5.0 out of 5 stars Great addittion to my collection, 19 Sep 2001
This review is from: A Break from the Norm (Audio CD)
I concur with the other reviews, but if you like this one also check out the Vol 1 & 2 of 'Sampled', a compilation of the original versions and sampled materials of some more recent hits. Lots of 'Oh that's where it's from' moments...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fatboy Slim is a musical genius, 7 Mar 2007
This review is from: A Break from the Norm (Audio CD)
This album arrived today and I'm half way through listening to it.

If your a Fatboy Slim fan you may not enjoy this music particularly (although there are some good songs).

However I recommend you buy this because you will probably do what I did and be listening along then suddenly jump out of your chair shouting "OMFG Fatboy slim is a utter genius".

Some of the samples hes taken from these songs are so clever.

The vocal hooks from 'Ya mama' and 'Gangster trippin' is manage to pull from a the middle of a rapped lyric - blink and you would miss them.

If like Fatboy Slim and have all is albums before palookaville I would recommend you do whatever you can to get this album - be it beg, borrow or steal. This is a CD which should be in your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for hearing the originals, 25 Aug 2004
Michael Holden (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Break from the Norm (Audio CD)
One thing that surprised me more than anything with this album was that some of the samplings I heard from his versions I always presumed were tweaked up in a way. For example the guitar rift used in the Lulu song, I dont know why but I thought that was tweaked up when he used it so I was surprised when I heard the original in how it was the same sound. It actually makes me wonder how much he uses as direct samples from songs and what are his own added stuff. Other than that I still love the songs he makes. I think more than anything he embraces the originals so listening to either still feels like a different experience which is good to know. I could be wrong about this but I always thought this album came out back in 1999 rather than 2001 as I thought this came out before his third album, oh well it doesnt make a major difference regardless anyway. Also for those that are interested, the songs covered here are featured from the Fatboy Slim albums: "Better Living Through Chemistry", "You've Come A Long Way Baby" and "Halfway Between The Gutter and The Stars". Theres some you may not recognise as there is the odd song on there that have been used for B-Sides, I can only recall 1 song so far that I have no idea what song it was used on. I highly recommend this to avid Fatboy Slim fans who are curious to see what the originals are like, you wont be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An fascinating insight into Fatboy's diverse influences, 3 May 2001
This review is from: A Break from the Norm (Audio CD)
I?ve just bought the Fatboy Slim compilation album called ?A Break from the Norm? that was released a few days ago. It?s a collection of many of the tracks that Norm has sampled in his tracks. If your a Fatboy fan like me, you?ll recognize where all the samples came from, but it's great to hear what the rest of the track is like!
In the words of the great man himself ?there were many others we could have included on this LP, but the snippet that was sampled was frankly the only redeeming feature of the record. I think you?ll agree that all the tracks here are enjoyable on their own merit rather than ?Oh, that?s where he got that bit from? syndrome.?
And it?s certainly true, although the bits he has sampled are predominantly the most catchy bits of each track, the rest of the tune always stands up on it?s own. I think it?s wonderful, because you get masses of different styles - from Lulu to the Dust Brothers! I like practically every style of music, so it?s ideal. It also opens your mind to how many different musical influences must be present in the Fatboy?s tunes, and is sometimes amazing to think how he has transformed that sample into a dancefloor-filler!
Highly recommended for anyone who is open-minded.
Jon

5.0 out of 5 stars He doesn't get influenced,He samples and here is some proof, 10 April 2001
This review is from: A Break from the Norm (Audio CD)
Ive spent along time Searching on amazon.co.uk for most these songs and I am really pleased to see them all on one cd. Fatboy Slim is the greatest artist I have ever know and finding his "origianls" is very fun. There not all on here but some of the best are. 1) Take Yo Praise - The Catchy Vocals on his Praise You. Its worth getting this whole Album just for this song as you never expect the words to variate from the ones used in his version. 2)Beatbox Wash - Just listen and if your any fan of Fatboy Then Youl jump of your seat when it gets to "that part". 3)I'll Do A Little Bit More by the The Olympics - I love this song more than his version. Its just such a catchy song. So simple and yet you that litle funky bit and you can understand why he took it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Someone is being clever..., 13 April 2001
This review is from: A Break from the Norm (Audio CD)
I am constantly amazed by Norman Cook. I imagine since these samples had to be cleared in the first place someone came up with the bright idea to use them again and make some money. Good work. I wish we were able to get a hold of other sample names as well but thats nearly impossible considering how many he uses. I find that after you hear the original of something he has diced up it makes you really think about the song next time you listen and Norman is that much cooler.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great collection of his best and treasured, 19 Dec 2003
This review is from: A Break from the Norm (Audio CD)
A Classic. I brought this CD ages ago, and found it insprational at the time and I still do. I still listen to it while I work, and I find it calming and somthing to break away from, hence the title "A Break From the Norm".
It is one of the few CD's I have, in some way NOT regretted buying from the internet!!
This CD will pleasure any buyer, no matter what music they are into and I hope it gives some great listening.

A Break from the Norm
A Break from the Norm by Fatboy Slim (Audio CD - 2001)