Format: DVDChange

on 10 September 2001
Yes, they're here! Your life can now be considered complete; all thirteen episodes of the classic series Fingerbobs have finally arrived on DVD. Produced in the early 'Seventies, Fingerbobs was designed to demonstrate to pre-school children concepts such as softness and prickliness. Its presenter,Yoffy, was played by the Canadian Rick Jones, an ex-Play School presenter with a wonderfully calming voice. Each week, his expressive hands brought life to a whole menagerie of paper animals, including Fingermouse, Tortoise and Gulliver the seagull. They were meant to represent speed, slowness and flight respectively, and would collect various objects to help Yoffy tell a story. On a technical level, the picture quality is very good; the 16mm film prints bely their thirty years age and the transfer onto DVD is sharp. This disc is designed to appeal to twenty- and thirty-somethings wishing to "relieve their wasted youth". Extras include a Fingerbob version of the Fast Show - "Great, that sounds like a cow mooing" - and a text screen of information that features a few double entedres. That said, I'm sure that the toddlers of today will love this as much as their parents did before them.
11 comment45 of 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 April 2008
This is a fantastic programme to entertain pre-school children. It helps them to develop their own fantasy play and imaginations. The presentation is uncomplicated, gentle and unpatronising.

Ideal for parents to involve themselves whilst watching with their children. The elements of high quality programmes such as this is sadly lacking in the modern children's tv listings.

The 'low budget' emphasises the beautiful simplicity and lack of unnecessary sophistication that is so often forced upon small childrens' minds these days.

Instead of parents being compelled to purchase commecial merchandise everytime they enter a Woolworth's store, here is a show where children can have stimulating creative activities as a follow up by making their own fingerpuppets.

The presenter, Rick Jones, is absolutely superb. His gentle understated voice, and interaction with the puppets is a joy to behold. Watching him again after so many years (as a late 60s child Fingerbobs was regular viewing before I went to school) filled me with a warmth and nostalgia that comes back every time I watch it again.

Without so many reviews, the average rating this show is getting is not currently representative of its true quality. Please believe me, it's way, way up there along the other classic shows for small children of this era.

Oh, and my 14 month old baby simply loves it :-).
on 15 April 2009
I live in Mexico and although I had no previous knowledge of the Fingerbob's series, after a short preview of one chapter at a well known Flash video repository online, I decided it may be worth to give it a try.

I have a small son, age three, and the results while watching the show with him were quite unexpected. I am talking here about a kid used to watch Mister Maker hiperactive style, and totally alien to the English language.

Surprisingly he got easily involved with Finger Mouse and his friends. He even tries to sing the songs, -but obviously with a very personal invented languaje :)-.

The interesting thing here is that he just likes the first half of the show, that is, where the finger puppets interact. When the animated stories made with the collected material begin, he gets up and starts to wander around or asks for another episode.

Fingerbob's charachters are so easy to make, I even got some color construction paper and made two of the characters (for me it was easier to improvise instead of following the intstructions from our 21" tv set) to play with my son while making our own stories.
on 4 August 2003
Fingerbobs is one of 'those' programmes. Created by the Cole couple, the late legends of the classic childrens tv scene. The show although created in 1971 was repeated many times, and this video shows all the wonders of the Michael Cole & Joanne Cole creativity. A show so blatantly simple, it was a work of genius. "The simplest things are usually the best." Well this one was. Complete with Rick Jones as Yoffy: Fingermouse, Gulliver, Scampi & Flash were all accompanied by their own simple songs, and all the stories showed the friends helping each other with humour too. Fingerbobs is a REAL classic. The music shop episode was the best in my opinion. The show was a See-Saw veteran repeated during the 80s. SUPERB ******
on 17 September 2015
I have been recently revisiting my infant television memories - some things stand out clearer than others. I have strong memories of Fingerbobs, and watching the opening credits, with the simple yet beguiling song of, 'Yoffy lifts a finger, and a mouse is there ; Yoffy lifts another, and a seagull takes the air,...' it cast its instant spell.

Other reviewers have rightly noted how economical this show was, its all shot in one small set, illustrated with mostly cardboard and paper painted scenery, and played with simple hand-puppets of paper and Ping-Pong-ball. Rick Jones tells the stories with his talented hand performances and hirsuit smile and twinkling eyes, whilst the action is accompanied with regular and hummable little tunes.

I tend to think that this could only have been made in the nineteen-sixties, but maybe that's just me, there is something right and perfect about this incredibly efficient (cheap) production, I watched it a lot in my infancy and it has stayed in my mind ever since, so it must have been compelling in the way it told its simple yet instructive stories with its cleverly diverse set of characters.
VINE VOICEon 25 January 2010
I remember watching Fingerbobs at age 7 and it all seemed to make perfect sense at that time. Watching this DVD of the series made me realise how basic TV was in those days and how strange it was too. Like other classic series, only 13 episodes were made (it felt like there were many more).
As an aside, the makers of this show also gave us the other cult favourite, Bod.
on 24 March 2015
Very very popular with my (less than) 2 year old. He picked up the songs and character names quickly and I could see from his recall that the stories were memorable for him.

Stones, feathers, bricks - it has drawn his attention to these objects in real life. The most memorable part for me, from my childhood, was the crow trying to drink water from a jug and I must say that scene didn't disappoint.

It's for curious minds - young and old alike. For my part, I like to watch carefully from scene to scene whether Yoffy looks more or less stoned than in the last when he smiles. I love Rick Jones's voice - his tone, pace and his clarity are perfect and calming - and the fact that he was 32 at the time but looked older doesn't bother my child even if it causes an issue for one or two other reviewers, as I think it makes him a little more magical and all-knowing to a young child. Beautiful viewing and a healthy pace.
on 16 March 2001
I was lying in bed a while ago thinking about the days when the screen was ruled by quality childrens tv programs, unlike the tweenies and teletubbies. And I remember FINGERBOBS possibly the scariest, but most intriguing program ever made! I had to buy the video and was not disappointed! a fantastic reminder of a fantastic show!
on 29 August 2013
My little girl enjoys this as much as I did when I was small. An oldie but a goldie! I would give five stars if the menu was designed better.
on 2 February 2013
as shown on time, remem mem remember member, re mem mem remember member, re mem mem remember member when remember whennnnnnn