5.0 out of 5 stars I'm sure I've been here once before...?
Published on 7 Jun 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars This is ok
There are no standout tracks on this album. The whole thing is nicely produced and there are no standout bad points either. This is Zoot Woman's first album, I've just listened to their third album and it's a whole lot better… By 2009, Stuart Price had really found his producers feet. The third album is well worth it!
Published 14 months ago by J. McCully

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm sure I've been here once before...?, 7 Jun 2001
This review is from: Living In A Magazine (Audio CD)
Wow, why didn't anyone else think of this before? (well I mean *since* the first time around!) I guess the Zoots wanted to wait until we'd all *really* forgotten what the best bits of the early 80's were all about - make-up, airbrushing, gloss, hairspray and synths - before throwing them all back at us in such a faithful nod to the greats of the time. In a way I can't believe that this album is a new release - not only are the instruments and suits straight of the Top of the Pops stage circa 1983, but the lyrics are so appropriate to the time - there was a time when the charts were littered with songs about Jessie, and here's another one! If I were to say the words 'advertise', 'plastic', 'beautiful' and 'image', you already KNOW what this album is like!
I've given this 5 stars because I was 12 in 1983 and it was pop like this that accompanied me through my formative years. And yes, I do also own the best of Hall and Oates and the odd Flock of Seagulls tape somewhere. Track 6 is pure Bladerunner soundtrack, but the highlight is a thumping rebirth of Kraftwerk's 'The Model' - I'd like to play it all the time, it's understood! As a kitsch, retro nod to all those 'I love 1980' programmes, this definitely hits the spot, but without a hint of irony or lack of original songs. These guys get my vote.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely not a case of style over content, 14 Jun 2001
This review is from: Living In A Magazine (Audio CD)
Zoot Woman could be construed simply as a trendy 80s retro synth band, who dare to include a cover of Kraftwerk's The Model in their repertoire, and who have nothing of substance behind their uniform appearance. This would be so wrong....
This is a fantastic album, with it's wash of harmonies, driving bass rhythms and lush synthesisers. It epitomises everything that was new and original about the electronic music boom and production techniques of the 1980s and gives it a subtle 21st century twist. Tracks like Nobody Knows (Part One), Jessie and Holiday Home with those sumptious melodies, overlayered synths and wistful lyrics are a delight. The re-working of Kraftwerk's The Model is the real surprise though, taking it in a new warmer, sexier direction with the aid of backing vocals and a thrumming bass, but strangely in keeping with the original.
This album is a reminder of so many 80s bands at their peak - Human League (Dare), Ultravox (Vienna) and Kraftwerk (of course). Zoot Woman however have a style all of their own, and on the strength of this debut album, I for one can't wait to see what will follow.

4.0 out of 5 stars It grows on you...., 21 Dec 2004
Mr. L. Nixon (Notts) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Living In A Magazine (Audio CD)
Okay ,like some other reviews, the album was a bit of a disappointment at first after hearing such good things about the band.
But then the strangest thing happened. I went on holiday - and forgot to take any music except this album which was already in the car. So I played it again... then again and again and before you know it I'm hooked!
Well worth checking out for all the reasons given by other reviewers (who have a far better grasp of the english language than me).
So why only four stars? Well - I'm still not entirely convinced...

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a superb ALBUM - 80s inspired but still credible...somehow!, 27 Oct 2009
This review is from: Living In A Magazine (Audio CD)
As information/reviews about this are sketchy, i'll fill in the blanks. This is Zoot Woman's first ALBUM, which, in my opinion, is by far their best effort, to date (the 3rd one came earlier this year), purely because it's subtle and has variety to keep you guessing. Anyway....
The tracks are;
1. It's automatic
2. Living in a magazine
3. Information first
4. You and I
5. Nobody knows (part one)
6. Nobody knows (part two)
7. The model
8. Jessie
9. Chicago, Detroit, L.A
10. Losing sight
11. Holiday home

it's a range of 80s inspired styles and blending perfectly to create a very accomplished album that you can listen to all the way through, as each song/track seems to flow quite well into the next one. Some tracks are slightly more indie/pop, like the superb cover of kraftwerk's 'the model' (actually sounds more like the orginal than the original!!), and the title track, while others are more straight 80s pop style songs like 'information first' and 'jessie'. Some are chilled instrumental based songs like 'nobody knows' & 'chicago,...'. It opens on an 80s disco tip with the slightly underwhelming 'it's automatic', and ends which the understated 'holiday home', but it is what's inbetween these that needs time, and repeat background listens, to find it's way into your unconcious. It's really quite a quirky one this, but i think it's more listenable than 99% of actual 80s synth-pop, so, ultimately, a worthwhile concept, executed superbly.
9/10.

4.0 out of 5 stars zoot woman oh yes, 1 Oct 2013
This review is from: Living In A Magazine (Audio CD)
all i can say is a great album by a great band early mode with attitude the beats and the droning electronics are fantastic

3.0 out of 5 stars This is ok, 11 Aug 2013
J. McCully - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars The faster songs are better, 2 Nov 2003
Jay M "jay_mc" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Living In A Magazine (Audio CD)
When ZW do their Hall and Oates-esque songs, it just doesn't really grab me. I bought this album on the strength of 'Information First', and for that reason alone, it gets the fourth star.
The title track is also superb. Their cover of Kraftwerk's 'The Model' is absolutely stunning and you should check it out. 'Jessie' is a good 80's-style romantic, synth-pop song. 'Losing Sight' is an elegant, acoustic guitar based lament which shows another side of ZW, another good one too!
But elsewhere, 'Holiday Home' is terrible, and 'Nobody Knows' is very poor fare indeed.
A worthwhile album for any fan of synth music or 80's based pop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Leg warmers!!, 2 May 2001
This review is from: Living In A Magazine (Audio CD)
Actually no. No leg warmers, but what we _do_ have here is some kind of post-modern-ish-80s-retro-human-league/gary-numan... thing. Seriously, this is an incredibly catchy electro-funk piece with some positively delicious distorted synth sounds, around addictive clean electric lead guitar licks and persistant bass, and some seriously kicking percussion.
I never was much of a fan of 80s pop music, but then all the good electro (parliament, cybotron etc.) never was popular enough was it? Nice to hear ppl adding a modern spin to it... Living is a top track, make no mistake.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hits The 80s Spot In Places, Elsewhere Rather Eh, 14 Aug 2001
This review is from: Living In A Magazine (Audio CD)
I picked this up after reading the gushy reviews here, since I've always loved the early 80s/new wave/synthpop sound, and I have to admit I'm a little disappointed with the result.
Now don't get me wrong, some of this is great stuff. "Living In A Magazine" isn't just a great song, it's got the sound, it's got the lyrics, it's spot-on and could have fallen through a time warp from 20 years ago. "Information First" is rather good - in places it sounds like some long lost relic of the sessions for Dolby's "The Flat Earth".
I won't even pick on the cover of "The Model" - in fact, I rather like it, it's a pleasantly different take on the song.
However, as for the rest, I must be missing something - maybe I'm looking too hard for the 80s influences and missing the 2001 bits. Maybe I'm basing my impressions on too narrow a range of 80s artists.
Alternatively, it's either too fake, or not fake enough. Ladytron appeals to me because there's something very knowing and contrived about their strong retro tendencies. At the other extreme, there's bands that ape the 80s in an honest, straightforward, even naive way - and strangely enough, they're mainly American, which is odd when the sound is very determinedly British. I'm thinking of bands like Barcelona, Lifestyle (and other Sean T. Drinkwater-related bands like Karacter and Freezepop), or the synthier moments from the late, lamented Pulsars.
Thus the 3 stars - it's a nice album, but it's not entirely what I expected. When it's good, it's very very good, but the rest of the time, it's pretty forgettable.

5.0 out of 5 stars dude who likes all music but is blatantly Dyslixic says..., 15 Oct 2001
This review is from: Living In A Magazine (Audio CD)
Living in a Magazien is a brilliant and honest album and what wipe's me out is all this 80's nonsence; me being born 30/4/80 spent my formative years in the 90's and im still raging on now, but I never liked 80's pop or VH1-80's pop but this album sounds to me like pure honnest electro pop.. as in electro 'GROOVEY' and has good lyrics with well formd as well as produced tunes, which are easy to get ' mentally ' hold of. Great not only for a 'bedroom boogy' but also a lyrical sing along, which personaly was an unheard of thing for me. So If yor hungry for novle styld music then this mighte 'Plug' that unfilld Quota, Maybee, like all 'uncharterd-ground'the fist listen experiences might need 2-3 plays before yor ears grasp whats going on but I think it's a gem 80's or not

Living In A Magazine
Living In A Magazine by Zoot Woman (Audio CD - 2001)