5.0 out of 5 stars it is very relaxing and fun to listen to.
Published on 10 July 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Little disappointed
I have their previous titles and had thought that this might contain more new material but it doesn't just remixes so I was somewhat disappointed, the music is excellent and I would recommend getting their earlier stuff.
Published on 15 Oct 2010 by C. D. Daniel

5.0 out of 5 stars it is very relaxing and fun to listen to., 10 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Solace [Us Import] (Audio CD)
I first heard of Mandalay thru the Café Del Mar CDs and I really enjoyed their songs. So I thought it might be something similar to the style on Café Del Mar. It wasn't actually. It was better in my opinion. It sounds like funk sometimes or fusion but the whole thing could be categorized as acid jazz too. All of you out there who knows what I'm talking about should have one of the Mandalay cds. Could be especially this one. It really is some good, relaxing thing!

1.0 out of 5 stars Bought from Zoverstocks, 19 April 2013
This review is from: Solace [Us Import] (Audio CD)
Discs described as 'Used - Very Good'. Jewel case cracked. Disc 1 would not play past Track 5 - a number of deep scratches on disc. First contact fine - courteous email, they sent free post details to return disc. Returned disc, since when have sent 3 emails without response. They are plausible villains. They are still advertising 'Solace'. Caveat emptor. Overall, zoverstocks are rubbish.

3.0 out of 5 stars Little disappointed, 15 Oct 2010
C. D. Daniel (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Madonna's favourite band - high praise indeed., 8 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Solace [Us Import] (Audio CD)
At first I found Mandalay a bit underwhelming - but like all the best albums they grow on you.
I generally prefer upbeat music but Mandalay is the antithesis of this - minimalist, low-key and understated. It all depends how you listen to it. This is not pop music to dance to but a stylish fusion of trip-hop/ambience/female vocals that is more suired to when you are relaxing or also doing something else - like artwork etc. - ie. creatively inspiring.
Lead singer Nicola's relentlessly 'Larry the lamb' quivering voice may irritate at first but soon becomes beautifully intoxicating and other singers become plain in comparison.
The instrumentation is superbly subtle and inventive. I can hear many influences ranging from the Blue Nile-esque minimalist piano and string arrangements to early J.J./Jan Johnston vocals. The delicate vocals also invite comparisons to Naimee Coleman, Santessa, Idha and Elizabeth Frazer of Cockteau Twins fame - If you like Mandalay then check these artists out.
This is famously quoted as Madonnn's favourite band - I can see why - I like some of Madonna's subtler 'Ray of light' material but it can't touch Mandalay for shear exquisite class.

Solace [Us Import]
Solace [Us Import] by Mandalay (Audio CD - 2001)