5.0 out of 5 stars FUNNY & GENTLE
The story centers around a recently widowed lady called Grace - Brenda Blethyn - Who finds out that her stately home was mortgaged to the hilt by her late husband! Unfortunately when the will is read, it works out that her husband was actually in considerable debt, and as a result she stands to lose her beloved home!

Cue a very funny film, and the hilarious...
Published on 6 Oct. 2007 by D. G. Parrott

3.0 out of 5 stars average
I heard good reviews for this film but was quite disappointed as it was slow and lacked substance. I kinda liked the basic idea but felt that it could have been expanded on to make a really great and interesting film. There were far too many inconsistencies (which even an amateur connoisseur will have spotted a mile and a half off) which indicated a severe lack of...
Published 15 months ago by dancer

5.0 out of 5 stars FUNNY & GENTLE, 6 Oct. 2007
D. G. Parrott "Big Bald Bugger" (Out There!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saving Grace [2000] [DVD] (DVD)

Cue a very funny film, and the hilarious scheme which Grace becomes involved to raise money to pay off her late husbands debts, and save her home. Kudos to Craig Ferguson - who plays Grace's pot-smoking gardener - and also to Tcheky Karyo who plays a drug baron. Bill Bailey has a small part too, as a small time dealer along with Jamie Foreman who plays Karyo's minder.

But, in my opinion Martin Clunes is brilliant as the local cannabis smoking GP Doc Martin!

This is a very funny film, but gentle with it - Filmed on location in Cornwall, in and around Port Isaac.

The film spawned a sequel, called 'Doc Martin' to explain how he became a GP in Cornwall - Ironically, its now a TV series, but alas the Doc of the series, is not as endearing as the Doc of the movie!

Get this film, you wont regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving Grace - a really funny film, 16 Oct. 2006
D. Fishwick "dfishwick" (Preston, Lancs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saving Grace [2000] [DVD] (DVD)
I first saw this film in Melbourne, and I loved it as it was just so brilliantly daft, and yet so almost plausible. I had to get myself a copy so that I could share it's lunacy with my family, and I am pleased to say that my wife also loves the film, which is something of a rarity as we don't normally share the same taste in films.

You can't really lose with any film starring the delightful Brenda Blethyn, and this one just reinforces that view.

If you have not seen the film, then buy a copy - you won't regret it at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Naming Grace, 7 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Saving Grace [2000] [DVD] (DVD)
What was good about this film. Well I guess you could say the begining the end and every second in between. There are some fabulous performances. In one scene the old bill question two shop keepers. My partner and I where actually crying with laughter. We actually paused the DVD till it wore off. There are some fab heart warming moments and great gag's. ferguson, clunes and co. made up a wonderfull cast But Brenda Blethyn was as per ususal wonderfull..... My Daughter is named grace. Im sure the impression this film left had something to do with that. Buy this film and regret £0 pounds and 00.0 pence of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderfully British film - watchable again and again., 28 Aug. 2006
A. Keable "Mandy" (Newbury, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saving Grace [2000] [DVD] (DVD)
I think this will go up there in my top ten of my absolute favourites. What a fantastic cast - we bought it last week and have sat through it three times in three days as two couples have visited our house have also laughed their socks off at it. We didn't mind watching it again one bit. Great feel good movie - one little tip - when Grace goes to see Matthew in the garden when she realises she has money troubles and Matthew is pulling out an old bike from the pond - have a listen to the song he is singing - you have to listen carefully or you'll miss it!

You pick up more little funny bits upon watching again and again. Thank you to the cast for such a wonderful peice of film that will be watched again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the funniest films I've seen in a long time!, 7 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Saving Grace [2000] [DVD] (DVD)
I first saw this film a few months ago but was so taken by it that I went out and bought the soundtrack (which is excellent, by the way) and the book!
It's a really funny film, very smart and clever. Brenda Blethyn is superb and thoroughly believable in the role of Grace, the marijuana growing widow (!), but the other actors/actresses are all excellent too, with Leslie Phillips needing a mention simply because, well, he's Leslie Phillips.
Go see this film - you'll be laughing out loud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud riot, 26 July 2004
H. Doherty "Movie maven" (Wenatchee, Washington United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Saving Grace [2000] [DVD] (DVD)
The first time I watched this movie, I wanted it on DVD. Very few movies get that type of reaction out of me. Since then I've watched it several times and never get tired of the laughs.

5.0 out of 5 stars SMOKING!, 7 Dec. 2006
This review is from: Saving Grace [2000] [DVD] (DVD)
Living in the west country I could well believe this all to be true! A fantastic film with laughter throughout. My favourite film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic!, 25 Feb. 2002
djgobs@hotmail.com (Aberystwyth, Wales, UK.) - See all my reviews
This film is a brilliant British comedy which will appeal to anyone simply because of its heartwarming storyline and wonderful cast, made up of both industry legends (notably Brenda Blethyn and an excellently cast Leslie Phillips of "ding dong" fame), and relative newcomers. Clunes is also great as the village doctor, but I wish his part was a little bigger.
Although predominantly based on a plot of marijuana cultivation and consumption (anyone who smokes/has smoked pot will find it particularly enjoyable!), this film is great because it not only shows the positive/negative aspects of cultivation, but also encompasses so many other themes - friendship, love, community spirit, and of course getting stoned and having a great time. A must-see, if not a must-buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another British comedy classic!!, 19 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
This is a must see for all British movie lovers. Brenda Blethyn plays the newly widowed Grace Trevethyn, whose husband has left behind huge debts and a mistress. Grace, being a very keen and talented gardener, decides to turn her hand to growing cannabis with a little bit of help from her scottish groundsman. However, it all gets a bit messy when she tries to land a massive drug deal, having never even as much as paid her electricity bill before (her husband did all that kind of stuff), never mind having dealed with innercity drugs barons and millions of pounds worth of an illegal substance. You have to see this movie, just for the kellogs moment with two elderly women in Grace's village. It has a brilliant cast - Martin Clune's plays the doctor in the village really well, and I guarantee you that the last 20 minutes of this film will have you rolling on the floor. The ending is GREAT!!! I don't know why this movie was not a bigger hit when it was released to the cinema.

5.0 out of 5 stars Puts a smile on my face whenever I think of this film...., 17 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Saving Grace [2000] [DVD] (DVD)
Grace is a person that drifts harmlessly through life.. We all know them... some of us ARE them... It's wonderful to see the little people grow through adversity, which is precisely what this film is all about. Found it so funny the Asthma inhaler had to come out due to excess laughter leading to coughing, spluttering and wheezing. I would sincerely advise a good pee break just before the starting credits or your mums couch would be fit for the skip by the rolling end credits. Ok so it's no 'Bond film' but close the curtains, grab a bevvie and let down your guard long enough to watch a lovely little film. Love it!

Saving Grace [2000] [DVD]
Saving Grace [2000] [DVD] by Nigel Cole (DVD - 2002)