Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 July 2001
I've been looking forward to this album for quite a long time now. And it's finally here. Compaired to homecoming it's better recorded and produced, with some nice orcestrial breaks in some of the songs like back and fourth.
As an album it's a lot slower than previous attempts, but the lyric's still speak of despresing subjects and situations.
I like this albumn a lot, I woulnd't say it was worse or better than home coming, it's just different.
If you don't have any Craig's Brother, get homecoming, if you have homecoming buy this.
on 12 March 2011
After my huge disappointment at the debut album Homecoming, Lost at sea was like listening to a whole new band, rejuvenated and with a fresher and cleaner approach to making music. Like another reviewer has said the production on this album is much better than on Homecoming and the music is much more polished and thought out than the 100 mile an hour punk sound of the debut. The album could still be described as punk but it's so much more toned down that it's now more reminiscent to pop punk, especially because there are actual proper melodies in the songs. When I listened to Homecoming the songs seemed rushed, had no rhythm and were a shambles, with this album it seems like the band have learnt how to write music and craft rhythms with melodies. I was amazed at how much of a difference this album has compared to the debut. I would certainly recommend this album whereas I think everyone should stay away from Homecoming.

I like the artwork for the album with the skeleton floating on a small raft surrounded by sea on the front cover, and the bottle of sarsaparilla with a rolled up piece of paper inside (message in a bottle) on the back. The artwork reflects the music.

The album's first track Glory shows that even though the style has drastically changed they're still singing about intense and somewhat depressing stuff. This isn't a bad thing. The intro riff to this song shows how they are actually writing the songs with structure. The song seems to be political. It has a great sound and you can actually feel the rhythm. It's a good indication into the sound to expect from the album. Lullaby, which I just discovered was on their first ever EP has been polished up and re-recorded for this album and it is one of the best. I think the melody in the chorus is amazing, it just seems to float. It's one of the slower and softer tracks on the album but I'd even go as far as to call it 'beautiful'. Masonic actually has acoustic guitar in it, then comes in a great guitar riff and you can hear the bass, it's got a good beat (is this still the same band who created Homecoming?!). In this song you can pick out the themes of loneliness and being lost, even injustice. Whereas when they wrote about this before it was just plain depressing, they put it in a way that actually influences and with the music it sounds good. Divorce is just plain catchy, which isn't something I would discount for the rest of the songs either, but this is probably the catchiest tune on the record. Head in a cloud is a more mediocre song but is good still. Back and forth is an interesting song to listen to. The intro before it kicks in sounds creepy, and the song references someone having a 'neo Victorian fantasy' and the chorus has a great swinging feel to it. The whole song sounds really eerie. I definitely think the whole album has an eerie feel to it but this song is the pinnacle of it. Falling out is one of the best songs on the album. I don't really have a favourite but this is definitely up there. Even though the chorus is repetitive it has a great sound and I like how the 1st verse is so quiet sounding compared to the rest of the song, building up to the chorus. Set free has all acoustic guitar and the vocals seem to be quite muffled in the 1st verse. About halfway through the song it kicks in with a more upbeat rhythm which is quite clever. It's not 1 of my favourites but neither is the following song Prince of America but they're still good songs. The latter song clearly must be political. The final song Lost at sea is one of, if not my favourite. It's got an epic quality to it. The song appears to be about the breakup of a guy and girl and the girl is awaiting on shore while the guy is floating at sea. It's a clever concept and the outro with the sound of rain, thunder and seagulls is pretty cool. I think 1:30 of just that sound is a little bit of a prolonged outro though but it's creepy enough to really instil feeling.

Unlike the incredibly depressing disaster that was Homecoming their sophomore album has a great sound with some really interesting songs. A massive improvement to say the least. It really isn't a difficult album to like and I would definitely recommend it, whether it's background music or an album to enjoy, this is it.