5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome acoustic performance, 17 July 2001
This review is from: Scorpions - Acoustica [DVD] (DVD)
This is a wonderful recording filmed behind the walls of a Portugese monastery, in front of an audience of devoted fans. The concert includes Scorpions classics such as "Holiday", "Send me an angel" and, of course, "Wind of change". There are also covers of "Dust in the wind" by Kansas and The Cars' classic "Drive". The DVD includes 21 tracks in all, plus quite a few bonuses - interviews with the band and video edits of four songs, for example.
The band is supported by some excellent musicians, and the quality of the performance is superb. If you like the Scorpions and music without any amplification, you will love this DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent DVD, 1 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Scorpions - Acoustica [DVD] (DVD)
This live acoustics concert are wonderful. Has AC-3, DTS, LPCM sound modes. Great and pure sound from this legendary band.
Image are very beautiful. I recommend this for all people who like's Scorpions

5.0 out of 5 stars great show!, 5 Jan. 2003
Youri (Moscow, Russia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scorpions - Acoustica [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD (and also CD with abt. 75 % of songs) was recorded live in Portuguese monastery more or less "unplugged" (bass guitar was mostly electric though). New acoustic arrangements gave old classics a new life, plus there are 2 or three new songs and three cover-versions: Dust in the Wind ("Kansas" original), Drive (from "Cars") and Love of my Life ('Queen', of course). Total of 21 tracks, and I should say that 17 or 18 of them are played real good. Five members of the band plus one (Brazilian?) percussionist, one extra ac. gtr. player, a keyboard/orchestrations/arrangements wizard, three background singers and a girl with cello (unfortunately, we can hear her only accasionally - thanks to Mr. Soundman). Ah, and last but not the least: great audience and fantastic dancers!

There are some interviews also, and I recall talking to Messrs. Meine & Schenker during Moscow Music peace festival in 1988 (or was it 1989? - I should check, I still got memorable T'shirt from the event :-)) and singing "Wind of Change" together.

Picture is exellent, but the sound - well, PCM Stereo is real good, 5.1 Dolby is not bad, but 5.1 DTS is really something: thanks to Mr. Soundman again I've had unforgettable experience - vocals from central channel (OK), gtrs from left and right front speakers (too quiet!) and very loud keyboards from left and right rear speakers!!! A real fly in the ointment, because on CD the sound is OK.

But anyway, this is a really good live DVD with different acoustic sound from the band of endless hits.
Try it and you won't be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - apart from the dancers, 16 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Scorpions - Acoustica [DVD] (DVD)
As a long-time Scorps fan, I was looking forward to this one and eventually bought it recently.
The new arrangements of old classics are fantastic, and come across a lot better on the DVD than the CD simply because you can see what's going on and revel in the more relaxed atmosphere. Matthias Jabs is consistently overlooked in "Best Guitarist" polls, which can only be on account of his lower profile than the Vais and Van Halens of this world. For me, he's right up among the top rock guitarists and plays acoustic as well as electric.
Watching this gig, I thought the Scorpions had maybe got over the necessity of including bimbos in their videos (let's face it, the blatant sexism of the early 80s was embarrassing, notably including RYLaH), and had matured past the adolescent fantasy thing. Unfortunately, it's only a matter of time before scantily-clad fantasy figures appear in this performance - the cowgirls was a particularly poor idea. With this sort of thing still featuring, the band's reputation won't improve past derision from the music press (see: Classic Rock).
Come on Scorpions, ditch the teen fantasies - Virgin Killer was a long time ago now. Concentrate on the music!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish you were here., 12 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Scorpions - Acoustica [DVD] (DVD)
If there was a point to building a time machine this would be it. Set to Portugal 2001. The clarity is amazing, sound superb. I missed Scorpions first time round and now 30 years on this gig fired something in me. I've been through rock, glam, thrash, goth you name it and gone full circle. There they are Scorpions matured by 30 by some years. This was a fantastic gig at a fantastic venue the DVD is so good you almost think you are there. With a back catalogue as long as your arm I cannot wait to get wheelbarrow loads of their old stuff. Scropions rock.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another nice surprise from Scorpions !, 22 Feb. 2003
This review is from: Scorpions - Acoustica [DVD] (DVD)
A really nice concert in an old Monastery in Portugal.. the only thing I didn't like, was that the place had small capacity, so there couldn't be many scorpions fans. I liked very much the way that the band "converted" some hard rock songs to unplugged.. The dancers were also great.
You'll enjoy this dvd, unless you are scorpions fan only for their hard rock era.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute masterpiece on video!!!, 2 Aug. 2001
This review is from: Scorpions - Acoustica [DVD] (DVD)
Wow! I think Scorps made really superb concert in Portugal which included all their super songs. From the start til the end U will love this live performance with great other musicians and geat atmosphere which was filmed in old monastery in Portugal. Absolutely must have DVD!!! Sorry for my english, I'm from Netherlands.

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't stop listening to them, 23 Feb. 2005
This review is from: Scorpions - Acoustica [DVD] (DVD)
I can't believe my luck! I heard this DVD concert for the first time in Ireland, after a few too many Guinness. And then bought it off Amazon the moment I returned home to England, and now I just can't stop putting it on through my speakers and enjoying the live performance of a very professional band.
Wouldn't it be great if all bands were actually composed of good musicians! Perfect world! The musicianship and arrangements help drive these songs into perfection on stage that we wish all bands could try for once in a while - I mean if you're going to be paid millions for being a pop or rock star at least try to be good at it, and if all else fails be entertaining! Well, the scorpions are absolutely magic.
I haven't bought any of their albums yet, but I only heard this concert three days ago, so I might have to splash out a little more hard earned cash and get myself some of their stuff to drive to - you know, like at two in the morning and no one's on the motorway and you're driving along like you own the country, that's when you need a good sound track.
Enjoy this DVD - oh ya ............ buy it, then enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer professionalism, 6 May 2006
A. Tidmarsh (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scorpions - Acoustica [DVD] (DVD)
I wrote the title of this review and then suddenly found myself at a loss to elaborate.

Ok, I've recovered now :-). This band should play "unplugged" all the time! It clearly gives them the ability to concentrate on the sound production to a degree that other bands would be wise to emulate. It used to be that Queen were slagged off for perfectionism (who were these philistines?). But like another reviewer here says: successful Rock Bands get paid a lot, so they really have no excuse for anything less than perfection. However, in Acoustica, the Scorpions make Live Queen sound "rough-and-ready" and set a new standard. I suspect that even the band would agree that a large part of the credit for this should actually go to the production team: excellent clear sound; well balanced mix and superb image quality all work together to make watching the DVD a repeatable pleasure. I've seen this band on another live DVD and absolutely hated it - musically and visually. This production, however, is almost like watching a different band. If you were uncertain about the Scorpions before and haven't seen this DVD, then at least rent it before you rule them out. Incidentally, the best way to play this is in "continuous music" mode, which neatly puts all the songs close together like on a CD, skipping the boring audience-only bits: a clever use of the DVD playback option-technology that this superb production team have used. Like I said: sheer professionalism in every aspect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cudn't believe it, 24 Mar. 2005
This review is from: Scorpions - Acoustica [DVD] (DVD)
When I bougt the cd "acoustica" i cudn't believe how awesome it was. I consider myself a medium Scorpion fan, having 13 of their albums and having seen them play live. So the cd struck me cos the band clearly had evolved to being a more complete band in every aspect. And the album was just amazing. TILL...I discovered this dvd. (U wudn't believe how I've gotten hold of it). I watched it. And...the dvd is even better. Of course the cd has the same songs (not all of them) on it as the dvd. But having heard the cd first and then the dvd i can honestly say: the dvd is even better. Watching them play. Putting their heart and soul into this performance (only Rudolf seems at time a lil worn out), great venue, great song selection, great lights, great musicians joining the band,....just a perfect 10 all the way. The songs they cover ain't just trying to play other one's songs: they're giving them that little extra. Only downside to it is the visual performance of the dancers they're adding to it. e.g. tease me please me. (if i'm not mistaken). This is not only a must have for every Scorpions fan, this is a great piece of art for any music lover.

Scorpions - Acoustica [DVD]
Scorpions - Acoustica [DVD] by Scorpions (DVD - 2001)
Used & New from: £7.69