4.7 out of 5 stars1,216

VINE VOICEon 23 May 2007
If you are thinking of buying the CANON EOS 400 or 350, I recommend you get the body only option and then buy this lens.

It costs a third of the top of the range 50 mm lenses and produces the almost identical results.

It works very well with low light conditions and produces sharp pictures.

This is a fixed focal length lens ideal for indoor portraits (not for group photography indoors) and landscape photography

The white balance is excellent and It weights 132 grams only
on 6 September 2007
I bought this at the same time as my Canon 350D. The images taken with the supplied kit lens don't even compare to ones taken with this. I've barely used the kit lens since.

I really love this 50 mm. The colours, the brightness, the depth of field, everything. It really shows off the capabilities of a DSLR.

Have taken beautiful portraits and indoor group shots (when have been able to stand far back enough!) and the results are amazing. When the aperture is fully open (1.8) and ISO set high enough, bright, blur-free shots can be obtained in even dimly-lit rooms, eg parties etc.

And the price.. so cheap!

Don't even think about not buying this lens!
on 22 September 2006
This lens is fantastic for the price. I have used it on my Canon 20d since Christmas. The lens does not have the best build quality or the best optics available.However the results are pretty good,much better than the efs 18 55 lens supplied with the camera. Also being a prime lens and not a telephoto, the user is forced to consider the composition of the photo much more. I would recommend this lens to anyone who has just bought a canon digital slr with the efs 18 - 55 mm lens. In fact I wish I had bought the camera body only and this lens.
on 19 February 2007
I bought this lens for my Canon EOS 400D and has became my favorite in term of depth of field. You can create photo like you see in the magazine.

I am a spoiled user since all my other lenses have got USM (Ultrasonic focus motor) which make them quicker and quieter but at a price.

This lense is maybe noisy and a little bit slower to focus but at a really good price!

You need to work out your composition since there is no zoom, but this is somehow great as it help you to take better photos. You are observing more before taking the shot rather than just using the easy zoom option with other lenses.

It is a must have really.
Please don't take the Amazon star rating too serious - every lens has its pros and cons that I wouldn't want to squeeze into a single one-dimensional figure...
A quick note about me: I have been into SLR cameras and lenses for more than 20 years - as a hobby in the beginning and professionally later. Maybe because of my technical background I started testing my own lenses quite a while ago. I have a (no longer so) little test lab of my own where I do 6 different image quality tests (after taking a lens out for a while).

The EF 50mm f/1.8 II is an ultra compact and lightweight lens that offers a great maximum aperture at an incredibly low price. It's best for available light and portrait photography but can be used for all sorts of things. It is build from rather cheap-looking plastics and comes with the tiniest focus ring and a poor autofocus performance - mainly due to its lack of an ultra sound motor. It's a no-frills lens that comes without extras like image stabilization but though it's really a low-cost lens the image quality is quite impressive. Apart from the very low f-stops (wide open apertures) the lens is sharp from center to corner. It doesn't suffer any curvature of the focal plane ("field curvature") and neither are color errors ("chromatic aberrations") in focused parts of the image ("transverse CA") an issue with this lens. But out-of-focus parts of the image do suffer from color fringes ("axial CA") and due to the lens's angled aperture shape the beauty of blurred image parts ("bokeh") could also be better. Distortion and corner shadow ("vignetting") is also an issue with this lens but both are within acceptable ranges and can be corrected for in post.

The EF 50mm f/1.8 II costs only a third of the EF 50mm f/1.4 USM but offers a very similar image quality. In fact the EF 50mm f/1.8 II has a better performance in a couple of the image quality tests. The lens's weakest spot is certainly its autofocus and the lack of manual override during autofocus operation (which is usally only available with USM lenses). If you can come to terms with that the EF 50mm f/1.8 II will be a great addition to your kit and - due to its great maximum aperture - will potentially spur your creativity.

A much more detailed review of this lens together with all test shots, sample images and technical data is available on my website LensTests_com.
on 29 January 2013
The lens takes great portrait photos and I was really happy with it until I found out that it was stuck and didn't want to come out. It's nothing to do with the release button because the lens does slightly turn but then it gets stuck and doesn't turn any more. It's a shame because it's such a good lens and this was a replacement lens as the first one that I received was damaged. I had no luck with this lens :(. Luckily my camera is covered by Amazon's warranty service so I'm sending it to repair
on 10 March 2011
It took me a while before deciding to buy this lens, like a good few months. I read so many reviews and then thought why not? for the price it was right up my street as I cant afford the 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.2
I received my lens yesterday and within 5 minutes of photographing my cat and family I have to say I absolutely love it. It does have a plasticky feel to it but honestly I couldn't care less as it does what its supposed to do for me. So glad I did buy in the end.
(...)
on 25 February 2010
I read the reviews extensively before purchasing this little gem. I was expecting to receive a cheap plastic lens with a very low build quality given I'd read a lot of reviews and most draw your attention to this point. When I opened the box however, how pleasantly surprised I was to find a lightweight (yes) but not insubstantial piece of kit. I knew I was not going to be deceived by the look and weight of this lens as its reputation goes before it. I took my first portrait shot within a couple of minutes and boy was I delighted and astonished by the result.

Nice sharp detail with a beautiful slight blur on the surroundings. I'm sorry I'm not qualified to articulate the technical merits and benefits of an f1.8 stop but please trust me when I say if you want to take high quality portrait and macro. shots, then for a sub £100 pounds solution this lens will not disappoint. Being a prime 50mm lens then yes, you do have to stand back from your subject to obtain the right composition but once in the frame, click away and you'll be astonished with the results. I bought the hood and a skylight filter given their relatively low cost. An excellent investment to bring out the best in your Canon DSLR (I use a 400D), only wish I'd bought one two years ago. Highly recommended.
on 17 March 2006
This little thing weighs almost nothing, compared to all the zooms that I've got. Having f/1.8 at your finger tips will also change the way you photograph if all you're used to is a zoom - depth of field takes on a whole new significance. The lens is great for throwing a cluttered background out of focus when you're taking portraits.
Excellent value for money. Just wish I could afford the 50mm f/1.2 :)
on 22 September 2010
I took the plunge and bought my first dSLR, a Canon 550D, and wanted a lens that would offer something different than the kit lens that came with it. After realising that getting a really good lens would probably mean spending the same as I'd just spent buying the camera I decided to look around for something a bit more modest and soon came across some reviews for the Canon EF 50mm. Let me say that for the price this lens is fantastic, if all you're shooting with is your kit lens you owe it to yourself to buy this lens, you will not regret it. The large aperture means you can get some really dramatic pictures with blurred backgrounds and take pictures indoors at quite low light levels and at smaller apertures the lens is quite sharp. Some people have commented about the build quality but for a little over £80 what do you expect? Having said that, I take this lens everywhere and after 7 months of quite intensive use I've experienced no problems with it so I wouldn't say it's a problem. The only problem I've experienced with this lens is that when shooting on auto some pictures can come out a little 'soft' as the auto settings tend to favour the wider aperture but this can easily be avoided by using the aperture priority mode.

This lens is a fantastic fun lens to use and I haven't regretted buying it one bit, unless you've got serious money to spend on one of the 'L' lenses then reach in your pocket and pull out the £80, you won't regret it.