5.0 out of 5 stars VICE IS NICE!
Published on 21 Feb 2005 by Deborah MacGillivray

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a Letdown
Absolutely LOVED this show when I was a kid, but only started watching it four episodes from the end of the first series. From that point on, I watched it religiously until the show ended.
Published on 26 Dec 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars VICE IS NICE!, 21 Feb 2005
Deborah MacGillivray "Author," (US & UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Miami Vice: Season One [DVD] [1985] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC] (DVD)
One happy camper here!! After seeing the trouble Wise Guy and Lovejoy had with "Nights in White Satin", I gnawed bullets when they announced Vice would come out on DVD. I loved this show, saw a lot more to the creativity and inspiration than critics did. But Vice is not just the story, the style -- it's the MUSIC! I know these episodes and ever tune that was perfectly picked to set the stage of each scene. What if they messed with the soundtrack??? Heaven forbid!
Well I am here to say - It's VICE Heaven!! The pristine episodes, in full movie stereo sound (stereo sound only can in the middle of the series) shown at their full running speed, not compressed for time so they can get more commercials in. This is VICE perfection. The transfer is beautiful, you could not ask for more, loaded with extras, but the main thing it's Season one as it was MEANT to be. The MUSIC!! Exactly, not changes!
Applause to Mann and Universal by doing right by Vice fans. All I can say is bring on Seasons 2-5 ASAP!!!
Episodes include
1) Vice Pilot (with a very young Jimmy Smitts!
2) Heart of Darkness
17) The Maze
18) Made for Each Other
19) The Home Invaders
20) Nobody Live Forever
21) Evan (just doesn't get better than this!)
22) Lombard
It's captioned in English. Language options: French and Spanish
Music is remixed in 5.1 Surround Sound.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a Letdown, 26 Dec 2005
By A Customer
The more I got into it, the more I craved for the first-series episodes (apart from the last four) that I missed originally. Caught the odd first-series episode re-run on UK Gold but nothing else apart from that. Upon a chance stumbling online, I found out that the first series was to be released on DVD. I couldn’t wait for it’s release.
When I finally got my hands on it, and having since watched all episodes, I have to say I’m a little disappointed. Maybe I’d hyped it up after all those years of waiting to such an extent that anything less than perfection was going to be a disappointment, but I don’t think so.
As it turns out, those last four episodes were far far better than those that preceded them. I found the early episodes (apart from the pilot) nowhere near as polished, or as ‘intense’, as those last four. I suppose this was inevitable but still a little bit of a letdown, all the same.
Worth buying for me though, just to put my mind at rest, but I don’t think you’ll ever beat the second series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Miami Vice, 29 Nov 2009
Miami Vice was the pinnacle of cool in the eighties & having never watched the show then decided to catch up on when it came out on region 1 dvd. This first season is awesome & has some great stories, although as with any other tv show of the era does feature some duffers aswell. Disappointed the extras are so short but it's Universal what do you expect they don't really bother doing anything special here retrospectives anyone? we know Mann is busy doing big movies but the same cannot be said of Thomas & Johnson who have both disappeared of the radar screen & have not done anything as big since although with Johnson he had another short lived success with the six seasons of Nash Bridges. But it's great seeing the show in it's original aired versions with the original music intact, so four stars it would have been five but there are no real special extras such as commentaries or retrospectives & the picture quality obviously has not been remastered in the same the audio has. But you can't beat great story telling & chemistry between the leads.

4.0 out of 5 stars great action, humour and lots of style, 16 Jan 2008
If you're looking for a police drama series that's got great action scenes
and humour then this is for you.If you're looking for a bunch of actors who look as though they belong together in a police station then it isn't! This said the rapport between the two main police officers is good and the quirkiness of many of the police characters isn't so silly given that this is Miami and people of different races and cultures are working togther.What I like most about Miami Vice is the sunny weather,the modern looking city and stylish cars,and the beautiful women who look as though they've never turned down a MacDonald's in their lives.The music is really good with often whole tracks from big time acts like Phil Collins being played in the background.And I've never seen a pet alligator living on a boat as a guard-dog before!You'll only think Miami Vice is old-fashioned when you see some of the disco scenes.The rest of the time the time just passes.

Miami Vice: Season One [DVD] [1985] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]