5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite superhero TV series of all time
Out of all the comic superheroes that have been made into a TV series, I can't think of one that I have ever really really liked, that is apart from this fantastic series of which I used to watch as a child in the early 1980's and I can't be accused of being biased (maybe a little nostalgic) because The Incredible Hulk wasn't my favourite superhero.

The great...
Published on 27 Jun. 2007 by Gwen Parkinson

3.0 out of 5 stars A Classic- but badly dated
It cannot be denied that despite big budget productions and lashings of CGI, the more recent versions of The Hulk somehow lack the warmth and personality of this original series- Lou Ferrigno will forever be the ultimate performer in the title role. That said however, the episodes have aged very badly, some are still entertaining but most are painfully slow and badly...
Published 6 months ago by Mr. Joseph Wheeler

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite superhero TV series of all time, 27 Jun. 2007

The great thing about this series is that you don't even have to be much of a fan of superheroes to like this (I wouldn't class myself as a massive superhero fan), it is the programme itself that is fantastic. I am not going to go into the whole history of what The Incredible Hulk actually is and how he turned out this way because I am sure everybody must surely know, even people who have never seen it and so I will just make a few comments on why I love this series. First of all there is the sadly departed actor Bill Bixby who in my opinion was born to play the role of Doctor David Banner, he had one of those faces that just made you really care about him and I know that people say this about a lot of actors but I truly don't think that this would have been the same without him.

It really was clever the way this series was made, it just feels a lot darker than most similar type of programmes and this is another reason why I really did and still do love it. It all starts off in a kind of cheesy dreamlike way with Banner and his wife living happily ever after and then all of a sudden they have a car accident, his wife dies and he survives and this is another reason why I say this was clever because to put this right at the beginning just after he was looking so happy makes me feel sorry for that Bill Bixby face even more.

Although I have already mentioned what happens at the beginning and if you have never seen this before then don't worry as this will in no way spoil it for you but if I say anymore about the story then it might and so I will say no more about it. I am just going to say one last thing about why I really like it and this is because of the style of which it was made, I mean for example, the whole way in which David Banner helps somebody in one town and then moves on to the next, I know this has been done many times but this must have been one of the first considering how old it is and I do love this style. It is at the end of each episode when we see him on his lonesome walking off after he has just made some new friends and having to say goodbye (another reason to feel sorry for that Bill Bixby face), moving onto another town by usually either catching puplic transport or hitch-hiking and it is at this point that the saddest music ever in my opinion to end an episode of a TV series begins, seriously, if ever a moment in a TV series can make a grown man cry then this is surely that moment. If you have ever seen the programme New Littlest Hobo, the way in which each episode ends always reminds me of that particular programme, although the music of which is both great couldn't be anymore more different.

I almost forgot to mention the role of The Incredible Hulk himself played by Lou Ferrigno, he played this part well both scary and likeable. I know that hardcore hulk fans probably already know this but I was suprised to learn only recently that Arnold Schwarzenegger auditioned for this part but was turned down because he wasn't tall enough, I really do learn something everyday.

Anyway, I am not going to say anymore other than to recommend this TV series to anyone, kids or adults and like I have already said, even if you don't really like superhero programmes you still might like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars more fantastic stuff from the incredible hulk, 18 Feb. 2005
Bj Lucas "saculnamron" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Incredible Hulk: A Solitary Place/Like A Brother/Haunted [DVD] [1978] (DVD)
I bought this dvd as i had never seen the episodes on it.It was worth the wait.I loved every episode on it.Wether your a fan or not buy this for the wonderful acting skills,the touching story lines,those ripping shirts and the lovely bill bixby makes it worth watching every time you have got to see these episodes i cannott recommend it enough
BARBARAXX

4.0 out of 5 stars The charm of the jolly green giant, 30 Jun. 2008
All of them Witches (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Incredibly entertaining first season of the 1970's television series of The Incredible Hulk. Includes two film length episodes including the pilot episode and another one of which features a fairly impressive fight scene with a bear! And ten further episodes.
I didn't find it as dark as some reviewers, though one of the episodes does feature a baby stealing operation, but I always found it engrossing and a pleasureable viewing experience.
Mostly the episodes feature David Banner overhearing some scoundrels planning a dasterdly deed whereupon they discover him listening in, give him a few slaps and dump him in a container/out of sight so that he can transform and do his thing leaving them none the wiser that weedy David and the green one are one and the same. This is in no way a criticism but the very epitomy of its charm. The transformations are great, I especially like the latter stage when it is Bill Bixby (David Banner)with a huge forehead, eyebrows and mad hair but his little face all green. Lou Ferrigno looks suitably impressive as 'The Hulk' and must be enormous in real life though not as big as the foot cast they showed in one of the episodes which would have put him somewhere in the 20 foot + region.
The stories are good and the effects vary greatly, the whole gorilla thing in one episode was a bit silly but as I said this programme can seemingly charm its way through anything.
Interestingly one of the episodes about a female trucker used a number of clips from Spielbergs 'Duel' I had recently seen this film again and spotted these sequences easily. Even the end sequence with the truck going over the cliff was used. It would be interesting to find out if any other borrowed scenes were utilised from other sources, I suspect the earthquake episode may have done the same. It was also fun to watch some of the scenes when David is taking a pasting and you can clearly see it's not him but a stand-in, a bit silly for a review to focus on but I like that type of thing, continuity errors etc.
It is difficult to say how modern viewers would rate this, I think it is well made and good quality tv fare which has withstood the test of time. If you remember this like I and enjoyed it at the time chances are you will still like it now. It was intersting watching it now as opposed to when I was younger to see that David is quite a hit with the ladies, though in the first series at least this is never taken anywhere. There is always that everpresent underlying sense of prevailing sadness as David snuffs out another potential new start and the lonely hitchiker hits the road again. He sporadically hints at his personal feelings of loss over his dead wife and in-keeping with the morality of the story respects the sanctity of the memory of his wife.
I'll certainly get the rest of these though I see the whole collection is being released together which works out cheaper than buying them individually. Very good overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars we DO like him when he's angry!, 3 Oct. 2006
Well, after many years of waiting I was thrilled to see The (not-so) Jolly Green Giant on DVD. I have been a big fan of the show since I was a child and I recommend this DVD to all fans. The pilot is here, and worth watching with commentary as the behind the scenes information is very interesting. The episodes are very good and as always at the end of each one you just can't help feeling sorry for poor David. I hope that all 5 seasons will find their way onto DVD as I'm sure there is alot of fans out there that Universal wouldn't really want to make angry!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Hulk smash!, 7 April 2007
A. G. Wiggan - See all my reviews
After being widowed in a car accident, Doctor David Banner (Bixby) bombards his own body with Gamma radiation in the hope that he will unlock the key to hidden strength. Unable to understand why he couldnt tap this power in his hour of need, his experiment with his own DNA unleashes his inner rage, personified as the Hulk (Ferrigno). The Hulk becomes linked to the death of Banner and his fellow research colleague in an explosion, leaving the doctor unable to prove that he wasn't responsible and destined to travel from city to city in the hopes of finding a cure to his condition.

Bill Bixby is superb as Banner, bringing a deep sincerity to the role of the tormented doctor, whilst Ferrigno managers to deliver both equal amounts of fury and innocence to the Jade giant.

By following the fugitive's formula of 'man on the run', each episode is able to invoke suspense as Banner gets ever closer to his personal quest only to have it snatched away from him in the eleventh hour. This leaves the audience with much reflection as the sombre tones play out during the end credits, whilst Banner once again hits the road in search of his next opportunity.

The episodes offer many highlights, in particular "The Hulk breaks Las Vegas" as investigative reporter Jack Magee (Colvin) gets closer to discovering the connection the creature has to Banner. The real treat though is "747" which sees Banner travel cross country in the desperate hope to reach a doctor who may offer an answer. Unfortunately his journey is complicated by a rogue pilot and leads to a deep psychological battle as Banner has to take control of an aeroplane whilst fighting his own transformation.

This boxset contains two feature length stories plus the remaining 10 episodes of the first season as well as a bonus episode from season 2.

Apart from a few ropey effects (which can be easily forgiven) this is a first rate show. If you were put off by Ang Lee's brilliant yet misjudged "Hulk" but can find a place in your heart for the green goliath, this is a must own collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Program with classic acting,effects and music, 30 Aug. 2000
By A Customer
This is a quality plot for a TV series.Bill Bixby is fantastic as David Banner and and it does prove that he was born to play this role, And the best thing about this video is that it is for adults and not just chlidren because there is drama and also action and it quite sad at the end because of the piano solo it does make you feel sad.I must for sci-fi or tv fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring on the gamma rays!, 7 July 2000
It's so good to see this excellent 'scary' series out on video in such a format. The pilot episode is a very good story, well executed, much better than most pilot episodes. This series has stood the test of time well, and is well worth a look!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as I remembered, 17 Sept. 2009
Dr Phibes "Dr Phibes" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Bought for my 4 year old birthday as it is rated PG. The box itself is great with a special metallic cover which you can move to see David then the Hulk. The box contains 2 DVD's including the pilot and 11 episodes. Also includes a commentry from the producer.

If your not familar with the series David is a scientist who accidently exposes himself to gamma radiation which transforms him into the Hulk when angry. Hence to famous line " dont make me angry, you wouldnt like me when Im angry ".

The theme tune at the end when David walks away is really catchy and moving (The Lonely Man). All the episodes have the same format David has heard of some pioneering treatment/ research and infiltrates the organisation in the hope he can find a cure. Mostly taking low paid menial work he usually discovers foul play and sets out to save the goodies and scare off the baddies sometimes there is a love interest.

Most episodes have plenty of Hulk appearances to satisfy the audience.

My son loved it and I would recommend for primary school age. The 2003 film just cant be compared to this, much too dark, too long, not enough green moments and for an older audience rated 12. This is really one of my pet hates, all boys will love the Hulk and the film makers should offer an edited PG version for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr David Banner is not dead!, 29 Oct. 2000
Fantastic sci-fi drama. Superb acting by Bill Bixby. The pilot episode was followed by more than eighty episodes so is well worth watching. It is one of the best stories and seeing it for the first time made me want to see more - would he ever be found out! The reporter played by Jack Colvin is great, he comes so close to tracking him down it almost makes you feel as sorry for him as you do for David Banner. It left me in need to find out what will happen in the next episodes and somehow became addicted and eneded up watching all of them! The stories are superb. The idea for the programme naturally meant that there could be so many stories involving so many different places and characters. I have never known one traveller to get himself into so many fights! This video is a must for every Sci-fi fan who exists out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Human drama, 10 Feb. 2008
Bj Lucas "saculnamron" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
These are the two pilot episodes that started the legend. Bill Bixby is simply amazing as 'The Incredible Hulk' plays out. Dr. David banner, a succesful scientist,is Unable to save his wife from a fiery car crash , he embarks on a research project with colleague and friend Elaina Marks, played by the wonderful Susan Sullivan (Dharma and Greg) frustrated by the lack of progress, Dr Banner realises it's gamma radiation that is the key, unable to raise his friend on the phone, he experiments on himself using gamma radiation. he takes a massive overdose, and strange happenings begin when he gets a flat tyre in a rainstorm. this is real quality human drama at it's very best. the show that ran from 1977_1982 is the very epitome of human pathos and emotions. Wonderful!

A death in the family follows on from the original pilot, and finds David befriending a young heiress, who, he soon discovers is in danger of becoming the victim of a dastardly plot. can david and the Hulk save the day? stars Laurie Prange and william Daniels (Knight rider)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›