5.0 out of 5 stars Weird and Wonderful...
Published on 13 Sep 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing from one of the greats of UK electronic music
Published on 12 Aug 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Weird and Wonderful..., 13 Sep 2001
This review is from: Luck Be A Weirdo Tonight (Audio CD)
I bought this album ages ago and, upon looking through Amazon's collect of Fila Brazillia, I discover there is no review. Shocked!!! This is the sort of album you'll put on after coming home from the pub or a club with some friends and, after a couple of tracks, someone will ask "who's this, it's really good?"... and then weeks later you'll discover all your freinds have a Fila Brazillia collection. You'll feel a certain sense of pride having enlightened your friends and what's even better is that you can record their other releases from them. It's mellow, it's funky, it breaks, the tempo mixes and there's a certain element of experimentation too which, if you're into making your own music, you'll relish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but Complex, 10 Oct 2006
Seamus Evely "Discover It" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This is the first of their work that I listened to. Upon first listen I was thralled by their tasty licks and their groovy backbeats. I have always wanted to find an artist that makes music that I would like to write myself. This album is probably their most unusual and I am not entirely sure that this is the place to start. Better to get acquainted with Maim that Tune. This however, if you have patience and see where their progressions lead to is probably their most rewarding work that I have heard. The opening track got me hooked and the rest is history as they say. It is almost too hard to believe that Fila Brazillia is not known by a wider community of listeners. I know from experience that everytime I throw it on when I have company over my guests will ask, "Who is this? I am really enjoying it". I will proudly retort with, "It is Fila Brazillia, isn't it good or what". Now my theory on this is that if they were not as underground as they are bands like Theivery Corp (which I am not entirely fond of), Amon Tobin and Mr. Scruff would be blown out of the water in popularity. These aformentioned artists are much better known in Downtempo and Trip-Hop and yet do not even hold a light to Fila Brazillia. There is an unspoken authenticity to their sound that defines this genre of music. While the others are just trying to keep up. I praise Fila's work heavily because I can understand their hard efforts on these albums that they make and their limitless imagination with groove and musical taste. I am officially a Fila Head!

5.0 out of 5 stars another quality production, 2 May 2001
By A Customer
once again fila manage to create the kind of ambience and funk-jazz which has made their name known throughout the underground scene. This particular album is a definitive round up of their unique style of music and as such is a must have item for any quality respecting person. it often strikes me as being quite remarkable, the way people quickly relate to it...we all know when some places their soul in their work, and it is this factor which keeps me coming back to their music, in the office, car or at the end of a late night...not just music but a way of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fila on fine form, 16 Jan 2008
This review is from: Luck Be A Weirdo Tonight (Audio CD)
I heartily disagree with anything less than five stars for this classic release. Different from previous works, but the newly adopted style is not at all second-rate. Predominantly downtempo (Pollo de Palo), elements of funkiness (Her Majesty's Hokey Kokey, Weasel Out the Muck), but overall a laid-back vibe and very listenable. The is definitely a Fila Brazillia recording, but using a different repertoire of sounds.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing from one of the greats of UK electronic music, 12 Aug 2002
This review is from: Luck Be A Weirdo Tonight (Audio CD)
This was actually the first Fila album i bought, and i have to say i found it to be a dissapointment, although by no means terrible, i found it to be a thoroughly middle of the road sort of album, the tracks all seemed almost the enbodiement of the word 'noodly' started off nicely but never develop into anything, and eventually your attention wanes. However, fortunately i wasn't put off by this album and bought 'maim that tune' which is in a different class altogether to this offering, so my advice if your new to Fila, don't start your collection with this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best from Fila, 22 Jan 2004
This review is from: Luck Be A Weirdo Tonight (Audio CD)
I recently bought a load of Fila albums on the strength of Maim that Tune and the cheap price amazon is offering them at.
Out of the ones I bought this is the least listened to one and I cant really put my finger on why. If you want my advice on a Fila album to buy go for Maim that Tune or Brazilifaction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucky Release, 26 Nov 2009
Tekniq (Beckenham, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Luck Be A Weirdo Tonight (Audio CD)
This is probably Fila Brazilia'a best album. Like all the best albums, its a grower. The tracks don't blend together as a whole as well as they do on say Power Clown or Maim that Tune, but there isn't a weak track on this cd, and in time this has become my favourite Fila album. Every track is a winner, especially Her Majesties Hokey Cokey, a funky delight. The album hasn't dated and still sounds great. Play it after you've been out all night and need a bit of chilled spacey funk.

Luck Be A Weirdo Tonight
Luck Be A Weirdo Tonight by Fila Brazillia (Audio CD - 2006)