5.0 out of 5 stars A Memorable Collection
Another success for the Amazon computer! When I first started buying from Amazon, one of the artists I looked for was David McWilliams. I wasn't surprised to find there was none of his work on CD since he'd only had a brief period of minor success in the late 60's. I would never have looked again if this album hadn't suddenly turned up in my recommendations.
It says...
Published on 4 Dec 2002 by T D Jones

3.0 out of 5 stars The Daze of Pearly Spencer
Published on 8 Nov 2009 by D. A. Campbell

5.0 out of 5 stars A Memorable Collection, 4 Dec 2002
This review is from: The Days Of David McWilliams (Audio CD)
It says a lot for the strength of McWilliams' songwriting that as soon as I saw the track list I could remember the words to at least two of the songs that I probably haven't heard for 20 years.
McWilliams, from Belfast, was performing his blend of folky protest and love songs in pubs when he was discovered by a promoter and brought to England as one of the first acts on Radio Caroline's Major Minor label. Seen as possibly competition to Donovan and Tim Buckley he was proclaimed as the next big act, but they decided his simple vocal and guitar style needed more of an edge. Teaming him with arranger and producer Mike Leander gave him that new sound. Complex arrangements of strings and woodwind were added to the folk songs. Without taking any emphasis away from the words, they provided an instrumental hook to hold them in the memory.
This collection gives 22 tracks taken from all 3 of his 60's albums. One track, I Love Susie In The Summer, may be from a different source as it seems new to me. They are not in any chronological order but all 3 albums were recorded over a very short period and feature a mix of protest and love songs so there is no progression to demonstrate. Possibly it is dated protests that have been omitted. Certainly God and My Country, despite being mentioned in the notes, is missing, but Redundancy Blues and Hiroshima are here.
It's hard to pick stand out tracks from a collection that brings back so many memories. Possibly the only McWilliams song that most people will have heard is Days of Pearly Spencer, rereleased several times and recorded by other artists. As I sit here looking at the track list, having not finished my first play yet, even the tracks I haven't played come flooding back to me. This, and his later work that came up when I placed this order, are going to get a lot of plays.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another bard, and a good memory, too ..., 20 Aug 2003
This review is from: The Days Of David McWilliams (Audio CD)
How very right reviewer Valkan is. My first reminiscences of McW go back to the same (pearly) radio days of '67 and the portable on the kitchen table. In Flanders, medium wave broadcast quality was just barely doable in early evening time, and I have distinct memories of the plugging of 'this new singer' on Caroline's Major-Minor label; some of his music I must still have lying around gathering dust on an Ampex tape.
Looking and listening back, the only thing I miss on David's Music is the doubtful quality of the radio waves blurring in and out on the radio (to make the memories complete); the rest is all there: the wistful romance, the sincerity also, of simple, thoughtful lyrics that speak for themselves.
'There ain't no lock upon my door," is what I hear the singer saying: this is true, of good memories and ground-breaking sixties music to begin with. Listening to this pick of David McWilliams's back catalogue, one may wonder why the career of such an innovator was so short-lived.
One of the LP blurbs states that the (then) 22-year-old 'has as yet to find the girl who can hold his wandering attention'. For David we hope that some nice folk-and-hippie girl caught the bard's invitations to the Josephine's, Marlena's or Harlem Lady Helens along the way...
Great stuff this, ranking with the likes of Clifford T. Ward, Peter Sarstedt, Richard Harris, Nick Drake and Gordon Lightfoot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 11 Sep 2010
Susan Edwards (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Days Of David McWilliams (Audio CD)
I only came across David Mcwilliams when I was listening to a 60s compilation and when he sang "The Days of Pearly Spencer" it sent shivers up my spine, so I had to buy his CD, and enjoyed all of his songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars nostalgia, 20 April 2009
Helen Cairney "musicmum" (Glasgow, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Days Of David McWilliams (Audio CD)
searched for this album for years, now it's here, taking me back to my youth. My original vinyl version, long gone, cost an eighth of the price, but hey, this is worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgia for the sixties, 4 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Days Of David McWilliams (Audio CD)
Original tracks brilliant as before, newer tracks good but largely uninspired, but worth it for the original stuff. Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars CD by David McWilliams, 3 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Days Of David McWilliams (Audio CD)
Was pleased to get my CD as been looking for it for some time. Came through the post in quick time and was a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars David McWilliams classic album, 18 July 2013
This review is from: The Days Of David McWilliams (Audio CD)
First started listening to David McWilliams when I was 15 years old. This album reminded me just what a great songwriter and singer he was....still an album of today and for ever..

3.0 out of 5 stars The Daze of Pearly Spencer, 8 Nov 2009
D. A. Campbell (Stirling, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Days Of David McWilliams (Audio CD)
The collection is overshadowed by his most successful recording "Pearly Spencer", which I heard in the late '60s. The songs are influenced by the likes of Donovan, Dylan etc. and deal with topics as diverse as love, nuclear war and unemployment. The arrangements are firmly rooted in the '60s and there is a sameness to many of the tracks. However, it is a pleasant listen if you like "Pearly Spencer".

The Days Of David McWilliams
The Days Of David McWilliams by David McWilliams (Audio CD - 2014)
Click for more info