5.0 out of 5 stars Unfit middle-aged female - but not for much longer!
I LOVE THIS! I have never done a fitness routine as such before, unless I count the karate of twenty years ago... I was doubtful whether I could do any of it at first (my daughter fell about laughing when I told her I was doing it). The voice of Peter Martin is calm and assured, he gives the instructions clearly and slowly - and the soundtrack is excellent.
I do...
Published on 18 July 2003 by Amazon Addict

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm a failure
I wanted to get to a ballet class to excersise but they were quite expensive so I thought I'd get this dvd instead. I loved ballet as a little girl and love dancing now but this was a killer.

Published on 7 Jan. 2010 by ACMN1

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Unfit middle-aged female - but not for much longer!, 18 July 2003
This review is from: New York City Ballet Workout [DVD] (DVD)
I do Warmup 1, then all the floor exercises and by the time I get to Reverence at the end I feel a new woman! I'm happy to report that the flab is gradually being replaced by toned muscle - and I have loads more energy.
BUY IT!!

4.0 out of 5 stars An overweight 55-year-old man loves it!, 7 July 2001
This review is from: New York City Ballet Workout [DVD] (DVD)
I have never done a workout in all my life and am very unfit, but for the past three weeks I have done parts of this routine every day and I love it. At the moment I do Warm-up 1, some plies, one or two other sections and follow with some of the floor barre exercises. The classical soundtrack is beautifully matched and inspirational. The 'Reverence' section is an almost religious experience. With brain cells dying more frequently daily, it takes me a while to memorise the movements and the lack of explanation of ballet terms is a nuisance (best to watch the whole DVD through several times). The voice-over would be superb if it anticipated rather than followed moves. In the three weeks of use so far I feel so much fitter and a bit more supple and intend to persevere if only because it is so very enjoyable. Although there are some elements which I gaze at with wonder and say to myself "That's just not possible!" I realise that with practice I just might be able to achieve them. I'm discovering muscles I never knew existed (together with the accompanying aches which will go with time). Probably the most important gain for me from this beautifully photographed workout is a massively increased sense of well-being both physically and psychologically.

5.0 out of 5 stars What ever happened to the basics., 22 April 2003
This review is from: New York City Ballet Workout [DVD] (DVD)
I do ballet at least 3 times a week and as an adult and thought the New York City Ballet DVD would be an excellent supplement to my training.....and it is brilliant for me.
However....I do feel concerned that the very basics of ballet technique are not explained for the benefit of those people that have never done ballet before. I'm sure that some people might argue that it looks simple enough and of course it does with the help of the professional dancers who have been doing ballet for years and have had teachers correcting them along the way. Even a simple plie requires some knowledge of the technique to prevent injury.
Don't forget that this video/dvd is being sold on the basis that 'you too can have a body of a ballet dancer' and I would therefore expect some explanation as to why the ballet dancers body is the shape that it is and how it is achieved. This workout differs significantly from the usual aerobic videos where you are always encouraged to keep the knees soft, this is not the case in ballet and it is important to remember that the workout is based on ballet technique, how else do you think these dancers achieved slender legs, suppleness etc.... (don't have enough room to explain here).
Other than my moan above, I thought the DVD was excellent for me, brilliant workout and beautifully shot with a few extras thrown in. I hope they bring out additional workouts in the future. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 years later...and i still love it!, 27 Dec. 2004
This review is from: New York City Ballet Workout [DVD] (DVD)
Having owned this DVD for 3 years, and never having written a review I felt the time was right to share my thoughts.
I spent years trying to find a workout that eliminated the annoying 'thud-thump-thud' soundtrack that so many producers believe motivate us. I also wished to tone up within the extremely confined space of my tiny living room - having two small kids leaves me no other option. I ought to add that I'm one of those people, so often envied, who is thin...though this has its own problems - far too skinny, and no muscle whatsoever.
However, since starting this fabulous programme, I love my body. Wonderful muscle tone (I now have shapely calves, for the first time in my life), amazing flexibility and total awareness of posture.
I always wanted to practice ballet when I was a little girl, but being brought up by my dad, it never seemed to cross his mind to send me. This DVD has satisfied this long, latent yearning! Watching the dancers, listening to the beautiful music and attempting their moves - it has become my most treasured past-time. So relaxing - I miss it dreadfully if I can't find the time to do it!
If you're looking for a workout that's challenging, but not sweat-inducing, that's both calming AND energising, and that creates a beautiful well-toned body, then look no further.
This work-out is perfect...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for dancers and those who want to dance, 27 May 2006
This review is from: New York City Ballet Workout [DVD] (DVD)
Having got this about 3 years ago, and doing it whenever I have the time, it has helped so much with my turnout and ankle strength, plus overall strength. There is a fab abs workout which uses all your stomach muscles, and if you do the exercises properly, as a dancer with full posture and commitment to every move, you should be suitably knackered. I was already a dancer but started actual ballet lessons last year and due to using this workout, i found my first lesson a doddle and the teacher was shocked I'd never done an actual ballet class before.

The flexibility exercises are so brilliant, and it is clear every time you do it how much you've progressed. I ended up with my leg practically behind my head!

My mum is also an ex-dancer and choreographer, uses this regularly to keep herself in top shape.

A must for all dancers but would not recommend to non-dancers. The effect is not the same without correct form!

4.0 out of 5 stars A challenging and satisfying work out, 22 Mar. 2004
This review is from: New York City Ballet Workout [DVD] (DVD)
Being a bit of a heffalump, I was spectacluarly ungraceful in ballet classes as a child but always harboured secret desires to be a delicate, floaty, ballerina type - this DVD has gone some way to satisfying the closet ballerina in me.
Its calming and challenging at the same time and has done remarkable things to my legs and bottom in a matter of weeks. I have no ballet training but got the hang of plies, tendus and degages very quickly so don't be put off by a lack of knowledge, its easy to pick it up after a few goes.
I'm walking taller, getting slimmer and actually look forward to putting the dvd on and getting balletic! I'd definately recommend it to anyone; being able to select individual exercises has meant I've not got bored and as the man says, once you've mastered the actual moves you can work on honing your technique to make it more graceful and balletic.
An ideal change to yoga, pilates or aerobics which has made me feel dead glamourous!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unfit middle-aged female - but not for much longer!, 17 Jun. 2003
This review is from: New York City Ballet Workout [DVD] (DVD)
I ordered this in a desperate effort to remodel my bulges. I didn't expect to enjoy doing it and was scared it would be too hard. I needn't have worried on the last count; there are exercises such as sit-ups that I used to do regularly at karate, so at least I don't feel a total incompetent.
The instructions are given slowly and clearly, and the classical track is very relaxing. I haven't tried it with the "contemporary" track.
I leap out of bed these days and straight to the computer so I can have my daily "fitness fix"! :-)
If, like me, you've been putting off doing something constructive about your shape, hesitate no longer - I can thoroughly recommend this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, 23 Jan. 2009
Ms. C. Lee "Doc" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: New York City Ballet Workout [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this dvd 7 years ago- back then i had no ballet knowledge and did not appreciate the genius of the exercises on this dvd. It is easy to think the exercises are boring and easy when they are done with incorrect form. That's how i felt back then. I swiftly put the dvd back into its shadowy corner on the shelf.

Today, with having attended ballet courses and drop-in classes for over 6 years, I think IT IS THE BEES KNEES. The dvd has a permanent place in my dvd player. I find i like to use it after a long break from ballet and after one or two run throughs i am back on form and ready for class.

The exercises are safe- floor barre is genius, avoiding strain in knees and ensures turn out is from the hips- and the exercises are slow enough to allow the inexperienced/out-of-practice person time to FEEL the positions and adjust them as needed.

It provides a TOTAL body workout- hips, thighs, calves, back, shoulders, abs and done correctly, will leave your body lean and toned.

It matters little if you are inflexible and can't get your leg beyond your shoulder- just follow the correct form and it will improve if done regularly. Don't get frustrated by comparing yourself with the superhumans on the dvd (they do ballet to pay the bills) but see them as an instructor who likes to demonstrate (which is a privilege really- most ballet teachers in class just direct and don't provide the visual examples that are essential for learning). The ballerinas on the dvd provide the 'image' that is needed for your mind for you to work with. How can one reach a goal if you don't have a goal/image in mind?

I think this dvd is for everyone but of more IMMEDIATE benefit to those who know ballet. For those who don't, i think if you do the dvd for long enough at some point something will 'click' in your mind and you'll just 'get' it and then start to find it challengeing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, wow, wow... there is nothing else like this!!!, 30 Jan. 2003
This review is from: New York City Ballet Workout [DVD] (DVD)
This DVD is absolutely superb! For starters it is a visual masterpiece- perfectly choreographed, beautiful to watch, and the execution of the moves in time to the music against the black and white setting is nothing short of exquisite.
I found the soothing voice of Peter Martins to offer helpful instructions, and upon learning the ballet terms I realise that his instructions are actually timed slightly ahead of the moves to come which gives you a better chance to anticipate where to put your leg next!
The DVD is broken down into 17 sections that progress through the entire workout, which makes it perfect if you want to do the whole thing, or just focus on certain sections at a time.
However, the most amazing thing about this workout is that I can't believe the way that I can feel my muscles working- it certainly is hard work, and yet it feels fantastic! :) All the dancers make the moves look very controlled and elegant and effortless, and it makes you realise how strong and well toned they really are! You certainly know that your entire body has been squeezed and stretched and strengthened - when I came to do my usual Yoga routine after completing this workout I was amazed how much further I could go into stretches etc!
This workout will really work wonders for your body! I am very impressed with the DVD (it has extra behind the scenes features too)and it is too beautiful and effective for you to ever get bored of it!
I also thoroughly recommend the New York City Ballet Workout book that accompanies this DVD too. Both are worth every penny! :)
Enjoy!

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm a failure, 7 Jan. 2010
This review is from: New York City Ballet Workout [DVD] (DVD)

For an amateur who doesn't have any knowledge of the steps it takes ages to get used to them and the dvd is really fast so there's no time to learn them. Also, it is really long so I never managed to do it all the way through.

I might give it another try one day but you really need a few free days to master all the steps and plenty of time to actually do the dvd. It's not something you can fit into a free 30minutes.

Unfortunately for me it was a waste of money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

New York City Ballet Workout [DVD]
New York City Ballet Workout [DVD] by Richard Blanshard (DVD - 2005)