5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute belter!
Every once in a while an album comes along that shifts the music-world's axis along a couple of degrees by simply daring to do something a bit different. 'Signs' is such an album.
Published on 20 Oct. 2001 by L. Woolston

Published on 24 Mar. 2011 by ARWoollock

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute belter!, 20 Oct. 2001
L. Woolston (Tyne & Wear, England.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Signs (Audio CD)
Dear Reader, you may ask why this is the case. My reply is this. The ingredients that go up to make the album are doubtless familiar; drum 'n' bass a-plenty, rap & ragga, a dash of Bollywood, clasical string arrangements, haunting flute melodies, and at times staggaringly beautiful lead vocals. But what is so special about this album is the way all these ingredients are brought together so seemlessly and, to coin a cliche, the whole really is greater than the sum of parts.
It is difficult to pick out highlights on an such an album where every second of every track is quality. But a few signposts to look out for include the fantastic dance track 'Get Up', which starts by cutting a swaying groove before the chorus kicks in like a mule and you have no choice but to dance like thing possessed (also, dig the message in the lyrics in these troubled times). Or the beautiful 'Sajanna' where the haunting lead vocal and Shri's fretless bass battle it out for chilled-out supremacy. And to end on, the simple beauty of the closing track, Appa, where the sitar takes you on a 2-minute journey of wonder and leaves you where you started with a great big smile on your face, knowing that the journey's been worthwhile.
Without question, this is my favourite album of 2001. But if you know better...

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of modern British, 18 July 2001
This review is from: Signs (Audio CD)
Simply blown away by this gorgeous album. A sumptuous mix of the most beautiful chilled-out tunes, classic Indian melodies and some great fun and funky tracks. It takes you from boogie to bliss and back again, one minute you're strutting your stuff to 'Get Up' the next you're thrown into revery by the hauntingly beautiful 'The Last Mile'. All I can say is BUY IT.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute barnstormer!, 10 Sept. 2001
This review is from: Signs (Audio CD)
This album oozes vitality, inventiveness and craft. It is richer in scope and instrumentation than their first album and has a more even balance of instrumental/vocal tracks. What is more, the sheer variety - of tempo, style and timbre - is a real strength, whether it is the irresistible 'Get Up' or the achingly beautiful 'Day By Day'. I absolutely love it!

4.0 out of 5 stars When the East truely met the West!, 14 May 2001
This review is from: Signs (Audio CD)
DJ Badmarsh, and Shri, a unique combination musical intelligence. Shri bringing musical forms from the East, while DJ Badmarsh bringing the sounds and tunes of the West. Tracks laced with the sweet MC'ing of UK Apache - Remeber him "Bad Boys in da London" a massive Jungle hit in the late 90's. He has surfaced again to add his tuneful vocals to this fantastic album!
The album still works on using the traditional eastern instruments, combining well with the modern day beats.
Quite a few tracks on the album to add to your favourite list if you can handle something different. A funky, jazzy, dancy, chilled out album - worth a listen, definitely worth a buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 2 Jun. 2001
This review is from: Signs (Audio CD)
Dancing Drums was excellent but Badmarsh & Shri have really excelled themselves with this one. Less Drum & Bass orientated than previously every track is a stunner. It's got everything - chilled, funky, dancey, the lot. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Badmarsh and Shri - Signs, 18 May 2009
This review is from: Signs (Audio CD)
I bought this album on the strength of one track I heard as the backing track to a Youtube video. I really wasn't sure what to expect but decided to buy it anyhow. What can I say, I love this album and am only disappointed that they havent produced anything more, (not that I can find). I don't think there is a duff track on the whole of this album. If you want something that is very upbeat, infectious and will make you want to dance then this is it.

1.0 out of 5 stars The rating does not reflect the quality of the music, but the disc!, 24 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Signs (Audio CD)
As far as I remember this is a pretty decent offering. Noteworthy tracks include numbers one and three - that is as far as I can remember. Why from memory? Well, recently I have been going back through my CD collection and loading into my iMac CDs which I haven't heard in a while - including this one. The reason I gave this CD only one star is, as the title of this review alludes to, nothing to do with the content (which I can barely remember), rather, due instead to the fact I can't play this on my iMac.

Like most people in 2011 I play music on a computer, namely an iMac. I own approximately 700 CDs and of those 700 I have encountered problems with...ONE, this one. When I put this disc into my computer it doesn't even recognise that a CD has been inserted. I initially thought there was a problem with the computer so I duly restarted it (during which the disc ejected), and fed in another different CD, and another, and yet another, all of which (or course) I experienced no problems with - as indeed have none of the other hundreds of CDs I have up until this junction played. So I duly went back and inserted this disc again to confirm it was that which was at fault, and again nothing came up on-screen to show that a disk has even been inserted, and once again it will not eject either. So once again, I had to restart my computer during which the CD ejects automatically.

If you turn over this CD and look at the back it does not look like any 'regular' CD I have seen. I'm assuming therefore that there is some problem with the manufacture or the coding because the tracks are clearly visible in a way that I've never seen on any of the other 700 discs I own, and this is the only disc that has caused this problem, coincidence?

A warning therefore anybody who wants to play this on an iMac, think again.

Dictated into Dragon Dictate 2.0 (with very minor corrections by the author) Dragon Dictate 2.0 for Mac (Mac)

3.0 out of 5 stars Badmarsh & Shri seem to have lost the ability, 2 Nov. 2004
This review is from: Signs (Audio CD)
Everyone went mad about this, saying that Badmarsh & Shri have now matured, and broadened their musical horizons. I just find it boring. Strangely enough, the best tunes are in fact the slower ones, 'Mountain Path' and 'Last Mile' and maybe 'Sajanna'. They are actually really good.
But Badmarsh & Shri seem to have lost the ability to make decent 'up' tunes with any drive and power and emotion, like I have come to expect after their first album. Whilst their production skills and contacts with other musicians have obviously increased, their inspiration, ideas, and sample collections, have apparently run dry. Very dissapointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars A poor sequel to their first excellent Dancing Drums CD, 25 July 2001
This review is from: Signs (Audio CD)
If you enjoyed the sheer brilliance, the superb musicianship and the inventiveness of Dancing Drums then this second offering will come as a profound disappointment. How two brilliant musicians could collaborate to produce such a middle-of-the-road CD with so few ethnic references is beyond me! Some tracks, such as Signs and Swarm do work well but theres just too much on here that isn't up to scratch. Some tracks are ruined by poor string arrangements, such as Day by Day and Appa whilst Soaring Beyond should be on the Wyndham Hill label. The other annoying feature is use of a flute in a Frau Zingler stylee only without his talent for expression. If your into inventive cross-cultural indian/western music then this CD isn't for you.

Signs
Signs by Badmarsh & Shri (Audio CD - 2001)