5.0 out of 5 stars nifty fifty honest review
As a keen photography enthusiast i have decided to take a plunge and upgrade my old Sony a200 system (that i couldn't get on with) to a canon 7d - the first mistake i have made was buying expensive body and not having the funds to buy a decent lens. I love photographing people so i thouht a prime lens will be the best choice for me (this is a fixed focal lens ) 50mm lens...
Published on 23 April 2012 by Mrs.R

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for the sting in the tail!
I bought 2 of these one for myself and one for my son, mine is being used on an EOS400D and is great, I would recommend the lens optics for low light use without the use of flash .... however when my son tried his lens on his EOS450D it jammed on the mount!! Apparently this happens to be a recognised problem .. as I found out when I contacted Canon about the problem. They...
Published on 9 July 2011 by Dragonz

‹ Previous | 1 2 380 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute gem, 18 Jan 2008
This review is from: Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens (Electronics)
Got this little gem today after reading alot of reviews. Well, I've only had it a day...but initial impressions are that this is a very fine little lens indeed. I've tested it against the kit lens that came with my 400D (Canon EF-S 18-55mm) and it just blows it away on every count. The sharpness is way better, the colour is richer...there's just no comparison. This lens is better by a country mile. They (Canon) should make this the kit lens on their entry level DSLRs. I guess alot of people just prefer the convenience of a zoom, but this lens will transform your photography. Ok, it's all plastic construction (except the lens of course!!) Even the lens mount is plastic, but it has a reasonably durable feel about it, and as long as you treat it well and look after it, I'm sure it will last fine. And, the best bit is the price - and that's the real clincher that makes this lens a 'must have'.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you've got a 'kit lens' get this!, 28 Nov 2007
This review is from: Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens (Electronics)
This is a great lens - I originally bought it for my Canon EOS 50 film camera and now use it with my EOS 350D. If you've only tried a Canon kit lens, get one of these to see the full potential of your camera you will be amazed at what it can do.

This is not just a 'good lens for the price' it is a good lens in terms of its optical quality, regardless of price. You will never regret buying this lens and will realise that you do not need a zoom lens as much as you think! The f1.8 will become infinitely more important when you can take photos without flash indoors.

Build quality is fine - OK it's plastic but so is most of your camera. It is very light but I have never worried about it falling apart.

This would be a very good lens if it were 3x the price at this price it is unbelievable and unless you already have Canon L type lenses, this is the best way to see your camera's full potential - oh and the lack of a zoom makes you a better photographer by forcing you to consider composition more! and fitter by making you walk rather than zooming away...

Oh and if you want to go wider, I recommend the Sigma 17-70 F2.8 - F4.5 DC Macro - great value and good quality. (you will not accept the results from your kit lens after seeing the results from this 50mm lens!

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but perfectly formed, 22 Sep 2006
Stephen Sowerby "Steve" (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens (Electronics)
Light, small but superb optics. The wide aperture and the size means that low light shots move from being probable to being possible.

The image quality is superb too.

I could go on but you've probably got the message - and no, I don't work for Canon.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens, 13 Jun 2010
This review is from: Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens (Electronics)
I can't really add much to what has already been said about this lens. It feels cheap and insubstantial. It's what I suppose it is - just a few bits of thin glass stuck into a thin plastic body. BUT - it works!!!!!
In my opinion, it just can't be beaten for value and performance. I am a semi-pro and I have to work sometimes in demanding environments. I would never be without this lens. If I dropped it - I'm sure it wouldn't survive, but hey - I'd just go and get another one. Incidentally - a GREAT BIG THANK YOU TO AMAZON is due. I bought one of these lenses a few months ago and after a few weeks a loose piece of plastic appeared inside the lens cavity which got in the way of every picture. I called Amazon who were amazingly helpful and efficient. I actually had a new relacement lens rushed to me BEFORE I sent the faulty one back. It was the best service I have ever had!
Thank you Amazon. Another very good reason to shop here!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, what a difference, 31 Jan 2007
Gary Congdon "garymx5" (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens (Electronics)
Having last year bought a DSLR (350D) with a zoom lens and then experienced its limitations with quality (poor sharpness) and inconsistant AF focussing (hit and miss to say the least) I decided to buy this prime lens to see if that helped improve the situation. Wow, what a difference, this is a real corker for the price. The images captured with this lens is in a different league - pin sharp even at high ISO's and fantastic replication of colour and levels. Yes it is plastic and will hunt if the subject is not central but it gets a highly recommended from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Lens, 18 May 2007
This review is from: Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens (Electronics)
Hi - can I echo what other folks say about this lens?

I, like many others, bought the 350K with the kit lenses and realised these are very soft. I then invested on the 50mm 1.8 lens and also the 28m 2.8 lens. They are both very sharp and great value, as other reviewers say. The more expensive 50mm lenses (there are three I think made by Canon) are significantly more and do not deliver a comparable leap in quality.

If you are looking for a wider shot, by the way, do have a think about buying the 28mm lens - costs more, but less of a telephoto!

The one thing you can do most to improve the quality of your photos with both the 350D and 400D cameras is to get these fixed length lenses.

I still use these lenses on my backup equipment, since I started doing photography professionally and am very happy indeed with them! My main kit is all L lenses, but these are much more expensive and an overkill for your camera if it is not a 1DS, 1D or 5Ds.

Hope this helps!

5.0 out of 5 stars You have Canon DSLR? Why don't you have this lens yet?, 24 May 2009
This review is from: Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens (Electronics)
Now, all of my Canon owning friends have this lens, and it is the favorite lens for almost all of them. Expect of course for those few who can afford L-series lenses, but comparing this to an L-series lens isn't fair anyway.

It is very fast with f/1.8. And for the money it is the fastest good quality lens you can get. Canon's next prime lens with faster aperture of f/1.4 costs about four times as much. Yes it is faster and USM, but you would expect it to be with that price tag.

Obviously this isn't a "cover all situations" lens, as it is a prime 50mm lens. So to zoom you either walk forward or backward, or do cropping later. It is for specific situations, but it does work in those situations so well. Those situations mainly being portraits and low light photography. With the large aperture it can create stunning portraits with blurred backgrounds. It allows you easily to take those portrait shots you always see and admire. The large aperture also allows it to be used in situations where a normal lens wouldn't be fast enough, using this 50mm lens often allows you to shoot without flash, allowing the pictures to have more natural lighting.

The motor is a bit noisy (it's no USM) and sometimes in low light situations it occasionally has some problems trying to find focus, but all very minor setbacks in my oppinion. It is very light, and yes I admit the build quality isn't mabye greatest, but what did you expect for the price? It is sturdy enough however (it's been through some rough trips). The size and weight make it easy to carry in your camera bag, even if you are using something else as your main lense. Though I know many who use this as their main lens.

If you have a Canon DSLR, then you need this lens. End of discussion. Unless of course money is no obstacle, then go buy the f/1.4 USM lens you rich bastard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not put off buying this lens!, 9 Nov 2007
This review is from: Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens (Electronics)
I had recently purchased the canon 400D and although it is a brilliant camera was finding myself a little stuck with the kit lens and despite being told that upgrading would improve picture quality, soldiered on regardless.

That is until i bought this lens! For the price prepare to be amazed. The quality is absolutely beautiful and at 1.8 you can get some truly stunning vusual effects with the depth of field. I would do nothing but recommend this lens. Don't let the price put you off! There is nothing cheap and cheerful about this, it excells the kit lens and i wished i had purchased this earlier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect companion for EOS 400, 23 May 2007
A customer (Asturias) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens (Electronics)
If you are thinking of buying the CANON EOS 400 or 350, I recommend you get the body only option and then buy this lens.

It costs a third of the top of the range 50 mm lenses and produces the almost identical results.

It works very well with low light conditions and produces sharp pictures.

This is a fixed focal length lens ideal for indoor portraits (not for group photography indoors) and landscape photography

The white balance is excellent and It weights 132 grams only

4.0 out of 5 stars Fab Present - Challenging, 2 April 2008
A. Hayes (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens (Electronics)
Was bought this as a present (lucky me!) and it is a teeny tiny little lens.

Very small, light and very bright, it does take some getting used to if you normally use zoom lenses. You must move to compose the frame rather than zooming in and out to frame the shot.

I keep trying to use it like my macro (also a fixed focal length) but it doesn't allow you to get as close so I'm still getting to grips with it.

It has performed wonderfully in relatively low-light and produced bright vivid images. It is a flattering portrait lens and a good general purpose lens.

It is fast, bright and focusses quickly so long as you aren't too close to the subject. I'm told (by someone more knowledgeable about these things) that the optics are better on a prime lens, so you get a pretty good lens for a pretty painless price!

‹ Previous | 1 2 380 | Next ›