Format: DVD|Change

on 14 February 2013
The film itself needs little introduction to most Beatles fans. Many of the scenes seem like a precursor to Monty Python, such as the rambling army sergeant baiting a stuffed animal while his colleague relaxes at a desk in a field. The 'I am the walrus' video is my favourite segment, and John Lennon as a waiter shovelling spaghetti onto the table is another Pythonesque moment. The race is also fun where participants begin on foot, eventually progressing to all manner of vehicles.
The music is of course superlative.

However, this version is not recommended. A 60s film of this kind relies on vivid colours, but this pressing is so washed out that there is often no definition at all. If you imagine watching an entire movie with the brightness on the TV set to maximum you have the general idea.

Unfortunately Beatles DVDs are notoriously expensive so I was lured by the budget price. I am now saving up for the remastered version and this one will be on its way to a charity bin.

Oh, and one final thing, are we ever going to get an official release of Let it Be in the UK? Come on Sir Paul, we are big enough to handle the fifth and final Beatle film and maybe you could satiate our curiosity with a release of Carnival of Light on CD while you're at it!
on 25 August 2009
As other reviews say this DVD is appalling in both picture and sound, looking like it's been copied from a worn-out second generation VHS tape.

Whilst the film itself is good and the music excellent, especially for Beatles fans, it deserves much better than this shoddy and misleading product. Under no circumstances waste your hard-earned on this release; await a proper one.
on 24 January 2009
I have owned this DVd for some time, initially hoping that a DVD would be an improvement on my old VHS tape. However I must agree that it looks as though it has just been copied from the tape. The content I always knew to be of the Beatles indulging themselves without Richard Lester's guiding hand, it was panned by the critics when originally shown on TV in the 60's, but the music is great and Beatles fans won't care too much about the visuals. Some day Apple will get around to doing a proper job on this, as they have with A Hard Day's Night and Help. In the meantime I can only agree with a previous reviewer and say buy it, but only at the cheapest price you can get, one day you will want a version with a decent remastering job, and some extras!
on 1 December 2010
Very Disapointed in this DVD. Sound quality excellent but the NTSC format does not play well. Quality of the film is poor.
on 12 January 2009
I,m surprised this is legally for sale . We are told not to buy fake DVD's as the quality is poor and ofcourse the copyright laws etc . This I'm sure is a case where this badly produced film should not be for sale. Has Paul and Ringo seen this effort?
VINE VOICEon 16 October 2007
As a 32 year old Beatle fan returning to watch this film this after 15 years or so I am a little less disappointed than I was when I first saw it. I feel this film gets better with age just as Help gets worse. I appreciate things about it that I just thought were a waste of footage before, really, and now like it for what it is. It was disappointing originally because there is no story to draw you in, the ad libing is not that funny or developed, it is rambling and very short. But then that said a lot about my rigid expectations. If one is more open minded and has other ways of seeing one can see that this film is partially successful.
I've never watched this under the influence of drugs but I can see how it would beautifully compliment such an experience with its colour and its peculiar and romantic incidents. And even without them, I enjoy the set pieces, I enjoy what people wear, the fact that this film mixes the old with young, the fact that this is more authentically 1967 than a big budget scripted film would have been. There are lots of little things going on that will make the movie worth re-visiting. It captures the faces of people who weren't glamorous but somehow people of their time. It gives you an insight into British culture. It would certainly appeal to an anthropologist. With a bit more encouragement it could have been great and it certainly sits alongside Hard Day's Night, Yellow Sub and Let It be nicely, because these films each do something unique, well. (Four out of five good film ain't bad and Help at least has great music.)
Alas, MMT it's a few minutes too short, I reckon. I so badly want to see more of what went on that trip. It's been mercilessly and I would guess unexpertly edited. I would bet any money that if we had all the footage they shot it could be re-cut and be much better but I've read that footage has gone, alas. So what if that missing footage is Lennon ripping the letters off the side of the bus? That would have been great. And needless to say the music is top notch.
on 25 July 2010
how can the claim that this product has been digitally remastered be allowed to influence the purchasing of this DVD? It is unbelievably poor quality and should not be bought under any circumstances!!
on 16 October 2000
This is the Beatles in their experimental stage. Brian Epstein (their manager) had just died, and they had to do it on their own. The result is a loosely made 'film', based around a bus trip. As the Beatles said: "we wanted to film everything that happened on the way during the drive, unfortunately, nothing happened". But still, this film has many things in it that makes it interesting to watch. The music is one thing of course, it is superb, but there are many things in it that pre-dates Monty Python by 2 years. It's that sort of style. It's true though, you must be a Beatle fan to get your money's worth, but it's an interesting time-capsule from the late sixties.
on 17 March 2013
Rather disappointed in THIS COPY . This I think was some ones idea of a BOOTLEG COPY . The sound varied in level s and the color was appalling . I think this must have been made from an old CINE Copy of the film . I've seen other copies of this Magical Mystery Tour ,,,, But this one was POOR to say the least .
on 11 October 2010
i read the other reviews & alot said about the quality of this dvd & yes it is a vry foggy/grainy picture that has in no way been remastered like it claims on the box! seeing as this is the only available copy of the movie its something you have to try & look beyond! other than the low picture quality its a really enjoyable/fun movie with lots of great songs which i should imagine any beatles fan would love!