‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone should own this record., 18 Jun 2002
DiBosco "RJW" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: English Settlement (Audio CD)
This is the album that marked the end of one XTC era and the beginning of a new, exciting, bold period for the band. Andy broke down while touring to promote the album and wouldn't tour again - which prompted Terry Chambers to get fed up and emigrate to Australia, leaving the band to hire a different drummer for consequent albums and free to march a dizzying path through numerous styles of music over the next twenty years.
I bought this album on its release twenty years ago because I had liked Sgt Rock and Making Plans... This album utterly entranced me like no other album ever has. Partridge and Moulding write brilliant, thought provoking, intelligent songs bundled up in the most enthralling, original and enduring arrangements of pop music you could imagine. And yes, they are still doing it today.
Everyone in their mid to late twenties and older will know the joyous single that reverberates to Dave's beautiful black twelve string Rickenbacker and Andy's proclamation of the joy of being alive in Senses Working Overtime. Few people will know the other songs that treat you to an hour or more of a multitude of aspects of living life in England. Not the United Kingdom, but decidely England. Post Kinks, pre Blur - or maybe the Kinks are pre XTC and Blur are post XTC. All three quintessentially English, non more consistent that this quartet from Swindon who -in this album - take us through destroying homes in the name of progress; children running away from their violent parents; the debilitating effects of long term unemployment; the woman who was so cold and unemotional through to the joys of life; seizing the moment of being alive; the fragility of love and so on and so forth.
I have heard people say the album is starting to sound a little old now; it's hard for me to say because I know it and love it so so well. Even if it is sounding a little dated it's still an album to fall in love with. Go on - have an affair.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surely one of the greatest albums ever, 29 April 2005
C. Pybus "wide as a bus" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: English Settlement (Audio CD)
As someone who wasn't born when this album came out, i fell accross this as they were listed as an influence on a number of currentbands, perhaps most notably 'Dogs Die In Hot Cars'. However, how happy I was, Partridge as a purveyor of perfect pop must be up there with the very best, his songs are funny, touching, and impossibly catchy. For me this is his and the rest of the band (particularly Moulding)'s best work, and what's more it's a double album, though it's no white album, there are 2 great albums here not 1. That's not to say that the body of work's not coherent as a whole, it is not an album of two halves. What of the songs, well, it's a feast for the ears, just so many awesome tracks, and here i feel i have to agree with the other reviewer's comments, that you find yourself asking yourself if each song is in fact the greatest pop song ever. Personal favourites would be 'Ball and Chain', 'Jason and the Argonaughts', 'No Thugs In Our House', 'All of a Sudden', 'Snowman', but there is not a single track i don't enjoy and which would be a standout on the albums of today's imitators.
I only hope that as they continue to influence others so more people will discover this album, and the many other great XTC albums, and they might achieve the retrospective acclaim they deserve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy, listen and love you deserve nothing more, 8 Feb 2005
This review is from: English Settlement (Audio CD)
If there was just one album that I was allowed to own then this would be it. I often worry that if I listen to an album too much I will become bored with it, but English Settlement will never have me afraid of that.
Whether you are interested in melody, harmony, rhythm or lyrics this album will keep you entranced. The tunes are captivating, the words just so clever and the overall sound so deep and satisfying that there is something new to find each time you listen.
At this stage XTC were in the midst of moving their sound from the hard driving edge of their earlier albums to the softer sheen of say "Skylarking". "English Settlement" manages to combine both elements, in what is a thinly veiled commentary on the early 1980s political and social scene. They might be superb songs but at the same time they have a lot to say about how we treat our world and other people.
The most outstanding track must be "Senses working Overtime", a very marginal opinion when there is so much else good spread all around it.
The simplest solution is just to buy it and listen to it and then I am sure you will love it, just as I did over 20 years ago and still do today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Timeless, 28 Aug 2006
This review is from: English Settlement (Audio CD)
I still have my original vinyl copy from the day of its UK release. Its a bit worn and tatty, has survived countless house moves, and was one of the few items I purposefully rescued from the fast rising waters when my village flooded a few years back.

It would be the desert island disc for me. Each and every track says so much and from a personal standpoint represents such an important period of my teens. I could not have forced myself to revise for my O Levels without it!

If you know the album you will see where I`m coming from. If you have never heard it well, what are you waiting for?

5.0 out of 5 stars Another contender for..., 16 April 2004
Jason Parkes "We're all Frankies'" (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: English Settlement (Audio CD)
(i) greatest XTC album, (ii) greatest album of the 1980s, (iii) greatest double-album of all time, or (iv) greatest pop album in the world ever (recurring). It always irks me that XTC (& the spin-off Dukes) are appreciated by a knowing cult, or just for a few hits (Nigel, Senses). They should be considered alongside The Beatles, Julian Cope/Teardrops & The Kinks as the definitive English pop act. & looking at their back-catalogue it's hard to pick out their best work, I'm as likely to pick English Settlement as I am Drums & Wires, Black Sea, Skylarking, Chips from the Chocolate Fireball, Oranges & Lemons, or the glut of releases post-1998 (Apple Venus et al). XTC are that great- & even their less succesful albums have great moments- Wake Up, Love on a Farmboy's Wages, The Loving, Statue of Liberty etc. They're much more than a great singles band- despite being a great singles band and English Settlement is just part of that evidence...
I'm a big fan of double-albums, so this album wins on that count also and gets to be filed alongside Warehouse (Songs & Stories), Trout Mask Replica, Sign'O'the Times, Something Anything and multiple other great double-releases. A band has to be great to carry off a double-album- which is why there are such follies as The Fragile and Use Your Illusion.
There are three singles here, though only Senses Working Overtime (XTC's biggest UK hit?),now a radio 2 standard (well, on Jeremy Vine!), is that well known. Ball and Chain is a great pop song that ranks alongside prior offerings such as This is Pop, Generals & Majors and Sgt Rock. Even better is No Thugs in Our House, which pre-empts Morrissey's controversial The National Front Disco in terms of theme and makes sense alongside a film like Made in Britain (1983). Plus it's a great pop song! Back to Senses..., yes it's one of the perfect pop songs and as someone said here, reason alone to buy this album!
Without naming every track on this album, I'd like to point out the rest is very wonderful too- Colin Moulding's opening Runaways is great stuff and listening to this record all the way through you say things like "Is Jason and the Argonauts the best song ever?", "Is Yacht Dance the greatest song ever?", "Is Knuckle Down...[yes, we get the idea...]"- English Settlement is that good and improved by the remastering a few years ago.
This is one album that is perfect for all seasons, and like several other XTC albums, it ought to be revered more...I'm considering stapling blue plaques to every copy I come across!

5.0 out of 5 stars Make your senses work - Overtime!, 19 Jun 2001
This review is from: English Settlement (Audio CD)
Everyone with an interest in good music remembers Senses Working Overtime. Believe it or not - it's not the best track on this record! Although it's difficult to pick a best track to be honest - if you liked Making plans for Nigel, try Knuckle down.If you liked Generals & Majors, try No Thugs In Our House. If you're a Drums&Wires fan, try Down in the Cockpit. Its all here! This album is a veritable dictionary of XTC - all their musical guises are present. Look at it like this, buy the brilliant single - Senses Working Overtime, and get a free 14 tracks thrown in! The price is worth it even for that one song.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage music, 26 Mar 2008
This review is from: English Settlement (Audio CD)
Still have my XTC vinyls, a bit scratched from rough handling, and it is surprising how well the music has stood the test of time (with some few exceptions). As with all good music the core ,i.e. melody or basic idea, is well worked-out and delicate. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant for a "transitional" album...., 24 Nov 2007
bish (Northampton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: English Settlement (Audio CD)
By this time XTC had progressed from being new wave upstarts,through the light and then power pop of "Drums & Wires" & "Black Sea" to a bridging point between the latter and "Skylarking"(for some reason "the Big Express" and "Mummer" seem to have been forgotten but I thought they were superb).
This album was the rudder steering the band into a more mature musical direction which was tragically ignored/misunderstood by the masses.Commercially this was the band's zenith-for it to compete with the "New Romantic" fluff of the time was a major achievement.
A rich,varied album of sublime musicianship (Dave Gregory's playing is superb)I still remember the day I bought this album and it still fills me with a warm glow 25 years later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ok so I'm from Swindon, 4 May 2011
andy furkins (Swindon, Wilts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: English Settlement (Audio CD)
Loved XTC from day one and saw them tons of times. So I'm a fan but ignore that 'cause I'm sure you're thinking okay it must be one of their mates, if only!

So listen up if you like inventive, well written lyrics with meaning and wit you're in for a treat.

The drumming on this album (Terry Chambers - why did you leave?) is outstanding up there with the greats, listen to It's nearly Africa.

In Yacht Dance you get the great XTC single that should have been - the track that would have broken them as the force they could and should have been.

As a Swindon lad I'm proud to say that in XTC this Great Western Town has a legacy to be proud of ... Thanks lads

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Albums Ever., 17 Dec 2010
This review is from: English Settlement (Audio CD)
I used to have a tape of this (remember tapes?)way back in the C60 C90 C120 days. And it was way back then that I recorded this from a borrowed album. I guess then that this double album must have just about fitted onto a C90? Anyhow, have been getting back into some old vibes from the punk/new wave era and bought this after a spell on here looking through my fave bands from the times and bought this on CD (any members of XTC reading this - hey at least I've come clean!). And wow - isn't it weird how you forget faces and names and all manner of things but can always sing along to songs? And believe me this gem has every single track worthy of memory, honest. My personal favorite from the album is 'Knuckle Down' but every track is wonderfully crafted and very much as fresh today as then. What amazed me was also to find that many of the songs from 1982 are still very politically apt even today - for example 'Melt the Guns' (could easily refer to the Afganistan crisis and US involvement and foreign policy) and also 'Leisure' (amazin to think that Andy way back then made such amazin observations about computer games etc. Class act XTC. So I'm really pleased I bought this after so long, and it has wet my appetite to buy very many more from their back catologue. Lookin forward to it. Bring it on!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

English Settlement
English Settlement by XTC (Audio CD - 2001)