4.0 out of 5 stars Startling first album by a brilliantly innovative musician
Published on 30 Jun. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointed
Yes, excellent guitar player, and one fantastic song in 'Needle of death', but very much the work of a young man, lyrically not a great deal to say. Nice moody cover though..
Published 16 months ago by ChrisP.

4.0 out of 5 stars Startling first album by a brilliantly innovative musician, 30 Jun. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Bert Jansch (Audio CD)
This dates from 1965, and what a stir it caused then! Jnasch went on to work famously with John Renbourn and Pentangle, but this solo work is wonderful stuff. His guitar style is unique and accomplished, his songs,with exception of the 2 "protest" songs, which are a bit bum-clenching in retrospect, are romantic and poignant. The album contains one or two of his most famous songs - Needle of death, Strollin' down the highway, and Ramblings gonna be the death of me", interspersed with dazzling little instrumentals like "Finches". It's bluesy, jazzy, and brilliant! A little walk down Memory Lane for those who spent their formative years in 1960s folk clubs, and a real treat for everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A milestone and a must have album, 6 May 2007
Roy Ward (wylam, northumberland United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bert Jansch (Audio CD)
Dylan is revered. Robert Johnson, Skip James are re-discovered. But, this album by Bert Jansch is a milesone in folk blues. Vastly underated, his lyrics have am impact today and his guitar technique as displayed on this CD leave his songwriter acoustic contemporaries standing. He has produced many things since but this is his seminal work, as fresh now as it was when it left a crack in the ground. Listen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album - with a two-track reservation, 22 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Bert Jansch (Audio CD)
My first exposure to Bert Jansch was through a friend who used to go to Les Cousins in the mid-60s. I was about 15-16 at the time, and although I lived in Bromley, Kent I never got around to going with Simon to experience the folk scene live at the time. But Simon bought the records - Bert Jansch, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan, John Renbourn, Incredible String Band, Simon & Garfunkel and Donovan - and a little later Roy Harper, and Al Stewart.

It took my ear some considerable adjustment to get used to the finger-picking style of these folk musicians. Like most of my generation, I'd been brought up on a musical diet of the Shadows, the Beatles, the Stones and the many other glorious groups of the early 60s. But once I learned to appreciate the skill, the musicality, and the genuine emotions expressed by the upcoming wave of folk artists there was no turning back.

And I bought some of the records too, and we'd listen to them, as moody teenagers, often stoned, until late into the night. They stayed with us, although, in my case, most of them (with the exception of the ISB) moved somewhat to the back burner during the later stages of the 60s when the psychedelic explosion occurred.

And then, a few years ago someone sent me a CDR of People on the Highway: A Bert Jansch Encomium to check out. I liked this tribute CD so much that I bought my own copy - which record companies please note, is often the way it works with me. The CD brought those early folk music memories right back to the front of my consciousness.

And then, a week or so ago, Bert Jansch died. He wasn't old - though some might say he lasted a lot longer than might have been predicted at one time. Bert's death made we want to re-experience those early records of his which were so important to the formation of my adult musical taste. This CD, Bert's first album, is a beaut. His guitar playing is immaculate - with warmth and feeling, and with bags of the technical virtuosity which he was rightly acclaimed for. The songs are amongst his best and his voice is strong and emotive. I strongly recommend it to anyone who likes folk music (though most folkies will, I'm sure, already know it).

The only criticism I have with this release is the addition of the two bonus live tracks. These are poorly recorded, and sound harsh and incongruous after what has gone before. They don't add anything, but rather detract from the overall qualities of what was a gem of a first album. It would have been much better if the album had finished with the first version of Angie, and left me savouring those sweet notes as they resonated in my mind after the music had ended. I might copy this CD without the last two tracks - so I can enjoy the album as it was originally intended to sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent album, 8 Feb. 2007
Alex Clifton (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bert Jansch (Audio CD)
Now in his 60s, the excellent Bert Jansch has had an impressive and extensive career, having won such awards as the lifetime achievment award at the 2001 BBC Folk Awards. And this is where it started. This is his debut album and one of my favourites. There are many great tracks on 'Bert Jansch' and listening to it, it is no surprise that it was heavily responsible for the elevation of his career and the beginning of his success. The tracks are tuneful, with a fluency throughout the album which is more than can be said for some of his later albums (though he has done about 25). As a previous reviewer has already said, there is a lot of his most famous tracks on this album and his influence on people like Neil Young, Jimmy page and various artists is plain to see. If you're interested in getting into folk music and Bert Jansch, or you're already an experienced folk listener, this is an ideal album to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars the road is long, I gotta see my journey through..., 27 Feb. 2014
gille liath (US of K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bert Jansch (Audio CD)
A good friend of mine once said that, whereas Bob Dylan gives you a whole book to go at, with Bert Jansch you get only a page. It's certainly true that Jansch seemed almost to exhaust his songwriting talent with this album; but if only a page, it's a page of vividly, glowingly illuminated manuscript (while Dylan can sometimes be as drab as the phone book). In fact, I rate this the greatest 'folk' guitar album ever.

It's the vision of a young man who, like a folktale hero, has set out to seek his fortune and finds love, death, unintended paternity, fear of Armageddon - but above all an expanding horizon and the road leading ever on. As resonant as anything Dylan produced, musically it's far superior; the instrumentals, which set a standard no-one else has matched, seem to embody the restless theme even more graphically than the songs.

It boggles the mind that someone here thinks he has nothing to say: in a sense there *is* no more to say than this. None of that bloody harmonica, either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unadorned unrivalled, 3 Mar. 2009
M Stone-2009 (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
Babbler & Crow
For depth of songwriting and passion, & subtlety and strength of performance and lyrical content this album rivals almost any folk LP from the 1960s, including Dylan. Though Jansch's voice might not be everyone's cup of tea, his astonishing guitar playing is mesmerizing.
In the time you spent reading this review you could have pressed "buy now", I strongly suggest you do so now.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first product review!!!, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Bert Jansch (Audio CD)
I can't believe I lived so long without this album... It is brilliant. I brought this album in response to the pre-existing reviews - many thanks to all who had done so, without you all I would never have found Bert Jansch.. I'd add - if you love the likes of Nick Drake and Donovan - buy this... you will not be disappointed... :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible, 13 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Bert Jansch (Audio CD)
Whether you're into folk or just into music, this is a jaw dropping album. It inspired Jimmy Page, Neil Young and many others. There is no questioning the virtuous talent of Bert and the feeling he delivers. I keep this album close to my heart and I recommend you buy it too, if you like his music this is the first album to buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat disappointed, 31 Oct. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars This'll get you picking..., 11 Feb. 2010
C. lawson "claws-on" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bert Jansch (Audio CD)
Anyone with an acoustic guitar should own this album if only for "Anji", the tune that turned a folkophobe into a folkophile in under four minutes.

Buy it then buy Jansch's most recent album "The Black Swan" then buy all the ones in between and you will never look back. You may end up with sore fingers, though.

Bert Jansch
Bert Jansch by Bert Jansch (Audio CD - 2008)