sure to read the description of this product, specifically the part that says "The lens hood is for lenses with a focal length of 45 - 55mm".

I have a Canon 450d with the 18-55mm kit lens, and while this hood fits it fine, if you zoom out wider than 45mm then you get the most severe vignetting I've ever seen. Large parts of the corners of the photos are black because the hood is appearing in the picture.

I don't recommend this hood for use with the Canon 450d kit lens unless you always use the lens zoomed in to its maximum focal length. Its probably best suited to standard/prime (i.e. non zoom) lenses (but not the Canon 50mm F1.8 II because that has a 52mm thread on it).

If you have a suitable lens that this will fit then its a good cheap hood.
on 13 March 2012
Works like a charm, flexible. Could be adjusted perfectly if you have filter as well. I can have my UV filter + hood + lens cap all the time. So don't need to take it off since it can be folded being rubber made.
on 16 October 2013
great bit of kit, keeps the suns glare off the lens n when it not sunny it just folds back, I also use it when I need to take photos thru glass, because once propped to the glass it shields reflections!!
on 28 April 2011
I am using it for my Nikkor 50mm f/1.8. It's great for what it was meant to be. Also good for protection and it allows filters.

I am loving it.