5.0 out of 5 stars 'You paid how much?!', 25 April 2008
This review is from: Amusing the Amazing (Audio CD)
First off, I have a confession - I had never heard of Slo Burn until last year, I had heard a little bit but never bought the EP. I am so ashamed of myself. I did buy it recently tho after listening to some tracks of Garcia's Hermano and Unida.

When I tell people I spent 21 on an album with 4 tracks they look at me like I'm wearing my pants on my head and making chicken noises. Their face gets all screwed up. Then they listen to it...

The distinctive vocals of Garcia makes them point out, as if I didn't know, that's the dude from Kyuss! Err, yeah I know that, but thanks. They listen, they enjoy - they want a copy.

Sure, its a short CD and to some it might seem a bit excessive to pay so much for it. For me, it was worth every penny. It's simply brilliant. Amusing the Amazing has become a soundtrack for various parts of life. Pilot the Dune being a perfect example of a song to cheer me up no matter what.

If you love anything Garcia related, dig deep in your pockets and buy this album (it's cheaper than Coping with the Urban Coyote!).

5.0 out of 5 stars For those that are still hungry for MORE>, 29 Oct 2008
This review is from: Amusing the Amazing (Audio CD)
I should start by pointing out that if you are a Garcia fan, then this is a must! Those who havnt tasted Kyuss, start there and come back.

These are being offered at such a high price, I would have considered paying the 40-plus as a last resort, but they can be found for less, I found mine for a sensible 10 on Amazon UK under a different listing, keep looking they will pop up as did mine, worth the wait!! Like Kyuss, but more straightforward, just a shame there isnt more of this around.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only 4 Tracks Long, But It Certainly Rocks, 2 Jun 2006
Tom Chase (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Amusing the Amazing (Audio CD)
John Garcia became a renowned rock vocalist after his glory days with the now legendary band Kyuss. After Kyuss was no more, Slo Burn's short and sweet EP - 'Amusing The Amazing' - was his next project. While it only contains four songs, the EP is a fun listen, holding a distinct desert vibe with its down-tuned, fuzzed-out guitar tone, and of course Garcia's wonderful rasp.

'Prizefighter' kicks things off in style with its simplistic yet utterly fuzzy and heavy guitar riffs, complemented perfectly by a rather aggressive vocal delivery from Garcia. After the short and sharp opener the band express their more artistic style and writing with 'Muezli', my personal favourite of the EP. The song has an undeniable desert and summery feel to it, warm and thick walls of sound wash over, building to a thundering climax in which the band gradually build the tempo to a frantic pace. Kyuss fans will be in heaven with this one especially.

'Pilot The Dune' starts rather straight forwardly with its raspy, spewing vocals from John and stop-start riffing. However, once again the band shows a more advanced style, changing direction to a very chilled ending section. 'July' finishes the EP with a bang, like 'Muezli' it recalls the style and structuring of Kyuss, with its drum intro and gradual guitar build-up play, the band lunge into classic riff-rock and probably John's best performance on the EP.

Overall this is only four tracks long, but for those who sorely miss the Kyuss glory days, and want a slab of classic desert rock, this will give you great pleasure.

4.0 out of 5 stars `I said a pilot a pilot`, 6 April 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Amusing the Amazing (Audio CD)
This music is simlilar to Garcia's previous, now monolythic band, Kyuss, (but without the influence of Bjork and Homme). His distinctive rasp, which made Kyuss so special, cuts through the desert sounds to produce some original and inspiring music. The best track is definately Pilot the Dune because, as in Kyuss' best songs, the music perfectly accompanies and embosses Garcia's striking voice. It's worth buying for this song alone. Anybody following the desert line should buy this (if they can find it). It's certainly better than Hermano.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slo-burn?Least apt name ever., 19 May 2003
Jamie R. Jones "Administrator" (The North, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amusing the Amazing (Audio CD)
This was the first thing John Garcia recorded after Kyuss split. Its a lot more energetic than Kyuss,and contains at least a couple of truly awesome songs.Its a lil hard to get hold of,and only four tracks long,but its the only thing Slo-Burn ever released.

ARRAY(0xa20e8a5c)

Amusing the Amazing
Amusing the Amazing by Slo Burn (Audio CD - 1997)