5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic stuff
Exciter is very different from previous albums which is probably why some fans don't like it, but life would be boring if DM just stayed writing the same songs in the same style of SOFAD and Ultra (even though they are great). DM don't ever really come under a music category anyway so it's impossible they can stick to one style like the pop of Violator or rock of...
Published on 21 May 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Give Exciter A Chance
I think some of the comments here are a little harsh. OK, so "Exicter" will never live up to it's title and be the best album in the Depeche Mode stable, but it does include some quality material, "Dream On", "I Feel Loved", "Goodnight Lovers", even "Easy Tiger" has it's moments.
I think the main problem here was the anticipation of us DM fans around the world...
Published on 6 Oct 2005 by Coincidence Vs Fate

4.0 out of 5 stars A New Direction?, 13 Jun 2001
This review is from: Exciter (Audio CD)
To me there are numerous highlights on "Exiter". I must say though that it has surprised me that the first single was "Dream On" cos' there's a lot of other opportunities. I think "The Sweetest Condition" would have been a much better choice for a first single - this song has a very strong melody and brilliant lyrics.
Other single choices should be "The Dead of Night" - I don't understand why a lot of fans think it's bad. Serious lyrics about sick relationsships between stars (movie- rock or what ever) and their fans.
"I Am You" - Another song with brilliant lyrics and it also has a strong melody.
"Comatose" - I really like when Martin delivers this strange combination. A beautiful vocal, stange, spooky instrumentation and great lyrics.
"When the body speaks" - would have been a bold move for a singlerelease. I actually think it's better than "Dream On".
I don't understand why the next released single will be "I Feel Loved". It's actually the only song I don't like from this album...but that's my oppinion! I think it sounds way too mainstream!
All in all: this album is more subtle than previous DM-albums and there are no rock'n roll boosting songs here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back with a vengance, 15 May 2001
This review is from: Exciter (Audio CD)
Depeche mode are back after 4 years with there new studio album. The group seem to have undergone some drastic changes with there music and it reflects in this album a more easier listening experimce than previous projects Dave Gahn is in fine voice and Martyn Gores song writing is well up to scratch. Thirteen well crafted songs but no classics in this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Morose Music from the Depeche Mode, 20 May 2001
This review is from: Exciter (Audio CD)
Frankly very disappointed with this album, whoever will say that it's ground-breaking opening up a new era for Depeche Mode must be mad. It is the worst Depeche Mode album I have ever listened to. This band had it's peak with albums such as the classic 'Violator', since then disappointingly for me it's all gone very 'Morose', with darker noises and lyrics than I have heard from any band being put to what is a psuedo-synth/rock backing....If you liked everything up and including Violator....do not buy this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Basildon lads showing their age?, 14 July 2001
This review is from: Exciter (Audio CD)
I thought the album was excellent in places with some adventurous tunes and lyrics but cant help thinking it could have been better. For me Ultra was the boys best effort to date and when i bought Exciter i set my sights too high perhaps. Nevertheless Exciter confirmed my beliefs that Depeche Mode are still one of the last few remaining class acts and are maturing musically all the time. Lets have more albums and dont leave it so long lads!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Where's Alan?, 23 Feb 2003
John David Charles Hilton "Creative spark...." (Redcliffe, Bristol United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Exciter (Audio CD)
This is not a good record. Having played the thing three times, I know I never want to hear it again. The tunes are weak, the lyrics banal. "Goodnight Lovers" contains probably the worst fake gospel chorus I have ever heard. But the main problem is the arrangements. They are an awful mess. As much as non functioning member Andrew Fletcher would like to deny it, this album screams "Where's Alan?". He was the band's musician. He did all those wonderful arrangements on the classic albums. He isn't here, and boy does it show. The band's previous album, the also Alan-less "Ultra", was a very poor man's "Songs of Faith and Devotion". This isn't. It's just crap. Get Alan back or give it a rest guys.

3.0 out of 5 stars love, love, love., 10 Nov 2006
This review is from: Exciter (Audio CD)
The now veteran act finally return after a good four years of absence with a slightly more relaxed offering that calms the intensity that ran through Ultra. Sadly, it hasn't a thing on the aforementioned as all sense of depth and purpose is watered down but shines independently through the opening track `Dream On', modern vampire anthem `The Dead of Night' and the booming nightclub track. `I Feel Loved'.

Layered within any sound imaginable, the sound is polished, smooth, deep, professional and the very heart of them - since starting they have given a vast array of sounds from whatever latest equipment is on offer. It is an ambient mix meant for the tired return from a club. Background music to flake to (so maybe changing the gear down was intentional) and the sounds underline this.

The theme throughout the album is love: "Can you feel a little love?", "if you've suffered in love..." (Free) and titled "I Feel Loved" are examples and illustrate that it is still the primary topic that runs through Dave Gahan's musical persona.

4.0 out of 5 stars awesome!, 1 July 2001
This review is from: Exciter (Audio CD)
this is one cd that will be in my cd player for a long time. Most tracks are excellent. I gave it only four stars because their Ultra album is better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Barely half as good as what went before..A real struggle, 16 July 2004
Mr. S. R. Dhain "shekhardhain" (leicester) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Exciter (Audio CD)
I've owned this album since release date (along with lord knows how many other DM CD'S, mixes et al), and ...It's like toast with butter
In other words, it's something I ONLY REACH FOR to remind me that they still exist as a functioning unit, which let's face it, isn't often these days. ALAN R WILDER was a HUGE contributing force to their sonic dynamism, and since he's been gone? Well..
The problem is that:-
a) he cast a big shadow (tim simenon did a stellar job on ultra)
b) they sound a little like old men "going through the motions" on some of the tracks (take your pick)
Let's face facts, they're no longer even in their thirties, and before anyone snipes, UNLESS THEY BECOME ALL OUT ROCKERS, then the genre of music to which they belong will mean - SHOULD MEAN- more downtempo stuff.
To finish, I can recall one of Alan's final comments after leaving the band, along the lines of (I'm tryign to remember this from the biog on the band):-
"to me, being in a gang after a certain age doesn't feel right...being on stage in your forties is a bit embarrasing"
Make of that what you will.
A serious rethink is needed here..Let's hope the next one is a radical departure from this cringemaking crud

ARRAY(0xabf12a20)

Exciter
Exciter by Depeche Mode (Audio CD - 2001)