5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely innocent Disney Picture.
I don't watch/own many Disney Pictures, but this was one I'd had on a 'Wants List' I made out years ago. I think I tried to obtain it when there was only Videos available (no DVDs) during the very early 90s and it hadn't ever been released back then. It still hasn't - except in the USA.

This is about a small boy who's 'unwanted' and runs away with the...
Published on 4 April 2010 by FAMOUS NAME

2.0 out of 5 stars dvd
Not recommended for British dvd players
Published 1 month ago by Mr. J. C. Coady

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely innocent Disney Picture., 4 April 2010
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Toby Tyler [DVD] [1960] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)

This is about a small boy who's 'unwanted' and runs away with the Circus. The story may be a bit 'corny' but this is very watchable indeed. Beautifully re-mastered with lots of gorgeous colours - oh; and you'll need the tissues handy!

'Toby' when with the Circus makes friends with a Clown and a Monkey - 'Mr. Stubbs!' He also manages to take the job from a rather spiteful boy - 'Vim' (I mean 'Ajax' - lol) who partners a young girl in an act involving riding horses bareback in the Ring. One scene in particular is very amusing, when whilst training; he keeps missing the jump to the horse and ends up 'dangling' in the air from a rope - backwards! The Monkey is the only one who seems to think it's great and appropriately claps his hands!

Also features a small role for the divinely handsome James Drury - later to become famous for his lead in the Western TV Serial 'The Virginian'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Allegorical Circus, 15 July 2009
Keith Robson (Monkeyland) - See all my reviews
This is a well-made, delightful, sentimental, predictable and somewhat corny product of the Disney Studio that achieved exactly what it set out to do, which was to please a 1959 audience.
And 50 years on, it still pleases.
Most interesting is the casting of circus boss 'Colonel Castle' played by Richard Eastham who bears a strong resemblance to Walt Disney himself! Walt was a self-confessed 'corny guy' and a consumate showman.
Castle runs his circus very much the way Walt ran his studio.
Turn of the century small town America was very dear to Walt's heart and its lovingly re-created here.
Kevin Corcoran (Toby) was a phenominally popular and ubiquitous Disney child star of the era and both Henry Calvin and Gene Sheldon were familiar from Disney's 'Zorro' TV series.
A non-Disney TV series 'Circus Boy'had been successful so 'Toby Tyler' seemed a safe bet offering the colour and production values not provided by TV.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Movie, 27 Nov 2011
Malcolm Allison (Warilla, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
Toby Tyler is seriously a cool movie. I remember seeing it on TV when I was very young back in the early to mid 1970's. And it was also in one of the four large Disneyland books that I received back then too. Plus there're several parts of it that I'll never forget, and I instantly recognised a lot of the actors's script.Some of it's funny, some of it's crazy, there's a bit of everything really. But I think this movie would be a good one to show the young people of today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely innocent Disney picture., 4 April 2010