5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Rock every home should have one
From what is in my opinion one of the best rock instrumentals of all time,Hocus Pocus opens an album which captures the crazy world of Focus.I dare you not to reach for your air guitar while this one rocks your living room! At times moody,at times a little crazy,but at all times,a band which was unquestionably superb in every track executed.
Published on 20 Jun 2001 by Trevor Hunt

3.0 out of 5 stars A cd of two halves
The first half of this album is baroque Euro prog. 'Hocus Pocus' and 'Sylvia' are cracking songs, but some of the other stuff sounds a bit turgid. From track 11 (Mother Focus) onward, however, there is a definite American jazz-rock influence and the band sound all the better for it.
Published 6 months ago by John F

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Rock every home should have one, 20 Jun 2001

4.0 out of 5 stars Instrumental beauty, 2 Jan 2003
Andy Millward (Tiptree, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Hocus Pocus: The Best Of Focus (Audio CD)
Having recently seen Thijs van Leer perform a set of Focus greatest hits with a new band, it was interesting to go back to the original interpretations. And make no mistake, this is an album filled with beautiful guitar, organ and flute instrumental music, plus a bit of Thijs's usual falsetto moaning, yodelling and scat singing.
Was it prog rock? That seems a bland description for a band that used its classical musical upbringing to develop new classics. The funky flute seems as fresh today as in the early 70s, though Akkerman's guitar licks sound a little cliched nowadays. Perhaps he's been even more influential than we already knew!
If you're a stranger to Focus, this a great starting point. Buy and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Music EVER!!!, 12 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Hocus Pocus: The Best Of Focus (Audio CD)
This truly is the musical experience of a lifetime!You will never here music as gorgeous as this!They have got the best guitarist,drummer,vocalist,flutist,bassist!Anyone who says there is a better guitarist than Jan Akerrman is crazy!Just listen to the U.S version of Hocus Pocus on this album and be blown away!This really is the best music I have ever heard and probably ever will!Everyone should own this compilation album along with all their other albums!A definate must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars My one true love!, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: Hocus Pocus: The Best Of Focus (Audio CD)
Music brings deep memories back to the surface, this brings back such good ones, it brings me back to a time with my one true love, I lost her through my own stupidity, but at least this music can bring back the memories of those times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prog Rocks!, 18 Oct 2012
This review is from: Hocus Pocus: The Best Of Focus (Audio CD)
I thought, that I was pretty familiar with most Rock/Prog Rock/Folk Rock groups, most things Prog and Folk Rock in fact, yet I had never acquired, for my own collection, anything from FOCUS - how amiss of me :-) - and I was in for a treat!

I decided to dunk my toe with HOCUS POCUS: THE BEST OF FOCUS, my starting points being a love of;- Rock, Metal, Folk Rock, Prog Rock, Classical, Blues et al.

According to other reviewers it seemed that most Prog Rock fans really rate FOCUS. I had, of course heard the likes of the Tullesque 'HOUSE of THE KING' by Jan Akkerman and the brilliantly witty, driving, 'HOCUS POCUS' with it's multi-ranging yodeled vocal middle eights and sideline 'scatting' from Mr. Van Leer and that was the sum total of my 'appreciation' of FOCUS - or so I thought. As a point of note the latter Track may be 'an acquired taste' for some, yet it makes me smile - every time - to hear that hard hitting, driving, 1970's Guitar based Rock under, ancient, Folk based, vocal techniques. I am surprised to say that even my girlfriend loves the, in the main, instrumental tracks, of this album, with comments such as;- 'it has a great groove', 'it's funky - wow listen to that!'.....

.....Personally, this album took me awhile to 'get into' yet as with most enduring musical loves of mine, perseverance is well worthwhile - it was the same for me, many, many years ago with some of Zep's (et al's.) work, and such has remained a favourite of mine for 30-40 years - this album is like a treasure chest, in that the deeper you dig the more treasure you find, every time I listen to the Tracks within, I hear more and more, like taking another new journey with the same music, depth, craftsmanship, feeling, courage, innovation - just superb!

The Bass part on 'ANONYMUS' is superb (Martijn Dresden), as is the guitar solo (Jan Akkerman) - very evocative, taking me on a journey back to times and places, from Rock folklore that I had, until now, yet to visit...and the intro (guitar and vocals) to 'TOMMY' is just haunting - wow!

This Album makes me want to dust of my old Guitar - maybe take up the Flute - and learn, what for me are 'new' songs and ways of making music!

....When I re-discovered 'SYLVIA', which I must have heard before, whilst listening to the radio many, many years ago, as a small boy (my mum always had such music playing in the background) and I, rather embarrassingly realised that, with some 'classical' training under my belt (that element of my musical 'education' didn't last long!), I had, for many years, been playing, very naively, as a semi-acoustic type 'warmup', something akin to the intro chord sequence from 'SYLVIA' and there was I thinking that I was being original!! (how the mind can play tricks on one as loved music is never truly forgotten!).

Hocus Pocus as an Album, is, in many ways, and at first unbeknownst to me, a real homecoming, musically speaking, it has it all, heavy Guitars, haunting Guitars, Bass lines to die for, Hammond Organ/Keyboards loaded with 'funk', out-there, acrobatic vocal visitations (with unbelievable range), haunting, rasping, breathy Flute solos, Prog Rock, Folk Rock, Lounge Rock, elements of Trad. Folk, tempo changes etc. etc.......it has it all.

1970's nostalgia by the bucket-load - superb!

4.0 out of 5 stars My husband loves it, but... !, 18 July 2003
J. Pennington "chumbe2002" (Royaume Uni) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hocus Pocus: The Best Of Focus (Audio CD)
This is one of those albums that you either rave about, or dislike. My husband, who is seriously into popular music of all types, thinks it's fantastic. And I have to agree that the instrumental bits are great - some of them build to a real crescendo/climax. The only problem for me is the "yodelling" style of singing - it's a bit much for me...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music ..must listen!, 14 April 2014
A. Gillespie (UK) - See all my reviews
Great to hear these Focus classics again...my vinyl versions now pretty scratched up so pristine digital versions a real pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars great!, 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: Hocus Pocus: The Best Of Focus (Audio CD)
found this band whilst browsing youtube, never knew them before, proper music much better than a lot of big name rock bands.

5.0 out of 5 stars sturdy music for sturdy beardsters., 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: Hocus Pocus: The Best Of Focus (Audio CD)
Hocus pocus, House of the king and sylvia are all on here. you can get your yodel on and generally enjoy freaking out to this cd. a favourite in our household.

3.0 out of 5 stars A cd of two halves, 31 Jan 2014
John F (Staffordshire) - See all my reviews

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Hocus Pocus: The Best Of Focus
Hocus Pocus: The Best Of Focus by Focus (Audio CD - 2001)