4.0 out of 5 stars Timeless classics.
I was never a Roxy fan,I was only a kid during the 70`s and only knew of them because my oldest sister was in love with Ferry,I heard some of the early Roxy songs and never thought about them much until I started getting into music myself at the start of the 80`s and remembered hearing Avalon,More Than This and Same Old Scene on the radio very often.
The surprising...
Published on 12 Sep 2008 by S. Williamson

3.0 out of 5 stars CD
Not as good as I'd hoped but okay for the price, expected there to be more from Bryan Ferry, it's certainly not the "best" of Roxy music
Published 15 months ago by Bruce

4.0 out of 5 stars Timeless classics., 12 Sep 2008
This review is from: The Best Of Roxy Music (Audio CD)
The surprising thing to me on this collection of songs is just how good and how many hits Roxy had,the only thing that drops a star for me is that the early stuff is harder for me to like but hey I`m an 80`s child.
For me this record has done what it was intended to,it`s made me want to go out and buy the other Roxy albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five-star Roxy, 12 July 2007
A. L. Sharples (Hannover, Germany) - See all my reviews
The sound quality on this release is outstanding. Some people may bemoan the lack of multi-channel but the stereo sound is terrific - we should all be thankful these songs are available on SACD at all! Owners of Roxy's Avalon SACD will surely buy this disc.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tale of Two Roxy's !!, 11 Jun 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Best Of Roxy Music (Audio CD)
A very "interesting" cd - especially for those souls who think of Roxy Music as always being the quintessentially last word in pop elegance.
Tracks 1 - 8 summarise this elegant, very slick body of work after they re-formed in 1978 following a two year break. This was commercially their most successful period. Overall the material was fairly gorgeous and tasteful, but for me sometimes a little too eager to please the dinner party set. "Avalon" for me is the standout track from this time. It's detatched beauty was the last word in atmosphere and chic.
As the CD continues, we trail through Roxy's (in my opinion) more glorious past. The slick stuff was also edgy and weird ("Mother of Pearl"). Some classic pop-rock was offered ("All I want is You", "Street Life" - yeah, Roxy could be very noisy in their young days). The perfectly-formed art-pop-kitsch of "Virginia Plain" has been copied to an extent by the likes of Air today. And as for the anarchic "Remake/Remodel" - well that should show you that our Bryan didn't start out by crooning alone !
If you only know Roxy's more (relatively) recent offerings and you're prepared to have your perception of them changed for ever - this CD is a steal !
"Make me a deal and make it straight..."

5.0 out of 5 stars The best "Best of", 26 Jan 2010
Mr. S. Harris (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Roxy Music (Audio CD)
From the smooth classics "Avalon" and "More than This" through to the stunning, groundbreaking "Virginia Plain" and "Re-make/Re-model", every track sounds great (there are 18 in total). Better even than any Bowie compilation I think. The Beatles might be able to compete with this for pure quality (if only they allowed a definitive best-of CD to be released). Short of that, I doubt that there is a better value "Best of" CD out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a glorious history, 6 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Best Of Roxy Music (Audio CD)
Get out your glitter, your platform shoes, those little pillbox hats with veils - whatever it was you wore to those Roxy concerts in the 70s - and prepare to enjoy yourself. I'd forgotten how much good music Roxy had made over the years.
I put this CD on and not one bad track. It's a real jaunt down memory lane and a great testimonial to one of the most original groups ever. To quote Mr. Ferry "It's a new sensation, a fabulous creation" ......!

5.0 out of 5 stars An intrigiung & successful retrospective..., 8 Jan 2004
This review is from: The Best Of Roxy Music (Audio CD)
Compiling a one CD “Best of Roxy Music” is a tough task. Why?... well, not only did the group re-invent itself in personnel & style on at least three occasions during its 10 year life but, the strength of its most effective albums (in particular “For Your Pleasure”, “Country Life”, “Flesh + Blood” and “Avalon”) lies in their cohesion, making the selection of individual tracks out of context extremely difficult. So… better to forget any pretensions to a “Best of…” title and to consider this compilation for what it actually is: an intriguing and successful retrospective.
Intriguing because it’s sequenced “back to front”, starting off with the “radio friendly”, beautifully crafted tracks produced at the end of their career and then progressing backwards (in time at least!) to the distinctly less “easy listening” and far more radical outings from the beginning of their career. Compare this album’s first track (“Avalon”, from their last studio recording) to its last track (“Re-Make/Re-Model”, from their first record) to witness the scale of the change involved. Successful, because it gradually takes the listener from the familiar to the “strange” and, in so doing, pretty effectively maps out the group’s career while providing, on the way, an excellent “sampler” of what’s to be found on their individual albums. A job well done but, “The Best of…”: unlikely/impossible!

4.0 out of 5 stars Yet another very good Roxy compilation, 10 Jun 2001
This review is from: The Best Of Roxy Music (Audio CD)
Well-here we go again. A Roxy complilation. Nice girl on the cover. Great mastering. Sounds fresh and vibrant on your new DVD / HDCD player. As much as i love the contents it really is time the guys (or Bryan) do something new. To tie in with the tour, we get another re-hash of greatest hits and Roxy favourites. As usual the early stuff is energising, suggesting the power of early Punk. The older stuff remains mature intelligent easy listening genius. Dance Away remains one of the BEST Pop lyrics EVER. Buy it for yourself, But it for a friend. Hopefuly they will get the hint and make something new as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glam, urbane, cool, what more do you want?, 25 Nov 2010
J. Davies "Johnny D" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Roxy Music (Audio CD)
Never paid much attention to Roxy Music during the early years of my musical education, always appeared, particularly by the early to mid 1980s as a bit too smooth, night club/lounge soundtrack. Background to many a Yuppie dinner party I suspect, for those who wanted something a bit more highbrow than the late 80s Motown/New Soul sound.

However this collection is packed with some fantastic tracks, from early Eno engineered 'Street Life' and 'Do The Strand' to the later 'Avalon' 'Virginia Plain' and 'Same Old Scene'.

Some of the collection is slightly dated but the musicianship, particularly Phil Manzanera's guitar work and Andy Mackay's Sax solos are brilliant. Well worth further investigation, classic British avant-garde rock at its best, I'll just grab my tux and order a cocktail.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally ace, mind blowing, 5 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Best Of Roxy Music (Audio CD)
I've loved Roxy music for years but haven't listened to them in yonks as I didn't have their CD. I received my CD from Amazon today and I'm totally blown away. lots of nostalgia too. Virginia Plain......... whow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes this is a HDCD release, 28 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Best Of Roxy Music (Audio CD)
Just received this CD and despite not having the HDCD logo anywhere on the cover, booklet or CD itself I can confirm that this, like the album re-releases of 1999 is recorded in HDCD. As far as the compliation itself - it's quite good but is it "the best of"? Probably not. It's got some great tracks, a couple of non-album singles (Jealous Guy and the single "disco" mix of Angel Eyes) and all sounds very nice, however it manages to miss out on five stars due to the fact that it is all so "nice" and fails to show the more edgy side of the band.

The Best Of Roxy Music
The Best Of Roxy Music by Roxy Music (Audio CD - 2001)