Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 June 2001
The name Richard Searling is a mark of quality when it comes to Northern Soul and this compilation doesn't disappoint. The Jimmy Ruffin track "He Who Picks A Rose" is worth the asking price alone. The rest is classy mix of rarer tracks alongside established Northern classics such as Tony Clarke's monster "Landslide". Roll on the next Connoisseurs compilation!
on 17 August 2003
If,like me,your appetite for Northern Soul has been whetted by listening to Stuart Maconie's Radio 2 show then this album is an excellent first purchase.
A bonus was the discovery that the album includes "Do I Love You [Indeed I Do]" by Frank Wilson - a certain chicken bits fast food outlet has been using it on recent adverts and I've been trying to identify it.
I defy you not to shake your bits on listening to this.
VINE VOICEon 6 January 2005
Although not strictly a Tamla Motown compilation, as 7 of the 17 tracks come from labels such as Chess, Mercury and other smaller labels, this collection comprises predominantly the Detroit groove that launched a whole new phenomenon in the North of England, a cult that led to the uncovering of many rare or previously unreleased gems that fitted the demanding criteria of the Northern Soul crowd.
Many of these find their way onto this release, via the guiding hand of Richard Searling, including Motown tracks by Jimmy Ruffin, Frank Wilson (the classic Do I Love You), the Originals, and Diana Ross and the Supremes' version of Stormy, originally by the Classics IV.
Non-Motown artists featured include the undervalued Dee Dee Warwick (sister of Dionne), Terry Callier, Tony Clarke, Bobby Hebb and Jerry Butler, and the album concludes with the highly-infectious Don Covay hit It's Better To Have (And Don't Need)
on 17 August 2003
I defy you not to shake your bits on listening to this.
on 8 October 2007
As a new convert to NS I was intrigued as to what I would find on here.
I was pleasantly surprised at the content and there are a few tracks that have already become real favourites.

For me the standout track has to be the hair-raising Al Kent:The way you've been acting. Whilst this is a brilliant track unfortunately it does suffer from being a copy from a record and there is some distortion on the left channel and some of the other tracks are similarly from records and not the original master tape. Still I would rather have them that way than not at all.

All in all a bargain at £3.39 at a large supermarket chain at time of writing.
on 29 May 2013
Solid selection of tunes at a really cheap price (£4.37 as I type).

Only a couple are on the standard Northern Soul CDs, so a lot of new tracks for me.
Favourites: Frank Wilson - 'Do I Love You' / Earl Van Dyke instrumental - '6 x 6' / Bobby Hebb - 'Love, Love, Love' / Edwin Starr - 'Back Street'.

Although, if it came down to a toss-up with only one to buy between volume 1 & volume 2, I'd go for volume 2.
Obviously the NS compilation market is a bit crowded, and this one's a good 'un, with the majority being Motown and others such as the all time classic Don Covey "It's Better to Have". The ?unreleased Jimmy Ruffin's "He Who Picks a Rose" is another favourite, but quite honestly there's not a duff track here.
on 21 June 2013
Another good Northern Soul collection. Some fabulous tracks I remember from my teens - 6 x 6, Do I love you, Landslide, Moody Woman, Love love love, Back Street, Boogaloo Party and the wonderful It's better to have and don't need by Don Covay. There are a few poorer tracks which prevent me from giving it 5 stars.
on 16 June 2013
This album brought back many Happy Memories
from my Younger years which was really great.
This would be a great CD. for newcomers to the
Northern Soul Movement as a sampler for their
next purchase !!
on 6 May 2013
Wow, Earl Van Dyke 6 x 6, hadn't heard this for years. A couple of well known dance tunes and some other good additions like the great Edwin Starr Back Street