Format: DVD|Change

on 20 September 2014
Good film , how these guys kept a straight face while filming I'll never know
on 7 February 2005
'I'm voting for yours truly' (Everett). 'I am too' (Pete). 'I'm with you fellas' (Delmar)...We're in a tight spot...Say, what line o' work you in George...any o' you boys know your way 'round a Walter PPk...
'Bona fide' slapstick romp with 'dapper' performances. Fabulous music - 'steeped in old-timey' (see Down from the Mountain DVD). Despite a disappointing departure from the 'treasure' plot, very funny. This is a light-hearted, 'tongue in cheek' send-up (something akin to Monty Python) - NOT to be taken too seriously or over analysed. Understandably, some may not get the point; but with comedy there doesn't have to be one. It's a sorry state of affairs when people aren't able to laugh at themselves. Incidentally, while no-one (except sadists) wants to see livestock harmed, in the context of the movie the animal scenes are plausible.
Memorable moment: Soggy Bottom Boys meets ZZ Top, with 'pass the biscuits' Pappy O' D' jigging 'cross the stage (with reinforced floor).
Signing off: a man of constant sorrow.
Keep on the sunny side!
on 13 April 2001
This is a film I expect everyone to watch and I challenge them not to enjoy it I have owned the DVD just 3 days and I have watched it 5 times and this is not because I have excessive free time either in fact my time runs at a premium. I have been a fan of the Coen brothers ever since I was fortunate enough to watch The Big Lebowski I know a late starter, but have been hooked ever since my previous favourite being Fargo. It defies logic anybody not liking this film but then again it is a fool who seeks logic in the chambers of the human heart.
on 11 April 2016
so funny, so silly but great viewing and A1 music to boot - loved it
on 20 December 2014
This is my favourite film of all time, so glad they put on Blu ray.
on 19 October 2015
A Christmas present requested by my grandson, he loves this movie.
on 22 September 2003
This film bridges the generation gap with sophisticated humour that appeals on many levels supplimented with situational slapstick. The music ranges from just atmospheric to etherial and it is almost worth watching the film for the baptists' chant alone. The story is compellingly traditional but with so many twists you can't see where it's going. I watched this with my father first and afterwards my son and there were so many contravertial, moral issues gently touched upon that well nourished conversation flowed after both viewings.
on 11 March 2001
This film can be used as an example of how brilliant the Coen brothers really are when writing and directing a film. Once again the brothers do not fail to deliver a terrific story, wonderfully quirky characters, suitable music and ingeniously timed comic wit. At first it might appear as though George Clooney is the only thing coherent in this film but that thought is soon diminished as we are taken into the magical world of the Coens. Excellent.
on 21 October 2011
The Coen brothers tend to be very hit and miss for the general movie going public, but for me this is their best film as alot of their more serious work tends to leave me unsatisfied at the end. Beautifully shot, brilliantly acted and the soundtrack is absolutely magic.

As for the Blu Ray quality, the PQ is the best this film has ever looked and the AQ is tops as well.
Well worth a look if you look your comedies intelligent and quirky.
As a long time Coen fan, this movie proved to be everything I expected: sepia toned photography, extraordinary characterisation beautiful imagery and a self-referential, deeply echoing storyline all add up to a true marvel of the new millenium. Only a cold-hearted Siren, or people who buy it "because Clooney's in it" could possible dislike this movie. And for excellent inteviews and 30's style menus, the DVD is a must.