5.0 out of 5 stars Go Emma
Wow... Emma is definitly a great singer and very talented girl. By it, because is one of the best albuns from 2001.
1. 'What Took You So Long?' - Everything in the place. Just great for first single. (9/10)
2. 'Take My Breath Away' - a little bit girly, but really fantastic and Emma shows that she has a great voice(9/10)
3. 'A World Without You' -...
Published on 4 Jun. 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars Forget the Spice Girls, listen to it for it's own sake...
OK, shes left the Spice Girls behind, fair enough. So what have we here? A collection of pop songs that are generally easy on the ear. It would be a good albulm to have on in the background of a clothes shop. She is a decent singer, fair enough, and the songs are quite tuneful, if perhpas a bit on the " cute " side.
But generally this albulm is very...
Published on 24 April 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Emma, 4 Jun. 2002
This review is from: A Girl Like Me (Audio CD)
3. 'A World Without You' - Remembering the times of '2 Become 1' and 'Too Much'. It would be a massive hit(10/10)
4. 'High On Love' - A bit borring, but nice too (7/10)
5. 'A Girl Like Me' - Pop song, kinda like the times of Spice. Good one (8/10)
6. 'Spell It O.U.T.' - Also Pop, but much better than the previous. Emma shows all of her voice potencial (9/10)
7. 'Sunshine On A Rainy Day' - One of the best cover that I have ever heard. Seems like Madonna's 'Don't Tell Me', but nicer. It would also be a great single (10/10)
8. 'Been There, Done That' - Great R'n'B/pop song. is one of my favourites in the album. (9/10)
9. 'Better Be Careful' - The best Song in the album. Great one... really the top. One Question: Why Emma didn't release this one as a single?(10/10)
10. 'We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight' - Great up-beat song and also one of the best in the album. Is not better than the single version. (album version- 9/10; single version- 10/10)
11. 'She Was A Friend Of Mine' - Cool one, but out of the sound of the rest of the album (8/10)
12. 'What I Am' - Nice one, but it shouldn't be on the album, because is the 2º cover and it's not very cool. (6/10)
Well, this album is one of the best ever, so don't waste time and order it now!! You won't be dissapointed, for sure.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Undeniably Best Solo Spice Record...for now at least., 21 April 2001
This review is from: A Girl Like Me (Audio CD)
To be honest, Emma was probably my least favorite Spice Girl just because she wasn't "interesting" enough. But with this album I say the heck with interesting and discovered that she is now my new favorite Spice Girl. While I like them as a group (yes I think Forever is a work of art), both of the Mel's albums to me kind of fell short of anything great (yeah I think Mel C's album is kind of stale..I'm american so of course I have a different musical taste). I only listen to them every so often and so I had a bad feeling when Emma's album was announced. But just a few days ago when I downloaded a few of her songs I had to order this album..plus I realized this spice definitely has a promising solo career ahead of her. If she can't conquer America then no solo spice can. Her songs are great. I mean she has such a nice voice and she covers all facets of music. She's basically what the Spice Girls are but as a solo artist instead. If you don't buy this album, not only are you not a good spice fan, but your denying yourself a really great musical experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars EMMA BUNTON FROM BABY TO MATURE POP DIVA, 19 April 2001
James Cavaliere (No. Massapequa, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Girl Like Me (Audio CD)
I'm totally such a big fan of Emma Bunton. I couldn't wait to get her new album. The CD is a perfect pure pop pleasure. She has such a light melodic goregous voice. This CD outshines past spice girls CD's including the new R/B flavored Forever. This CD has better songs and Emma wrote every track on the album. The album features more live instrumentation and acoustic guitar such as in songs like the new #1 single "What Took You So Long", "Take My Breath Away", "High On Love", Sunshine On A Rainy Day" "Better Be Careful" And past smash "What I Am". Also theres beautiful ballads like "A World Without You" And "Spell It Out". Theres upbeat R&B/Dance stuff like "Been There, Done That" and "She Was A Friend Of Mine". Overall this is such a fun and touching album to listen to over and over again. You'll like all the songs and different styles like Pop, Rock and R&B. Go Emma!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars She takes my breath away, 29 April 2001
david@poponline.co.uk (Hornchurch, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Girl Like Me (Audio CD)
Emma Bunton is the fourth Spice Girl to release a solo album, but can she follow in their footsteps to solo stardom? The answer is a very BIG yes! 'A Girl Like Me' sees Emma take in a number of musical genres, including pop, R&B, dance and also an acoustic vibe on a couple of tracks. Among the 12 tracks are the no.1 single, 'What Took You So Long?', her no.2 collaboration with Tin Tin Out, 'What I Am', and the extremely sentimental, 'Take My Breath Away', which Emma says is about her long-term boyfriend, Jade from UK R&B group, Damage. Other hilights on the CD include her cover of Zoe's 1991 classic, 'Sunshine On A Rainy Day' (a song that is destined to be a single, and which is so uplifting that you can't help but jump up and down in the air - or is that just me??), and the rather feisty 'n' funky title track, 'A Girl Like Me', on which she warns us not to '*!!*' with her - could a duet with Eminem be on the cards?? All in all it's a well rounded solo debut - to put it in a nutshell: good songs sang well.. songs as nice as the lady herself - and I should know, as I met her last week!! Just as good as 'Hot' and 'Northern Star' - if not better!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bye Bye Baby!, 10 July 2002
This review is from: A Girl Like Me (Audio CD)
Well well, it is the end of cute Baby Spice and hello to mature grown up Emma Bunton. With her debut solo album emma shows us what she is made of!
The album has some great tracks that are all totally different in style, the best being: What Took You So Long?, What I Am, Take My Breath Away, We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight, A Girl Like Me and A World Without You.
The rest lack that sort of "punch" to make you want to keep listening to them!
It debuted at #4 and it's shame Virgin dropped her as with better promotion this album could have been #1. Let's hope with her next album she is!
A must for Spice and pop fans alike!

4.0 out of 5 stars A great album done by a sweet girl!, 8 May 2001
This review is from: A Girl Like Me (Audio CD)
This is a great solo-debut album from Emma Bunton, or as some of you prefer to call her, Baby Spice. Her album is the one that's most similar the Spice Girls' albums. The album starts with her "first official" solo-single, "What Took You So Long". This is, in my opinion, along with "We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight" the best song of the album. It's catchy, It feels like summer!!! Great vocals by Emma! "We're Not Gonna Sleep Tonight" is a summer-song aswell, with latin-influences and it sure goes into your head and stays there! To give more critisism, her voice doesn't carry her all the way, she has no power in her voice in some songs. So my opinion is that she should sing songs that fit her voice! Anyway enough of that, in short the album is really great and it's a must in your CD-collection! Especially if you're a Spice-fan!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Spice Girl proves she can do it on her own., 28 Oct. 2001
This review is from: A Girl Like Me (Audio CD)
This is one of the albums I never get tired of listening to. In a way Emma's solo music is different from the Spice Girls music. Emma's is nice and laid back, whilst the Spice Girl's is up beat. My favourite track on the album is Spell It O.U.T, because of it's mix of pop and R&B. All the songs on the album are a mix of pop and R&B too. I think that all the songs on Emma's brilliant album will be top ten hits. This Spice Girl proves she can do it on her own!

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby's first step solo, 8 April 2001
This review is from: A Girl Like Me (Audio CD)
Emma 'Baby Spice Binton's solo album has been eagerly waited for by all the young girls and older boys who feel inlove with her voice and sound during the years of the Spice Girls. After the success of the two mels solo efforts, Emma wants to prove she is can keep up with the best of them. She has shown she can with the success of the first single from her album, 'What took you so long?', which is not, as many critics would like to say, about why she took so long to release her solo efforts, but about a male taking too long. Having pulled Hear'say kicking a screaming from the number 1 slot, Baby Spice has told everyone she will go on and be a solo success. If this carrieson, she will ober take melanie c's lead as the most successful solo spice. Overall, this album is a treat for all the ageing spice girls fans who long for the glory days of pop. Every song is pure baby, mainly because she co-wrote all this album. This album is a must for all spice girls fans and also for any closet fans, and new fans of the 'littlest' spice. Baby has grown up, and produced an mature sound which will please all pop fans. A very good investment. (And before you ask, Baby was my favorite in the Spice Girls. Pink is a must!)

4.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise, 19 April 2001
This review is from: A Girl Like Me (Audio CD)
I have to admit that I was sceptical about the quality of this album before I bought it, if Mel B's effort was anything to go by it would seem that the Spice Girls had lost their appeal. I was, however, proven completely wrong. At the moment the only known songs are the excellent 'What took you so long' and 'What I Am', the latter of which includes a catchy guitar solo towards the end. There are no weak, filler songs on this album and there are many single worthy ones, especially 'Been There Done That' and 'A Girl Like Me', both of which are up-tempo numbers. There are two fine covers, which, although aren't adventurous remixes, are sung extremely well. I didn't give this 5 stars because if listened to continuously Emma's soft, high voice can become slightly monotomous and some of songs sound reminicient of other pop acts around at the moment. Overall, 'A Girl Like Me' is an above average pop album and proves that Miss Bunton excells with or without the backing of the Spice Girls. It gets a definate thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'What Took You So Long' to release such a fantastic album?, 27 April 2001
This review is from: A Girl Like Me (Audio CD)
I bought Emma's album on the first day and have listened to it many times since, so I feel I am writing this review with an informed opinion. The album contains a mixture of sound and is very pleasing on the ear. I think Emma's angelic voice is best suited to ballads and World Without You is the best track on the album followed by Take My Breath Away, which has a tune and lyrics that stay with you after a few listens. The title track A Girl Like Me is an upbeat song and proves she can hold the higher notes as well. Been There, Done That is a fantastic R'n B style track which would do well if it was released as a single. There is also a pleasant surprise about the track What I Am she recorded with Tin Tin Out, as the last part of the song has been changed which is different to the single version.
Emma will definitely be successful as a solo artist if she carries on combining her excellent writing skills with her vocal performances. This album is worth a listen and I would definitely recommend it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

A Girl Like Me
A Girl Like Me by Emma Bunton (Audio CD - 2001)