5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best animal movies Ive seen!
I watched this on bank holiday Monday on ITV and I personally didnt think it would be good! However I found myself staying tuned and watched the whole movie! I refused to move, even when the adverts came on!
Published on 1 Jun. 2005 by sapphirestar12

3.0 out of 5 stars Ring of Bright Water
Funny, sad, moving, sentimental (but not sickly so). I loved this movie when I first saw it at the cinema, and it's lost nothing of its charm over the years since it was made. Bill Travers is very believable in his role as writer Gavin Maxwell, and the Scottish scenary is a glorious backdrop to this wonderful true life tale of an otter brought in a London petshop and...
Published on 12 Jun. 2010 by JeanLouise

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best animal movies Ive seen!, 1 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Ring of Bright Water [DVD] [1969] (DVD)
I loved Bill Travers acting and found Mij the otter entertaining! They really worked well together and Virginia McKenna as the Scotish village doctor was stunning.
I enjoyed the soundtrack and the locations of the movie were breath taking and this film has dug itself into my heart. It pulled at my heart strings and make me laugh and almost shed a tear.
Please try and see this classic, its one of those films, that still to this day will be enjoyed by audiences young and old!

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Film and a beautiful story, 22 April 2002
Ring of Bright Water is a beautiful film. It is set in the West Coast of Scotland amidst the most fantastic scenery in Great Britain. A story about a man and his love for an sea otter, Midge, who gets upto all kinds of mischief around the surrounding country side. Pefect watching for lazy days! This is a story for animal lovers everywhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good "Rainy Afternoon" film, 29 Dec. 2006
Philip Marsh "flip_martian" (Hanslope, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ring of Bright Water [DVD] [1969] (DVD)
I remember the film as being beautifully shot and a gentle, probably a bit wimpy and sentimental story (nothing really wrong with that). However, I saw this on one of the rare occasions a film projector was brought into school in the 70s - we were only about 8 years old. THAT scene (I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it) and its effect on an 8 year old boy (ie me!) has stayed with me always and I've never been able to watch it again!

A good film and recommended. Just don't have your kids there watching it without a box of tissues handy!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent family viewing, 6 Oct. 2007
This review is from: Ring of Bright Water [DVD] [1969] (DVD)
Gentle quiet atmospheric film with some extradinary happenings.
Natural history and scottish highlands, good to clear your head..breathe that fresh air and drink that crystal water.
Boys 7,10 really enjoyed this film. I had seen it many years ago as childhood memories of it have lingered.
Beautiful haunting theme tune brings a tear to one's eye.
Could watch again, maybe a childhood family classic

5.0 out of 5 stars A tale that can be watched time and again, 16 Mar. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Ring of Bright Water [DVD] [1969] (DVD)
Fast moving with awesome Scottish landscapes, great classical music and engaging characters all brought together by a otter who is saved from a pet shop in London and in the process returns us to the freedom of the sky and the sea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ring of Bright Water, 14 Sept. 2009
Jaye B (Lanarkshire, U.K) - See all my reviews
I cry every time I watch this, it just gets to me! A great film for all the family although it is a bit sad but with a happy ending. Good to watch on a rainy afternoon.

5.0 out of 5 stars ring of bright memories, 29 Jan. 2010
the main film has been re-digitalized and is both sound and sight perfect. The interviews after the film use 'flash back' to support comments made by the producer...and these flashbacks are NOT re-digitalized (yellowy and spotted) and you then realise how marvellous the "new" film is now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, but for that one terrible thing... nevertheless, it is a wonderful film and very worth watching!, 23 May 2012
Spoilers, be warned.

I adore this film. It's a very 60's film; it has about as much subtlety as a sledgehammer, and yet because of that it is incredibly sincere in a way that a lot of modern films aren't. It is nothing more than a man who finds an otter amid the dreary greyness of London, and moves away to Scotland to start a new life in a derelict cottage across the hill from a little village. The film is pretty much completely free from cynicism, and although you will have to allow for some fairly odd "Scottish" accents from the actors, it's adequately acted.

SPOILERS

For an otter lover such as me the film is an absolute must; it is full of well-shot footage of Mij the otter generally being very sweet and playful. There is no complex plot, but there isn't supposed to be - it is simply a beautiful film about a man whose life is transformed when he rescues an otter from a pet shop. Through the otter he learns to return to a wonderful naivety and playfulness that we feel we ought to try as well. Again, the film is about as subtle as a sledgehammer in this respect, but it doesn't matter - sincerity is nice every now and then.

SPOILERS

My only disagreement - and again, SPOILERs - is Mij's end. It is offscreen but, in my opinion, unnecessary. I defend the film's obviousness and lack of subtlety up until this point. I thought it was extremely blatant, an attempt to give the film a "tearjerker" end, and make it tragic. It just made me angry. There was no need, and what's more it was completely out of the blue and desperately nasty. The whole film has been a fantasia of pretty things and dreams up until this point, and I don't think the director has the right to blot it out in one blow of a spade (from a farmer who hadn't realised that the otter was special). It's powerful in that it evoked a reaction from me, but entirely the wrong one. I wasn't upset for the otter, who is dealt with off screen (and the real otter is obviously unhurt); I was angry that this beautiful film had such a tasteless and harshly unnecessary ending.

SPOILERS

However, despite that, I love the film to bits and I honestly recommend it to anybody who loves otters, animals, or a simple film that will make you smile with beautiful scenery and a happy storyline. When I watch it I skip the nasty part (For viewers who are unsure, it occurs at 1hr 42 mins roughly). Then the end is open to the imagination, for the viewer to go away and dream about playing with Mij the otter in the Scottish hills for as much as they please.

5.0 out of 5 stars review, 17 Sept. 2011
Mrs. A. Smart - See all my reviews
Grand daughter loved this DVD. Suitable for all ages and a good one to watch as a family. Had seen it before years ago but that didn't spoil our enjoyment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sentimentality supreme, 28 Sept. 2002
D I Jones (Hyde, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ring of Bright Water [DVD] [1969] (DVD)
Most of my generation will remember this film. Chance throws an unhappy man and an otter together, and his life in London is destroyed. He comes to see the city as a cage that holds them both prisoner and sets off on a quest for freedom on the Scottish coast.
Sentimental nonsense? Of course it is, and we could all do with more of it. I gave a copy of this film to a friend's five year old daughter and I hope it hurts her just as much as it hurt me when I was a child. I'm glad that despite being so much older I still find this an achingly beautiful film.
But why did they make keeping otters illegal? If we all had one they wouldn't be endangered.

Ring of Bright Water [DVD] [1969]
Ring of Bright Water [DVD] [1969] by Jack Couffer (DVD - 2002)