on 3 January 2003
It depends greatly on how much of an eva fan you are, as to how much you would enjoy this album. When I bought it I was dissappointed, because i tried to compare it to the other Eva Cassidy album that i had - "Songbird". However, "Songbird" and "No Boundaries" are totally different albums. Songbird shows Evas Talent, and shows off how great a voice she has, whereas "No Boundaries" is simply background music. If you are wanting to buy an album which shows off Eva's talent, then buy "Live at blues Alley" or "songbird", as these albums were not created due to popular demand. Songbird was the first album to be released after Eva's death, and so it has all of her best songs on it. Logically, it is the best album. I would recommend that it had a place in every household, as it is, in my opininion, the best album ever! If only Eva was alive today...
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 September 2002
I'm a massive Eva Cassidy fan, so of course I bought this CD. What a thorough disappointment. I can heartily agree with most of the other reviews of this CD. Over-produced versions of instantly forgettable songs, and Eva's voice at times almost straining to be heard. "Natural Woman" is the only track that's even remotely memorable, and even that pales when compared to her other stuff. If you want a new Eva CD, buy "Imagine" - don't buy this!
on 1 September 2002
I bought this CD after thoroughly enjoying all her other releases, but it was a huge disappointment. Everything that made Eva's music stand out from the crowd was destroyed by this CD. She sings half decent pop songs with overworked production that takes away from her raw musical talent. The days of delicate guitar strings and atmospheric vocals that grow through a song and send shivers down the back of your neck are over and are replaced by the dreary norm of the music that fills the charts today. It is worth noting that this album was completed before she died but was not released then, probably because Eva herself was disaoppointed with it. After her death it was released..(not the label all her others albums are published on). The only plus point about this album is that she does show the power and range of her voice, but this can be seen by buying any of her other albums. Her voice, as ever, is perfect, but the songs ..and the production are appalling.
on 22 February 2002
I bought this in great anticipation - another Eva Cassidy album! I love Songbird, Time after Time and Live at Blues Alley but this is a big let down. I don't know where these particular songs came from but they're very ordinary 'in one ear out the other' pop songs. What's more the album is over produced and over arranged with Eva's voice sounding rather thin and harsh and all to often on maximum. There's none of the depth and emotion of songs like 'Rainbow' , 'Autumn Leaves' and 'Time after time'. Frankly if I had heard some of these songs on the radio beforehand I am not sure I'd have recognised that it was her - it could be any wannabe 'Pop Diva'.She had the most wonderful voice and talent but this album does just not do her justice. Better to have a small body of high quality work than to dilute the memory with material like this.
on 1 April 2002
You know you're scraping the bottom of the barrel when you get multiple versions of the same song. Eva's legacy will not be enhanced by this ragbag collection of outtakes and retakes. Anthology it isn't. The record company should be ashamed of themselves for defiling a major talent with this shocking attempt at cashing in.
on 25 August 2005
I agree with the other reviewers that the background music does little to enhance Eva's voice - in fact, in most cases, shields it under loud drums and, yes, overproduction. Her gifted voice, exceptional ear for harmony and creactivity are still apparent here, but the beauty of her falsetto voice, the many tiny inflections in her voice heard in acoustic settings, and, of course, her talents as an arranger - which are all so obvious on the official albums - are missing on most tracks.
Yet this album represents an important step in Eva Cassidy's career. On it are progressive rock songs written as an experiment by Daivd Lourim Christopher for his 'pet project' - which later came to be known as 'Method Actor'; other songs are so-called 'outtakes' from the same sessions. It must be said that the quality of the songs themselves are rather mediocre. One should realise this: Eva was singing for someone else's project - not her own. You might disagree, but I don't believe Eva's heart was truly in this style of music or songs, and she would probably not have chosen to sing them had she been the one to decide (with the exception of 'Natural Woman'). For her, this was an opportunity to record and perform.
The value of 'No Boundaries' lies in that it provides an insight into what Eva Cassidy may have sounded like earlier on in her career. Most significant, though, is that those were the very sessions in which she met someone named Chris Biondo, who would later become as important as any in encouraging and nurturing her talents, and the producer of most of her later works that millions have come to treasure.
And so, with that in mind, I believe that those who are lucky enough to be able to appreciate the history behind these sessions that came to give us Method Actor and No Boundaries will surely enjoy this collection as that of a young singer trying to develop by experimenting with recording. And for those who cannot, well, I hope this review convinces some of you.
In the words of Paul Limbrick: 'For what its worth, is that this is a fine stand alone album and obviously something that Eva willingly participated in. Sure, the music is not in the style with which we associate Eva, but nonetheless, it's still a fine album in its own right and is as important to the Eva Cassidy musical legacy, as the early Quarrymen recordings are to the Beatles and the early Steel Mill recordings are to Bruce Springsteen. Therefore historically, as with the Method Actor album, they should not be overlooked.'
Those who have heard of Eva the perfectionist might agree with me that were she still around this album would most probably not have seen the light of day. Whether this collection of songs should have been released remains open to debate, but it surely has its place in the legacy of Eva Cassidy.
on 6 August 2001
I am confused why so many are trying so hard to limit and categorize a talent that was so diverse and yet so pure. No Boundaries is obviously not the folkish/standards and covers of her previous releases, but it is definitely an awesome set that displays her raw talent, versatility and musical artistry of Eva Cassidy. She shows the same softness we've come to know and love, but also cuts loose and let's you hear why she has been called one of the greatest vocalist ever! From whatever point in her career these recordings were created, they have captured an unfamiliar but enjoyable side of Eva and my hope is that No Boundaries will not be the last of it's kind!
on 2 March 2001
I am sorry to see some low star ratings for this Eva Cassidy CD. I loved it! What a range this wonderful voice had - just awesome, every note had the back of my neck tingling. My only 'complaint' are the repeats of "Natural Woman" and "Little Children" - I would have preferred 2 new tracks, but who of us would not?
on 21 December 2000
From the first time I heard Eva Cassidy's perfect (inadequate description) voice, I was transfixed...that was two years ago ....I thought I had everything she had ever recorded. So when I saw this recent addition to her catalogue...I had to have it. Oh dear. The first thing you notice is thatt is produced on another recored label and by a different team to Eva's other (better) material. No Boundries was recorded in the mid 90's, yet resembles cheap cruise ship entertainment from the mid 80's. Eva Cassidy clearly was a blues and folk vocalist, at home with well thought out lyrics and songs that she understood. This albums contains no such material. And the fact that tracks are repeated to bulk out the record only adds insult to injury.
She was pristine interpreter of songs...(see Songbird) this is cashing in and dropping out stuff. Buy and listen to the other material a million times, and then and only then try No'll kick yourself and feel like you have betrayed a friend.
on 13 October 2005
I have 7 Eva Cassidy CD,s and wanted to add another to my collection. What a disappointment! Her beautiful voice masked by the backing , and the strain in " Emotional Step" was painful to listen to. No wonder she had that surprised look on her face on the back cover ! Probably thinking was that really me ? I can only say thank goodness she met Chris Biondo who set her on the right path to give us what she is now famous for " MAGIC ".
I certainly agree with the other reveiwers .Forget this one !