5.0 out of 5 stars Easy enough even for me!
Published on 8 Aug 2008 by M. S. Mason

2.0 out of 5 stars good for hollidays but not for learning the language
I bought this CD with a view to learning croatian as a second language. This is not a good idea. The CD is aimed at teaching you the most basic croatian and is composed entirely for people visiting there on holliday. You are not taught any grammar or sentance composition rules, simply phrases.
My fiancé is croatian, he and his friends listened to the CD then...
Published on 15 Sep 2004 by Kathryn Jayne Palmer

2.0 out of 5 stars good for hollidays but not for learning the language, 15 Sep 2004
This review is from: Talk Now Learn Croatian: Essential Words and Phrases for Absolute Beginners (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
My fiancé is croatian, he and his friends listened to the CD then spent the next 20 minutes in fits of laughter. Apparently the man and woman who teach you the croatian on this CD are neither croatian themselves nor speak with a croatian accent. Yes, on the CD there is a feature allowing you to get your pronounciation right, but you will be copying someone who cannot speak like a local... is there any point in this?
My fiancé also added that much of the time their pronounciation makes them sound like they are being sarcastic... If you are in a strange country and you need help, do you really want to sound sarcastic?
The games are helpful and useful in as much as it makes it a little easier to learn the material but if you know no grammar or sentence structure rules then you cannot apply this knowledge to new situations. I would only recommend tourists to buy this CD.
P.S. Whatever you do... Don't copy the woman when she says "yes"/"da" this is about as sarcastic as you can get!

2.0 out of 5 stars As basic as it gets!!!, 4 Nov 2005
I know it's title is Croatian for beginers but I was expecting a little more than a childrens storytime interface with two annoying characters chirping in every two seconds telling you well done.
I think the company that publishes this owns shares in computer monitor manufacturing as by the end of the lesson I wanted to throw mine through the window!.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, it didn't help me, 18 Aug 2012
This is a collection of games featuring Croatian words. If you ignore all the hype, and I'm afraid there is some, that fundamentally is what it amounts to - games with words. I'm awful with languages, really bad at them, but the hype does insist that there's no such thing as someone who's bad at languages. I did manage to finish the course, and even got it to print a certificate with a gold medal on it, but I can't introduce myself, or say where I'm from, or how old I am. Virtually nothing has stuck. Wouldn't it be great if the hype was true, wouldn't it be fantastic if I'd now learned lots of new words and phrases.... maybe it will work for you, but to my great regret it hasn't done for me. Sorry. Wish me luck in Croatia(!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy enough even for me!, 8 Aug 2008
M. S. Mason - See all my reviews
I'm awful at languages and tend to slip up even at 'beginner' stages. This CD really works for me though. I've only be using it for a day and already I'm remembering loads of words. Yes I would say that if you wanted to really learn the guts of Croatian then this maybe isn't for you. And yes the interface is a little childish. If, like me however, you are off on your hols and don't want to appear like a 'Rule Britannia, everyone speaks English anyway' type, then I would definately say BUY THIS CD :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Help in need, 14 Oct 2003
My business partner wanted to know basics of Croatian language.
After my first atempts to be his teacher I find this CD ROM.
First week he amazed me with fluently spoken phrases from Croatian language. And he sad he enjoyed when he discovered progress meter rising day by day!
Excellent!