4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely trip down memory lane
One can't imagine many people buying this unless they are as old as I am, and want it for the
nostalgia value from when they saw it in the seventies. Good to hear the theme music again.
Published on 21 Feb 2012 by coolsimon

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat cheesy like Hart to Hart
I'm a big fan of police and detective shows of the '70s, such as Columbo, Kojak and The Rockford Files. As I didn't grow up with M&W, I decided to give this Season One set a go, especially since the show was part of the NBC Mystery Movie series. But, after watching a few episodes, I decided to sell the set.

I didn't much appreciate Susan Saint James' kooky...
Published on 25 Sep 2010 by Adelaidian

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely trip down memory lane, 21 Feb 2012
coolsimon (Meols, Wirral.) - See all my reviews
In the old days everyone thought Rock Hudson was the star of this. Well he is, but St.James, the girl, was much underated, her character acting is much above average for your average American cop show.
They were good then, it was good to watch them again. Glad I bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars McMillan & wife season 1, 13 Feb 2011
We have been buying a lot of 60s & 70s dvds, as we remembered the tv series' of those times as being great and wanted to see if our memories were 'clouded'. We were not disappointed in McMillan & wife, and thoroughly enjoyed it. We are just puzzled as to why they have only released the 1st series, and just hope that they come to their senses!!!
We also bought Hart to Hart, which has not worn as well in our opinion, and is too 'cheesy' but light hearted and somewhat enjoyable all the same, in small doses.
McMillan & wife however was a refreshing breath of air and we couldnt wait to get to the next episode, enjoyed the stories, and the on screen relationships, and tho dated, it has fared far better than most.
They were at a time when the story line got you thinking, instead of just trick photography and gore as so many are nowadays.
We can totally understand anybody not old enough to have watched them when they first appeared on the tv would find them awfully 'cheesy' but we feel that we have far too much depression and violence on tv nowadays,and the sometimes horrific special effects, its great to bring in a bit of humour and humanity!!

5.0 out of 5 stars still enjoyable 2nd time around, 14 April 2014
this dvd makes a nice change of pace from the modern day programmes with questionable language & gratuitous, unnecessary violence

5.0 out of 5 stars great series, 29 Dec 2013
mcmillan and wife one of the best series of the great seventies excellent first season not to be missed .

5.0 out of 5 stars great viewing, 7 Dec 2013
Great being able to view much loved nostalgic TV ...since they don't revive their viewing on TV networks ...McMillan and wife is a great series and a joy to watch ...

5.0 out of 5 stars 70's TV DVD, 11 Oct 2010
Nostalgic dip into a 70's tv series - great. Good value for money and fast delivery.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat cheesy like Hart to Hart, 25 Sep 2010
Adelaidian (Sth Australia) - See all my reviews

I didn't much appreciate Susan Saint James' kooky character as the Police Commissioner's wife or the show's general attempt at mixing drama and comedy - all too often it ended up being cheesy and unbelievable. The show is a mix of early `60s Burke's Law and late `70s Hart to Hart (both were Aaron Spelling productions while M&W was not)- I should add that I also sold my Hart to Hart set after only watching a few episodes. Burke's Law on the other hand, while sometimes cheesy is quite entertaining and a great time capsule of 1960s television talent.

For those with fond memories of M&W or fans of Hart to Hart, this DVD set might be a good purchase but if you want to see a quality San Francisco based detective show from that era, watch The Streets of San Francisco. If looking for something better of Susan Saint James, see if you can obtain a copy of the 1980s sitcom Kate & Allie.

I would rate some of the 1970s NBC Mystery Movie programs as follows: Columbo as 5 stars; McCloud, Banacek, and Quincy M.E. close to 4 stars each, and McMillan and Wife as 3 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I remembered., 8 July 2013
Looks like my memory is playing tricks on me. It wasn't quite as full of the witty banter I remembered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes me back!, 16 May 2009
C. Lawrence (Gloucester, UK) - See all my reviews
So wonderful to see this series again - takes me right back to my younger days in the 70s. Think it really stands up well & only the clothes & Rock's moustache seem dated!

ARRAY(0xb4a1ad74)