5.0 out of 5 stars IBM Microdrive transforms this camera, 23 July 2001
This review is from: Canon Powershot G1 (Electronics)
I bought the Powershot G1 a few months ago and loved the quality and ease of use, apart from the mode selector, which tends to get moved whenever you cycle the power switch.
However, the constant worry of running out of storage space, especially in high res mode, meant that the camera only got used for the odd party (quickly followed by a download to my PC via the excellent bundled software).
A forthcoming trip to Florida prompted the purchase of a 1GB IBM Microdrive... The Microdrive slots in the same slot as the normal memory cartridge and to all intents and purposes is identical in operation, although it seems a little slower to respond to access requests.
The Microdrive has transformed the camera. Yes it adds huge storage capacity (1000 highest res images can be stored) but it also gives you the freedom to explore the camera. I no longer spend ages composing each frame in the knowledge that I have limited storage space. Instead I can shoot to my hearts content, making full use of the many exposure modes that the camera offers.
To my surprise, even the standard battery pack seems to cope well, although I doubt if it could do more than 200 to 300 images (ie 20-30% of the 'drives capacity without running out of juice). Of course, you can always add another battery to your kit at around £45 and a car charger at £85.
If you are looking for a top quality digital camera then the Powershot G1 is great, greater still though with a Microdrive.

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid hit, 22 May 2001
This review is from: Canon Powershot G1 (Electronics)
I bought a Powershot G1 when I realised that the cheap digital camera I'd been given was never going to produce the kind of printed results I wanted. I was looking for something that I could use as a simple point & shoot but that I wouldn't grow out of as my abilities grew. The results had to be good enough to produce flawless 10"x 8" frameable prints. The Canon has delighted me on every score. It's very easy to use in full auto-mode, is built like a tank and boasts an amazing range of features that will satisfy all but the professional photographer. It's produced some stunning results too. It takes some time to wade through the two instruction manuals (one about the camera, one about the software) but the more effort you put into that the more pleasure you'll get out. Once you've got your head around the controls they're very logically laid out and easy to use, and there's a delightfully expensive feel about the whole thing. I love the fact that it's relatively big and so solid too - I find some of the smaller digital cameras far too fiddly. If you're sure you want a top-quality digital camera it's got to be a toss-up between this, the Olympus Camedia C-3040 or the Nikon Coolpix 990 (which I don't think is being made any more). The Canon is just as good as either of the others and looks twice as nice. No contest! Don't forget to budget for memory cards (you'll need at least a 32MB card, preferably more) and a decent inkjet printer if you haven't already got one.

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding, 9 Aug. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Canon Powershot G1 (Electronics)
I have my G1 for a month, took more than 1000 pictures allready, in all kind of conditions except portraits. I have been through 2 Kodak digital camera previously and I think there is a world of difference. I have yet to find a major grievance against the G1. The only minor one is the manual focusing on macro, but I'm on the track for a workaround. All in all, the more I use it, the more I love this camera. When used with a good sofware (it comes with Photoshop LE) and a nice photo printer, it gives you the perfect personnal colour photo production chain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well built, but expensive, 2 Aug. 2001
This review is from: Canon Powershot G1 (Electronics)
I bought my G1 6 months ago and am still discovering the joys of digital photography with a high end camera like this. I tripped over recently and the camera sustained a bounce on the pavement with no ill effects except for a tiny dent, it is built to last. There is also a great online community of G1 fans discussing the camera, tips and tricks, essential for someone like me coming from the old days of a manual SLR.
It's still not cheap though considering it has been on the market for a while and its looks are a bit retro, but all in all, still one of the best digicams out there... Unless you can afford a D30 :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon G1 is an excellent Camera, 28 Jun. 2001
This review is from: Canon Powershot G1 (Electronics)
My G1 is in use most days and I'm very pleased with it. Canon have produced a very solid camera of quality construction, with a very user friendly menu system. It has coped very well with varied conditions and is equally at home taking "point-and-click" snaps or used in full manual mode. Throw in a Remote control and movable LCD and you have the perfect camera for all occasions. I also recommend the purchase of an IBM Microdrive, providing much greater storage capacity (>1Gb)than any CompactFlash card for considerably less £ per Mb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Canon Powershot G1, 24 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Canon Powershot G1 (Electronics)
Have owned this camera for 3 years and can't fault it. Easy to use with supurb picture quality.

Canon Powershot G1