Format: Audio CD|Change

on 5 October 2004
If you have listenend to the third and final album of the Spice Girls, "Forever" you will have discovered a whole new Emma. After dumping the Baby Spice image, she became exceptionally atractive and the way she could sing was unbelieveable (do you remember "Let Love lead the Way"?) After hearing that I couldn't wait to get this album and I have to say I was slightly disappointed, it feels like she dumped the new modern image of Emma and has gone right back to Baby Spice. And it just doesn't work when she has to sing on her own, it's not powerfull enough. Which I don't get because she can really sing strongly, she just doesn't show it on this album.
The album is filled with these "I love you" songs and although it's fun to listen too, it's too much of a good thing. The album starts off really strong with lead singles "What Took You So Long" and my personal favorite "Take My Breath Away" but after that a lot of songs which don't really leave much of an impression.
You can probably get it really cheap now so I say go out and buy it, it has a few good tracks on it. Just also be prepared that there might be a few tracks you'd want to skip.
on 1 February 2005
This album, released at roughly the same time as the superbly edgy Spice Girls' swansong effort Forever, makes a good start for Emma, with the eminent 'What Took You So Long' and breezy 'Take My Breath Away' showcasing her sweet voice.
Unfortunately, the rest of the album is not up to scratch. After the strong pilot tracks comes a disappointingly saccharine-weak array of album-filler tracks, including a forgettable cover of 'Sunshine on a Rainy Day.' The only other strong track is the sharp, modern Forever-style 'Been There, Done That' which has the addictive quality of a Darkchild production, though penned by British writers.
The only other exception is Tin Tin Out's memorable 'What I Am.'
The songs aren't bad exactly, but they all carry the kind of empty pop sound that screams RUSHED at you; maybe with a little more time and more ingenuity and meaning, this album would have been better, but the third single release (We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight) failed badly, reaching only number 25.
Emma's new material (Free Me) shows a new direction and has flair and distinctiveness, but this was a disappointingly forgettable effort.
on 21 January 2009
God, save us from the world of Simon Cowell, Pete Waterman tainted and demolished bleeding-hearts plastic gutter trash! We know the musical world has been completely bereft of talent since 1990 but enough of the thoughtless, warped, ugly and plain pointless mashings of other people's songs just because the 'person' squealing and straining them has no clue how to even lip-synch nevermind hum a half-tune. Spice was anything but nice-and only best in a vice, take my advice, when it fist spewed into pointless existence in 1996. So I can't even bring myself to comment any further on toxic guff that tries to belch long past its non-sell by date. Time all of it eroded all over itself and sank into oblivion-though it must be doubtful oblivion wants it either-but it has no choice! If I could give none or minus 1 star, I would!
88 comments|One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse