5.0 out of 5 stars MATCHLESS ALICE
WHERE IS THE REGION 2 DVD OF THIS MAGICAL FILM ????????? How much longer do we have to wait ?
AND WHY ?

Well, here are some answers, and a story. But we're getting there.

UPDATE (2015): Yes, it's out! region 2 - at last!

UPDATE (2014): 'Dreamchild' is getting a UK Region 2 DVD release in early 2015!!!!!!!
It's from a label...
Published on 7 Feb. 2008 by Green Knight

3.0 out of 5 stars Dreamchild
I to have been waiting years for the release on dvd of this amazing film.why have we in the uk, not had the opportunity of having this released?
Published on 20 Nov. 2010 by Mr. K. Gammon

5.0 out of 5 stars MATCHLESS ALICE, 7 Feb. 2008
AND WHY ?

Well, here are some answers, and a story. But we're getting there.

UPDATE (2015): Yes, it's out! region 2 - at last!

It's from a label called 101 Films: [...] ... they have confirmed this info.

UPDATE (2013): The film can also be obtained on 'region-free' DVD, released by MGM Archives - and it will apparently play on any machine. I bought it and am very pleased with it, though if Studiocanal brings out their very own Region 2 version, I will of course go for that as well.

Studio Canal holds (or held) the rights to the film, apparently.

UPDATE (December 2012):
Mr Lloyd, in the following comment below, has been very persistent, and sends the following quote from Studio Canal.

"It would seem that we do hold the UK DVD distribution rights, but as stated before we have no current plans to release this due to the restoration work that would be involved. We do not hold the US distribution rights so have no access to any materials which have been released in America. Obtaining those restored materials would be of a considerable financial cost to us as they are owned by a completely to which we have no affiliation. Any materials purchased would still need further work being done to them in order to make them compatible with UK standards. As stated before, this is an expensive process and at the moment we have to prioritize the bigger titles in our catalogue, but once again we do appreciate your interest and the information given, and will certainly keep you updated if the title become available in the future. Regards, StudioCanal."

Mr Lloyd goes on to say:
"If you want this film to be released on DVD in the UK then you need to contact StudioCanal, who currently hold the home video distribution rights. The more people who e-mail requesting that DREAMCHILD be released, the more likely it is that it will be seriously considered ..."

CONTACT STUDIO CANAL AT: info@studiocanal.co.uk

Fellow DREAMCHILD fans, start pestering. Be very specific when you mention the title: it's just DREAMCHILD - put anything else, and you'll confuse the issue when 'they' trawl their database of titles. Mr Lloyd, in the 'comments' below, makes it clear exactly why we need to be precise.

One day we'll get there.
Onwards and upwards - and thanks to everyone who contacts StudioCanal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alice in WonderFilm, 14 July 2007
J. A. Eyon "Little Raven" (Seattle - USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamchild [DVD] [Region 1] [NTSC][1985] (DVD)
A picturesque and thoughtful movie for grownups whose plot shifts effortlessly between three venues: the 1860s when Lewis Carroll introduced the Wonderland tales to young, dark-haired Alice Liddell and her sisters - the 1930s when the aged Alice Liddell Hargreaves visited the U.S. just months before her death - and the surreal story-world of Alice in Wonderland with the characters that Alice meets portrayed by wickedly designed Jim Henson puppets.

Four affecting performances stand out in my memory: Coral Browne as the starchy old Alice - Amelia Shankley as the young self centered Alice - Nicola Cowper as old Alice's timid companion who becomes the love interest to a young American reporter (portrayed by Peter Gallagher) - and, in a small role, Caris Corfman as a wistful newspaper reporter. But those are only a few of many fine British and American actors (fine - except for one brief but noticeable exception - maybe more noticeable to Americans).

My only major gripe is Ian Holm's age. Holm was in his early 50s when he portrayed Rev Charles Dodgson (Lewis Carroll's real name), while the real Dodgson was closer to 30 when he first told Alice the stories. Ian Holm's age and characterization exaggerate the frightful possibility of his impure interest in the young children he befriended.

On the positive side, this film took great care in evoking the respective time periods with beautiful sets, costumes and photography that compliment the deeply-felt emotional arc of old Alice revisiting her memories of Dodgson. As a result, the movie is itself an exotic journey into other times and places - with Alice, once again, as protagonist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Are We Waiting, 10 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Dreamchild [DVD] [Region 1] [NTSC][1985] (DVD)
I too have been waiting for years to buy the DVD of this wonderful film.
WHY OH WHY ARE WE FROM THE UK NOT ABLE TO OBTAIN THIS DVD WHEN IT IS AVAILABLE IN THE USA?
UNFAIR!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Long overdue classic, 28 Jan. 2015
I've waited for a UK DVD issue of this for well over a decade. Sad that there's no blu ray, or indeed any extras of any kind, but this is still a nice step-up from my dubbed-from-VHS DVD-R.
Dreamchild is a beautiful, extremely well-made and wonderfully realised film, mostly based on fact. The film elegantly interweaves 80 year old Alice Hargreaves' memories and interpretations of the 'relationship' between Alice Liddell and Charles Dodgson (a relationship which provides the genesis of both '...Wonderland' and 'Through the Looking Glass') on the way to receive an honorary degree from Columbia University in 1932.
It would have been easy for this film to have been either an unbearably saccharine slice of Victoriana or a prolonged and cynical deliberation on Dodgson's presumed paedophilia, but Potter's unusually subtle, restrained and well-informed script takes an entirely different approach, framing and reframing the story of Alice with the 'real life' of Alice through flashbacks, the recreation of scenes from the books, and a sub-plot involving her contemporary companion's relationship with one of the American journalists covering Alice's 'story'. Finally, Alice reaches an accommodation with both her life as a fictitional character and her relationship with Dodgson, which turns out to be far from the troubling, dark and seedy affair that has often been hinted at.
Performances are never less than superb (Ian Holm and Coral Browne are always great, but the younger performers really are faultless here) and whilst the narrative never explodes or shocks, it remains a fascinating, touching and hugely enjoyable story, effectively using the period settings and Jim Henson's Creature Workshop for the Wonderland vignettes. Viewers interested in Lewis Carroll would do well to check out Morton Cohen or Michael Bakewell's balanced and meticulously researched biographies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 8 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Dreamchild [DVD] [Region 1] [NTSC][1985] (DVD)
I saw this wonderful movie in a small cinema many years ago in Copenhagen. I always wanted to see it again.
Make it available on dvd in region 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars History of Alice, 24 Mar. 2014
Dreamchild's a wonderful film.

The movie starts off with a ship going from England to New York during the depression dust bowl era.

We get introduced to a 79 year old lady named Mrs Hargreaves and her teenage assistant named Lucy.
Mrs Hargreaves will be honored by Columbia University. During this journey and travel in Dreamchild, we have flashbacks of a young ten year old Alice Hargreaves and a mature stuttering reverend Charles Dodson during a summer holiday.

Dreamchild has no subtitles and has no start screen. As soon as the disc enters the tray there is a blue thorn EMI logo and the movie begins. This MGM MOD DVD simply starts to play continuously.

a very good transfer to DVD . A crisp image and clear sound.

No trailers or extras.
Great film

5.0 out of 5 stars "Dreamchild" fell into my Top 10 favorite movies upon its initial US release, 8 Mar. 2015
Thomas H. Moody "Music Enthusiast" (Nobleboro, ME United States) - See all my reviews
"Dreamchild" fell into my Top 10 favorite movies upon its initial US release. (I saw it at the much beloved Nickolodean Theatres in Boston, Mass.back when art-house movie theatres were in vogue. Sadly, they now seem to have gone the way of the dinosaur.) The film has remained within my top 10 favs still to this day. The reason why I still adore it is as much for what it says in its multi-layered story, both beautifully acted out and filmed, and as much for what it doesn't say. The films that I find are lasting are the films that leave one haunted by what they have seen and emotionally experienced. I'm sure not everyone who saw "Dreamchild" found that it haunted them - or possibly even spoke to them on any level. However, there were many who did (and still do) find the film profound and thought provoking. I remember leaving the theatre after seeing "Dreamchild" and feeling sort of speechless, in a dumbstruck kind of way. Yes, I was haunted - jut like the elderly Alice was in the film.

Since its release the film has sadly fallen into obscurity, more or less. That fact is a shame. I was happy to have gotten the MGM US DVD release even though its a CD-R product. Better that than nothing - which until then was the case in terms of a DVD release. Now I see that this new UK release by 101 Films also seems to be a DVD-R. I was hoping that it would be an embedded version of the film. I will probably grab a copy of this release as well although its probably not much different than the MGM release, although I see that it is in widescreen. (Multi-region DVD players are quite easy to come by and not at all expensive. I've always gotten mine on eBay.)

If anyone has any remarks on this new UK release I'd like to hear about them in the comments to my post. And now....if only SOMEONE would release on DVD the wonderful UK film "After The Fair." It was broadcast in the US on Masterpiece Theatre. I've found a very rudimentary copy of the film on YouTube, but would like to see a nice release of it. Hello, BBC? Hello, PBS?

4.0 out of 5 stars only half remember it, but sad its not available currently..., 20 May 2012
This review is from: Dreamchild [VHS] [1985] (VHS Tape)
An old woman is on a transatlantic ferry and her mental health is deteriorating.
She hallucinates distorted versions of childhood imaginings.
The thing is she is Alice and there was, I seem to remember, a dark suggestion regarding Lewis Carroll's interest in her - the nightmarish Wonderland figures refer to this....I have vague memories of the Mad Hatter :

I am sad that it is not available, when so much else is, I may be mixing memory and fantasy - but I think it was good and I would love to see it again....one day

3.0 out of 5 stars Dreamchild, 20 Nov. 2010
Mr. K. Gammon "sondheim" (wales,united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dreamchild [DVD] [Region 1] [NTSC][1985] (DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film, but it deserves more than a DVD-R release!, 26 Jan. 2015
PhillyJQ (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Actually this film deserves at least 5 stars, but I gave it less because the DVD isn't remastered, nor even a commercial 'pressed' disk, but just a burned DVD-R disk (with a life-expectancy of about 10+ years, not like a 'pressed' disk with an expectancy of 35+ years). I bought a DVD-R copy about two years ago ("burn on demand"), and bought this one ONLY because I thought it was a 'pressed' disk (longer lasting, more robust, and a bit sharper). Well, at least it is wide-screen, even if the case says full-screen!

This is a wonderful imaginative & thought-provoking film on memories and friendships. It really deserves a proper Blu-Ray release by, say, Criterion. We should be so lucky! But do get this DVD until a better disk comes along.

Dreamchild [DVD] [Region 1] [NTSC][1985]