5.0 out of 5 stars What happened to my rock n' roll
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club have produced the single best album of 2001 with this, their debut album. Each of the 11 tracks is a superb blend of rhythmic beats, thoughtful lyrics and excellent guitar riffs.
Published on 14 July 2003 by robmelliot

3.0 out of 5 stars Wearing influences on their sleeves
Maybe like me your'e a sad old f**t looking for the next rock n' roll 'big thing' (?)
Having been spurred to purchase by a newspaper review which suggested "if you like Hawkwind (which I do) you'll like BRMC", I was slightly disappoined on first listen. The influences on this record are legion - I spotted the 'Wind, a touch of Sabbath in places, some...
Published on 11 Feb 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars What happened to my rock n' roll, 14 July 2003
This review is from: B.R.M.C. (Audio CD)
From the opening track, the album is a class act. I first noticed BRMC on the release of ‘Spread Your Love’ which has an unforgettable riff and one of my favourite musical openings to a rock and roll song. The fact that the a track of this type can have such a quality beat without having overpowering drums or drowned vocals shows that BRMC have not made the same mistakes as other recent rock bands.
To my surprise and pleasure, on listening to the album, I found that ‘Spread Your Love’ was not in fact their best song. Indeed, such is the quality and balance evident in every track that I am compelled to say that every song is brilliant in its own right.
Listening to the album from track 1 to track 11 is the best way to listen to it. There are few albums in which every track complements the others to the extent that this can be recommended. Each track varies enough to claim its own identity and after a year and a half of it almost possessing my stereo, I am still waiting for any of the tracks to bore me. Apparently, that day will never come.
The most remarkable track on the album is ‘Rifles’. Don’t get me wrong, ‘Whatever happened to my rock n’ roll’ on any other album would doubtless eclipse all others, but the epic ‘Rifles’ is a monumental musical effort. The eerie 1.5 minute opening with vocal harmonies repeating ‘I’m gonna take my time’ may seem a little bizarre at first, but they comprise the necessary prologue to the overall track. The guitar riff that follows is sensational and the lyrics stir even the most dormant imaginations. The best musical 7 minutes since Radiohead’s ‘Paranoid Android’ and for anyone who has even a vague taste for rock n’ roll, this is essential listening.
The only reason it has taken me a year and a half between buying the album and writing this review is that I do not feel that my words alone can do it justice. I urge you to buy this album before any other. Listen to it five or six times and before you know it, BRMC will inhabit your CD player.

4.0 out of 5 stars A stormer of a debut from a band that grew up to quick, 4 April 2002
This review is from: B.R.M.C. (Audio CD)
These young guys from San Francisco have made an album that happens to combine catchy melodies with more of a darker edge than this years current faves The Strokes, White Stripes etc. They are at their best with songs like Love Burns and Red Eyes and Tears which hail inspiration from the likes of the Jesus and Mary Chain but put a fresh edge on it. Most of the tracks on the album are riddled with distortion and grinding rhythms but also they come up with great melodies .e.g Rifles. I feel that what they do best is simply rock out with Whatever Happended to My Rock and Roll being a prime example. A corker of a track, the album could of had a few more on the same line. A classic debut that shows B.R.M.C should be around for a long time to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rebel Yeah!, 1 Jun 2001
This review is from: B.R.M.C. (Audio CD)
I first heard of this band about a year ago through another U.S band (Brian Jonestown Massacre)and also because of their well cool name. So I thought I'd pick the album up on import to check it out. There's nothing amazingly new or unique about this three-piece but what they do offer is some very good dark guitar rock. Most of the tunes do have a similar sound but if you enjoy the music of Jesus and Mary Chain, M.B.V, and early Ride you'll love this. In fact you could imagine this band on Creation Records circa 1989. More recently they share the same kind of psychedelic guitar sound as the Dandy Warhols. I don't really have a fave song as there quite a few stand out tracks, although 'Rifles' is top notch in Stone Roses groove type way, and 'As Sure as the Sun' has an ace bass-line. They do however, wear their influences on their sleeve too much on the final track 'Salvation' ....All in all definitely worth checking out if your into Good Indie-Guitar music and lets face it, theres not much of it about these days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 3 Feb 2007
K. P. Waite "The_Possom" (Bucks, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: B.R.M.C. (Audio CD)
This is a record to become seriously excited about, in a very mellow way. This record has a an aura about it that is not present in many modern band. They do seem to be able to encompass a great varying musical genres into one blend, there are quitre obvious influences from physche, shoegazer, but then through the mix you can hear a spark of bright acoustic guitar, fuzzy overdrive and distortion which hits in great waves of noise. It is truly a sublime album, the trio show off some excellent songwriting on such numbers as, Rifles, which is my personal favourite song, Love Burns and Whatever happened to my rock 'n' roll.

One aspect of thsi album i truly do love is how the guys seem able to layer some quite complex guitar work, with equally gracious bass work relayed over a solid drum beat, they certainly have a lot more talent than most artists of the current moment, and have definately lead me to believe that something good to come of the american music scene.

All in all i cannot stress enough how much you should go out and buy this album it is a truly good listen, and great to relax to after a long day.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not JAMC mk II, but worthy of its own recognition., 17 Feb 2002
This review is from: B.R.M.C. (Audio CD)
Looking out for something to challenge or equal the formidable Jesus & Mary Chain, the press reviews promised much from the debut, B.R.M.C. Don't be taken in by this as you will be disappointed if this is your only reason for buying it. These reviews have left me wondering if they had ever heard Psycho Candy, and didn't look beyond the cover of B.R.M.C. If your looking for this, buy Barbed Wire Kisses and stop looking. On listening to this record on its own merit, you will find a different flavour all together. It has contagious moods and themes of its own. This does stand up on its own as you listen to it progressively. If you were to draw comparisons, then think Verve's, A Storm In Heaven, My Bloody Valentine or even MC5. It will be interesting to see their next move.

4.0 out of 5 stars Music To Feel Young Too, 1 Mar 2004
This review is from: B.R.M.C. (Audio CD)
I was a bit late to Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, The business of being a fully paid up adult got in the way. Sure I heard one of the singles from this Album on the radio but they sort of passed me by. Taking advantage of a closing down sale at the local record shop I decided to buy, being a sucker for pictures of moody artists on album covers being the deciding factor.
Gosh, I'm pleased I was, yes they are indebted to JAMC, but seeing as one can't have too much feedback in my book that is no bad thing. However what blew me away about this album was the fact it made me feel young! I wanted to go into the closet dig out my old leather jacket and fringed skirts, dye my hair black again, and make love to a razor cheeked man.
From the reviews I've read on the 'net, they do take themselves far too seriously and it has to be said they are not doing anything particulary new but, bless, they do it well. So if you are a fan of feedback, JAMC and a less than straight forward look on pop/rock, go out and buy or just click on the button. If, God forbid, you don't own at least one of the Mary Chain's albums buy pschocandy at the same time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Promising Debut From A Promising Band, 20 July 2003
This review is from: B.R.M.C. (Audio CD)
I first heard BRMC on tv, and thuoght they must have been a band from the seventies thanks to their retro style and sound. Later, however, I saw a second video (Whatever Happened To My Rock 'N' Roll?)and realised they were definitly not an old band.
BRMC pull out some romper-stomper anthems in this album, including 'Love Burns', 'Spread Your Love', 'As Sure As The Sun', and 'Whatever Happened...'. The most striking thing about this album is the bass playing that's going on - ordinarily a bass is a hardly appreciated or heard instrument thanks to the overpowering guitar - not so on BRMC. Infact, the bass is the most impressive, standout, and best thing on the entire album. Look no further than the opener of 'Spread Your Love' and the seven minute wonder of 'As Sure As The Sun'.
I would advise all fans of garage rock, and 'new rock', as it's called, to purchase this album and give it some thorough listening. I would not be in the least bit surprised if in a few years time BRMC are stadium-names and these anthems will be welcomed by new fans who only got on the bus when it called at all the major stations. Don't miss the bus.

5.0 out of 5 stars best album i bought this year!, 4 May 2003
This review is from: B.R.M.C. (Audio CD)
When I first heard of BRMC I just thought "who on earth is this!?" - then i decided to give their music a trial, but was instantly hooked. I'd heard "Spread your love" via a friend, and simply loved the song. That persuaded me to buy the album.
I don't know much about the band, but I'll certainly be buying their next album. Songs I can certainly recommend are "Love Burns", "Awake", and "Salvation".
However, "Spread your love" remains my favourite song from the band. Everyone will remember when Dire Straits burst onto the scene and produced "Sultans of Swing" in their first album - many people remember that as being one of their finest songs, if not the finest, occuring in their debut, because it was such a good song. I can say exactly the same about "Spread your love", because for me it's a song I'll always remember the band for.

5.0 out of 5 stars majestic, 4 Mar 2002
This review is from: B.R.M.C. (Audio CD)
as an avid fan of the Verve, Jesus and Mary Chain, House of Love and in particular Ride, i was a little concerned at the prospect of BRMC being nothing more than a tribute band. What i got was a pleasant surprise. Yes the influences are obvious, but they develop these into a new fresh sound all of their own. They mix their House of Love vocals, Ride guitars and Jesus and Mary Chain "heaviness" to create an almost 60's psychedelia that would not of been out of place in the days when their influences were at their pomp. If you like the bands above, buy this album, lay back and enjoy, well worth a purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Debut!, 24 April 2003
This review is from: B.R.M.C. (Audio CD)
I had seen BRMC live about a year before getting round to buying this album - now I'm kicking myself for not getting it sooner! Their songs have a really atmospheric feel to them which has (rather surprisingly) been captured very well on record. Released at a time when 'The' bands are all the rage (and decidedly dull), this debut made a refreshing change with it's dark, moody, full on rock 'n' roll. Great stand out songs include the singles ' Whatever Happened To My Rock 'n' Roll (Punk Song)', 'Love Burns' and my personal fave 'Red Eyes And Tears'.

B.R.M.C.
B.R.M.C. by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club (Audio CD - 2001)