1,081 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars nifty fifty honest review
Published on 23 April 2012 by Mrs.R

3.0 out of 5 stars Watch out for the sting in the tail!
I bought 2 of these one for myself and one for my son, mine is being used on an EOS400D and is great, I would recommend the lens optics for low light use without the use of flash .... however when my son tried his lens on his EOS450D it jammed on the mount!! Apparently this happens to be a recognised problem .. as I found out when I contacted Canon about the problem. They...
Published on 9 July 2011 by Dragonz

5.0 out of 5 stars nifty fifty honest review, 23 April 2012
This review is from: Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens (Camera)
As a keen photography enthusiast i have decided to take a plunge and upgrade my old Sony a200 system (that i couldn't get on with) to a canon 7d - the first mistake i have made was buying expensive body and not having the funds to buy a decent lens. I love photographing people so i thouht a prime lens will be the best choice for me (this is a fixed focal lens ) 50mm lens can basically mimic the perspective seen by the human eye . i felt that this will be the best choice .Also prime lens made me more creative , as i hadn't had the opportunity to just zoom in if i wanted to.I had to move around and try viewing subject from different angles.

when the lens arrived i was surprised by the toy feel - its all made of plastic (besides optics) - it felt cheap like it will brake any minute ,there iwasnt any pouch with this lens .just an instruction manual .The lens is very light ( 130g ) and small (2.7" x 1.6"/68.2mm x 41.0mm - WxL ) - it is also a canon smallest lens on the market . before i have decided to review it i thought i will use it for a bit (i have used it for over a year ) .I was a bit doubtful if constant lens change could affect plastic lens mount in any way - but it didn't .On the lens itself there is only one switch AF/MF (Auto focus and manual focus ). Autofocus is driven by a micro motor - that is pretty fast. With a minimum focus distance of 1.5' lens can deliver some good images.

My first test shots look terrible , the lens flare that was on the images looked pretty bad and affected the overall quality . Lens flare is created when forming light enters the lens and subsequently hits the camera's digital sensor. I have decided then to buy lens hood and filter (to reduce glare) and try again. i would strongly recommend buying lens hood (ES-62 ) that includes the Hood adapter that threads onto the lens - the hood then attaches to the adapter by pinching two latches

With everything in place i decided to do a few test shots again on few different light situations and f settings (aperture size are often referred as a f settings .The aperture size determines the depth of field, or zone of sharp focus, that surrounds your subject the smaller the f i.e. f/1.8 - the shallower the depth of field is ). i love the way my images came out - sharp where i wanted them to be , and colours where fantastic .focus worked well on a 4 year old who run around the park like a tornado and because lens is very light i was able to take some decent shots handheld , without the discomfort, or a lense shake.
The strongest quality of this lens is sharpness - it produces fantastic pictures , i can honestly say that its sharpest at f/2.8 and beyond on f1.8 it performs also good but not as sharp if the camera is hand held .All depends what you want to shoot . i tend to shot people at f/5.6 (but this depends how much of the subject i want to stay sharp) and landscape at f/8 - as i find this my safe zone , and i know images will come out decent.

Autofocus is pretty fast when shooting moving objects ,it focuses quickly witch is handy when shooting kids (that just don't sit still ... ) or fast moving objects .
Lens its very good in limited light conditions ( in the house ) - but only if you shooting on wider aperture (smaller f number) .- most of portraits are shot in low light condition and all of them are shot using this lens

another good factor was the lens size and weight -it is very easy to carry around , despite being plastic it is also very robust ,and it can take some serious banging. Just imagine me trying to strap screaming 4 year old into a booster seat with camera still hanging on my neck - it usually bash straight into car paintwork (that did chip)

I have grown to love this lens in fact this is the lens and i use in 98% of my images as the lens is very portable and light , so its easier to take hand-held shots without minimal camera shake.
most of the new dlsr's on the market come with a standard kit lens either 18-55 or 17-85 . so if you are looking for a nice addition to your camera i can highly recommend buying this lens despite it plastic look , its a very nifty lens with fantastic price tag. , and as i mentioned earlier i would recommend purchasing lens hood and possibly a UV filter .

"please bare in mind that im Polish - and English is not my strongest point but i try my best to give as honest review based on my own experience , and i know my grammar is terrible . "

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for the price!!, 18 Nov 2006
brainleek007 (Bracknell) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens (Camera)
Most reviewers of this lens will talk about the lack of build quality and plasticky feel overall - and they are to be believed!!

However, don't let this put you off.

Yes this lens has a plastic mount, yes the focus ring is narrow and fiddly and yes, the autofocus motor is an older, noisier, slower type but do I care one bit - NO!!!

This lens an absolute gem. I thoroughly recommend it as a replacement for the 18-55mm kit lens (I bought it for my Canon 400D) and recommend it simply because it's a great lens in it's own right no matter what you already have. It's a nice focal length for portraits.

Where this lens scores highly is its 1.8 f-stop - very fast!!! Images are definitely soft at this setting but acceptable in a pinch. I reckon you'd need to go above A4 prints for it to be noticeable. You always have to remember that you may not have got the shot at all if you didn't have the f1.8 setting so a bit of softness is the trade-off! Noticeable improvement in shrapness is seen at f2.2 and it just gets better from there on in. Stopped down to around f4 - f11 the lens displays stunning levels of clarity and sharpness for the price (by all accounts rivalling L series pro lenses costing much, much more from what others have said- I can't personally verify this but the results I've had are truly excellent.) It also focuses down to 45 cm!

To sum up, this lens punches far above its weight. For £65 you will get a lens that gives you fantastic pictures typical of lenses costing many times the asking price. Go for it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Far better than the 50mm f1.8, 3 April 2006
By A Customer
I've tried all of Canon's 50mm lenses from the cheap, plasticky f1.8 to the hyper-expensive f1.0. This is the best compromise and allows decent shutter speeds in low light without flash. It ia sharp all the way to the edges (upto A3 at least) and doesn't seem to be affected by flare even without a lens shade. If all you have used is the zoom that came with the camera kit, I suggest you try this and see what a difference a decent prime (single focal length) lens makes. At nearly £300, however, it is quite an investment, but worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made my new camera sparkle, 14 April 2007
This review is from: Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens (Camera)
I've got a Canon 400D with the standard kit lens. It's OK but I was a little disappointed by the sharpness that it achieved. After quite a bit of reading up I'd heard so much good stuff about this relatively inexpensive lens that I decided to get one.

Most of my pictures are of my kids and many of them are indoors. This lens is great for portraits and because the aperture can be opened to 1.8 it gets enough light that flashless indoor pictures become feasible. The results are great. Nice, natural colours compared to the flash and as others have mentioned, the blurring of the distant background is very pleasing.

Having read that it had an old fashioned and noisy focus motor I was expecting something horrific which would cause people to look around if you were taking a picture in public. In reality it's marginally louder than the USM lenses and a little slower. We're talking 25% in my view. It's perfectly useable. In low light, manual focussing is preferable and is very easy. People also say the plastic housing is fragile. Well, if like me you've got a 400D with kit lens, it's not really any more plastic like than the either of those so don't be put off.

I've only had the lens one day and I've already taken some pictures which I'll treasure. Only downside of the lens is that at 50mm on a 1.6 ratio camera like the 400D it's a telephoto. In other words, you have to step back a bit to get everything in, so not ideal for indoor group shots. A 30mm lens would be better *but* the one I was looking at was three times more expensive and that's what swung it for this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Prime Lens, 11 Oct 2008
Brian Hamilton "brianhamilton14" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is the first prime lens I have bought and I didn't know whether to go for the f1.8 or this one. After much research I went for the f1.4, the build quality is much better, the focussing is improved and that extra stop counts for a lot.

The simplicity of this lens is such an eye opener, you have to work for your shots now instead of standing still and zooming in on everything. Your legs become your zoom and because of this you are much more likely to raise or lower your normal eye-level view of the world to find a more interesting angle on a subject.

This lens is purely about quality of image, there are no gimmicks, no image stablisation or anything you don't need, you have a focussing ring and an AF/MF switch. That's it.

Like every lens the sharpness is improved by stopping down from maximum, at f1.8 the 50mm is like a razor, even wide open at f1.4 the pictures are still pretty usable. But its the image, the colours are beautifully captured, the contrast is excellent, sharpness outstanding and the bokeh (out of focus areas) are so soft and creamy its like gazing into a pan of melted butter.

This is the lens you've been looking for, it frees you creatively, lets you make those images you could only dream about before. Sure, it takes a bit of work to get the most from this lens, but the effort will repaid tenfold when you see the results possible with this little cracker.

Sure, the f1.8 is a step in the right direction but the f1.4 is the grownup version, built to last and deliver the results time after time.

I am not exagerrating when I say that this lens has reinvigorated my photography.

If you own a Canon DSLR, you need this, its that simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone needs a nifty fifty..., 19 Aug 2011
C. Tuff (UK) - See all my reviews
I'll assume that if you're considering buying this, you're serious about photography and already know the huge benefits of shooting with L glass (weather sealing, build quality, superb optics).

When it first arrived, I slapped it on my 1D MkIV and fell in love... with the look. It is an incredibly good looking lens and makes my 1D4 look very stocky and strong. Not particularly important on the grand scheme, but I like to have confidence in my kit.

Between f/1.2 and f/2.8 it gets progressively sharper (obviously). f/1.2 is almost unusable, f/1.8 is a big improvement if you nail focus and f/2.8 is absolutely razor sharp. I mainly shoot between f/1.8 and f/2.8. Chromatic aberration between f/1.2 and f/1.8 is definitely noticeable.

Focus is fast and accurate, and I haven't experienced the focus-shift in the wide apertures.

The 50mm focal length is great for portraits, and I've started to only take this 50mm and my 100mm f/2.8L on portrait sessions (I have a 1.3x crop on the 1D4). The fact it's not particularly large is a real benefit with keeping people at ease.

All in it's a great lens and I highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A keeper (if it will let you), 13 Nov 2012
I bought this lens from Amazon as a 'step-up' from the 50mm 1.8 II, and in that respect I wasn't disappointed. Compared to the 1.8 it stands out in many respects; mainly in reduced noise and faster auto focus, but as expect in optical quality - for whatever that's worth in general use.

You're generally going to get a prime to use it near-to-or-wide open, at 1.4 in this case, but it's just too soft at this aperture to be fully satisfying, even if only to your own self critical eye. Step it up f2.8-5.6 and it is a really good performer - even at f2 I found it held its own. I'd save the 1.4 for when you need that extra light getting in....and that's the other problem - it isn't so hot in focusing in low light, and can hunt quite a bit.

Eventually my poor lens fell prey to an apparently common issue - focus sticking. I don't know whether it decided to end it's own service life, or it had been harmed by invisible cosmic rays, but one morning it just stopped working with this allegedly common fault. A pity really, but at the 'low' price you pay for this lens, the price of repair can end up at half its original cost. It's really something to consider before you shell out.

In conclusion I can say it's a good lens for the price, if not a great one, and anyone using a 1.8 currently can expect more of the same (and a little bit extra) from this.

Pros - quieter and faster than 50mm 1.8, large aperture, noticeably great optically at f2.8-5.6
Cons - soft at 1.4, not great in low light, can be fragile.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp with great colours, 18 Jun 2007
I've had mine for 8 years and it delivers sharp pictures with great colours every time. If I could only own one lens, this would be it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Upgrade from my 50mm 1.8 lens, 9 Feb 2010
Barry Mccarthy "BMV" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I was looking for an upgrade to my 1.8 lens. Something that was as light and small as it was, but with better build quality and resolution. The 1.4 has really delivered for me. The extra bokeh at 1.4 is great and at f4 and beyond the sharpness is as good as anything I've seen. I like the physical size of the lens as it's light and neat on my 5dmk II. The build quality is far superior to the 1.8. The only downside to the lens is when using it in manual focus. The focussing ring seems to take 1.5 full turns to focus from near to far. What would be way more convenient would be maybe a quarter turn, like with my 16-35L lens. Besides that though, I would give this a 5 out of 5. Wish I had bought it earlier.

5.0 out of 5 stars You have Canon DSLR? Why don't you have this lens yet?, 24 May 2009
This review is from: Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens (Camera)
Now, all of my Canon owning friends have this lens, and it is the favorite lens for almost all of them. Expect of course for those few who can afford L-series lenses, but comparing this to an L-series lens isn't fair anyway.

It is very fast with f/1.8. And for the money it is the fastest good quality lens you can get. Canon's next prime lens with faster aperture of f/1.4 costs about four times as much. Yes it is faster and USM, but you would expect it to be with that price tag.

Obviously this isn't a "cover all situations" lens, as it is a prime 50mm lens. So to zoom you either walk forward or backward, or do cropping later. It is for specific situations, but it does work in those situations so well. Those situations mainly being portraits and low light photography. With the large aperture it can create stunning portraits with blurred backgrounds. It allows you easily to take those portrait shots you always see and admire. The large aperture also allows it to be used in situations where a normal lens wouldn't be fast enough, using this 50mm lens often allows you to shoot without flash, allowing the pictures to have more natural lighting.

The motor is a bit noisy (it's no USM) and sometimes in low light situations it occasionally has some problems trying to find focus, but all very minor setbacks in my oppinion. It is very light, and yes I admit the build quality isn't mabye greatest, but what did you expect for the price? It is sturdy enough however (it's been through some rough trips). The size and weight make it easy to carry in your camera bag, even if you are using something else as your main lense. Though I know many who use this as their main lens.

If you have a Canon DSLR, then you need this lens. End of discussion. Unless of course money is no obstacle, then go buy the f/1.4 USM lens you rich bastard.

Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens