5.0 out of 5 stars Good interim updates, not great stability
Published on 25 May 2002 by Andrew

3.0 out of 5 stars it depends on your needs and status
What I mean by the title, is that if you already have office 2000, it is best sticking with that, but if you are new and want a new office, then this is probably worth it. Although some say the features are only cosmetic (a lot are), there are very good features that simply need to be seen.
These are especially in Excel and PowerPoint, which provide much easier...
Published on 25 Feb 2002 by Mr D J Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Good interim updates, not great stability, 25 May 2002
This review is from: Office XP Professional (CD-ROM)
Office XP is a mixed bag. If, like myself, you use the products fairly often, you'll notice a few improvements... Most notably, or at least the biggest change I've seen yet, are the new coloured menus...Wow. Well, they're a nice shade of blue. So, whilst waiting for whatever product of XP to crash, you can have a fun time watching these. But don't worry, you won't have to wait long. Sure enough Mr. Crash and Mrs. Lose all your work to the most unstable Office suite to date, will be along very shortly.
I have lost many pieces of work and emails when Word and Outlook (the two products I use most) have crashed. Also, XP noticeably slows down your system. I will be uninstalling XP and going back to Office 2k, which was MS's best office suite.
If you like blue menus, or are still using an old version and cannot get hold of 2k, upgrade. If you have 2k or 97, stay put.

3.0 out of 5 stars it depends on your needs and status, 25 Feb 2002
Mr D J Harris (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Office XP Professional (CD-ROM)
These are especially in Excel and PowerPoint, which provide much easier on-screen support to get started and have many editing features (PowerPoint) by which you can animate and edit clipart images to provide a customised presentation.
There are some features in word that are useful, with its integrated speech package, which is quite accurate if you speak as advised (in sentences) otherwise it's a nightmare trying to make it recognise single words.
I first installed this package on Windows 98SE, where the application made desktop crash if I clicked on the taskbar, but since installing Windows XP, the problem has gone. If you want maximum reliability, it is best to stick to the earlier packages...

2.0 out of 5 stars Be Wary of XP!, 29 Nov 2001
This review is from: Office XP Professional (CD-ROM)
While Office XP has some useful new features, if you are currently using 2000 (or maybe even 97), I would have to recommend sticking with it. Office XP does not seem to have enough new features that are worth the upgrade cost. Beware of speech recognition, it has enabled itself automatically several times on me, once I was having a conversation with a friend when I had Word open and all of a sudden my document started filling up with mysterious words! Also be warned that you *MUST* register with M$ after a set amount of days (50?), and if you change your hardware or software configuration too much, it will make you register again. Too many changes and you'll get locked out completely!
All in all, not an essential upgrade, and new users may want to look at Office 2000 instead (it'll be cheaper for one thing!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not an essential upgrade, 4 Jun 2001
This review is from: Office XP Professional (CD-ROM)
i first got office xp a month ago and it took just over sevral hours to install! apart from the obvious cosmetic changes there is not much to write home about. Theres a few upgraded tools such as the translate option and thats about it. 1 thing that was dissasspointing was the clipart images. Theres only 900 images and those that are present are not the best but there are hundreds online and theres the ability to add more from all your previous versions. Overall this is not an essential upgrade unless you haven't got 2000 but if you have to have it dont expect anything marvelous.

1.0 out of 5 stars XP - you may as well be burning fivers, 16 Mar 2002
This review is from: Office XP Professional (CD-ROM)
I have just yesterday (15th March 2002) had Office XP de-installed from my PC at work as it was about as stable as the Argentinian economy. Excel 2002 crashed 12 times in 2 days, Word 2002 crashed 5 times in 15 minutes (this is running it on NT4 with 255mb of RAM). When the de-install programme was run, it then corrupted NT4 and my PC refused to reboot at all as it transpired it had corrupted the boot sector partition on my hard disk. I then had to be furnished with an entirely new PC.
In short, Office XP lives up to Microsofts usual non-existent software development standards, indeed it seems to have surpassed all previous depths of bad development, coupled with the disgusting licencing arrangements, you may as well stick with Office 2000 (XP also offers no really useful additional features, just more gimmicks), take your upgrade cash and just burn it in the garden, at least the ashes would be useful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellant!, 5 July 2001
This review is from: Office XP Professional (CD-ROM)
Just to reassure those people who have read the previous comments, Office XP is actually very good. It only took about half an hour for me to install it and be ready to use it. That includes learning the new features and setting up the voice recognition software. Many of the new aditions are excellant, such as the aforementioned voice recognition, which works a lot better than IBM via voice. Powerpoint is now a dream to work with, endless possibilities offered with each slide. Word and Excel are even better than they were before, and even if its not all that useful, im sure you'll have fun with a new feature in Excel which speaks what you have written. All in all, Office XP is a successfull adition to the Microsoft family, so dont let the previous reviews put you off.

5.0 out of 5 stars works a treat, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Office XP Professional (CD-ROM)
downloaded and worked no problem bargain would not hesitate to buy again easy to use and no problems wonderful buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth upgrading to 2002, 19 Oct 2001
Marc-Stephen (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Office XP Professional (CD-ROM)
Just recieved Microsfot Office XP and I have to say it's the best version of Office yet.
Installation was quick and painless (about 1 hour) comparred to the problems I faced installing Office 2000.
The whole suite of products now looks a lot better and user freindly than before, and although to the casual user most of the upgrades seem only cosmetic in nature, their are some useful new features. Each product now has built in voice and handwriting recognition (buying these types of programs seperately can be pricey). The new smart tags and task panes may only be an upgrade of the old 'wizards' in Office 2000, but they are much easier to use and navigate around. The additon of document recovery is a plus but seems to have only been included as a counter-measure to the instability of the Windows environment (much like system restore in Windows Me).
My only complaint is that Office XP seems to use RAM like it is going out of fashion so I don't recommend using more than two of the programs at one.
Overall a good effort from Microsoft and well worth the cash, lets hope Windows XP lives up to the same standard.

1.0 out of 5 stars Much better things to spend your money on, 24 Sep 2003
This review is from: Office XP Professional (CD-ROM)
How Microsoft can justify nearly 400 for a software package is beyond me. Granted, you get several applications in the box, but most of these use the same components. My experience with Office XP has been far from good. After crashing unexpectedly when I was trying to add the finishing touches to my document, Word did recover my document for me... 3 days later, by which time I had retyped it in time for my deadline. I shouldn't need to reach for CTRL-S after every sentence. Excel tries desperately to be a DBMS, and fails. All I want it to do is let me create spreadsheets, which it does, but I'm not paying such a ridiculous price for something I can get for free in OpenOffice. PowerPoint is and has always been useless and tacky, and there's not much at all going for Access, which can't keep a large database in check to save its life (which doesn't last very long). And has anyone ever tried to create a decent website using FrontPage? Well if you're planning to, you'll need to upgrade your web hosting package to one with lots more space. My modest FrontPage creation guzzled over 15MB in disk space including images, and did less than my PHP alternative, which took up less than 4MB including images. Needless to say, FrontPage's HTML coding leaves much to be desired. I wonder if any of its designers are literate? Outlook cannot be nailed too harshly into its coffin. It functions reasonably well as an e-mail client and contact manager, but in case nobody has noticed, it's free counterpart does the former just as well, because it uses the same engine!
Last but not least, should you choose an alternative, bear in mind that documents created by MS Office users will look less than great in your application. Not because your choice is inferior, but because the only way your software can understand an Office document is because its developers have had to break its structure bit by bit as Microsoft won't release the details of its documents' formatting. Anti-competitive? It's up to you.
There are much better cheaper alternatives available, and some free ones. OpenOffice, MySQL, PostgreSQL to name very few. You could find much better things to spend your money on. I can only imagine the costs of licensing multiple computers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Get OpenOffice and a Flat Panel Monitor instead, 7 July 2003
This review is from: Office XP Professional (CD-ROM)
I am so happy at the moment, I was going to get this then decided to try OpenOffice instead. OpenOffice is great. Does everything I need and more. So I bought a Flat Panel Monitor instead. A couple of my friends did too. I'm really glad that I tried OpenOffice because it is free to download, and the new version that is coming up is free too.
I'm nearly lost for words I'm smiling so much

Office XP Professional
Office XP Professional by Microsoft Software (Windows 2000 / 98 / Me / NT / XP)
Used & New from: 14.99