4.0 out of 5 stars Frenchies - 1, Rost Boeuf - 1
Zero 7 ARE very much like Air - and I kick myself for repeating what everybody else has said.
But, I have more to add: for the first half of the album I reckon they actually top their chilled-out, Frenchie counterparts.
The album's very much like Moon Safari, but with more basslines, beats, twists and turns. The first track is a classic, starting with a great...
Published on 9 May 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars "when I am down you breathe life over me"
Simple Things is the debut studio album from Zero 7.

It's a tragedy that you are more familiar with the name Justin Bieber than of Henry Binns & Sam Hardaker; an elusive duo that dwell at the periphery of fame, sharing a drink or two with Michael Sandison & Marcus Eoin amongst other such elusive pairings. The foursome are having a discussion about whether or...
Published 14 months ago by Adam Finn

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice...but thats it., 12 Nov 2001
This review is from: Simple Things (Audio CD)
I bought this on the strength of Destiny, only to discover that the rest of the album didn't live up to what the single promised. There are some qualtiy tunes to be found here, in particular the vocal tracks - Sophie Baxters breathy vocals on "In the waiting line" sound brilliantly fragile - but overall the album contains nothing that hasnt been done before, and done better, else where.
The vocal tracks, particularly those featuring female guests sound as if they where written using a Morcheeba-by-numbers kit. This is no bad thing, but if you already own the Big Calm, save your hard earned.
The instrumental tracks again are good in their own right, but just make you think of a pale imitation of Airs far superior Moon Safari.
Overall, this is a good album, but thats about it. Its nice background music, but doesnt offer anything that hasnt been done better already.

4.0 out of 5 stars would give 10 stars if i could, 19 May 2006
Beth (East Yorkshire,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simple Things (Audio CD)
Callin this music 'chill out' would be an understatement.

I wish i could explain each track like any other review....but instead im just going to let you judge for yourself...But in the words of the person who bought me the CD (id never heard of the band before) "This is an album you HAVE to have in your CD collection" So so true...

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather safe but dull background music, 10 Jan 2004
This review is from: Simple Things (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the basis of all the rave reviews on Amazon and comparisons inevitably with Air. Since Moon Safari is one of my favourite albums ever I fully expected to like this. However I find it very bland - nothing to offend anyone but nothing special either. The tracks with Sia Furler are better (Destiny) but I don't like those with Mozez at all. I can imagine this being played at various dinner parties across the Uk - the 00's equivalent to Sade!

1.0 out of 5 stars Music, 15 Aug 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Simple Things (Audio CD)
Don't get me wrong, I like ambient music. In fact it makes up the majority of my collection. This album would be best described as "unimaginative" "bland" and "twee". The album is very polished, produced and sickly sweet.
What zero seven really need to do is to push the boundaries a bit more, perhaps introducing a few things that we havn't all heard somewhere before: I can't find anything to recommend it by.
I't will be up for sale secondhand very soon. I can't stand it. Zero out of Seven.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somehow sags under the weight of its own aspirations, 20 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Simple Things (Audio CD)
Top marks to the Brits who recognised the potential market for Gallic ambient seduction soundtracks. Despite its slick production and effortless allure it somehow sags under the weight of its own pretensions. Still; a solid enough backdrop to many a sophisticated soiree.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's good BUT this has been done before, 27 Dec 2001
This review is from: Simple Things (Audio CD)
People are raving about this album, and whilst I have definitely enjoyed it, I couldn't find the 'fresh' and 'original' sounds that people have spoken of.
Most tracks on 'Simple Things' are either virtual replicas of tunes from Air's 'Moon Safari' or smothered by the many stolen sounds.
It's good BUT this has been done before.

Simple Things
Simple Things by Zero 7 (Audio CD - 2009)