5.0 out of 5 stars Are there enough superlatives?
It is very, very hard to describe this CD without resorting to gushing superlatives and over-use of the words "amazing", "fantastic", and "wonderful"; yet this album is all of those things and more; much more.
To describe it briefly, I'd call it a collection of jazz songs and classics carefully selected from the 1920's all the way to the present, sung in beautifully...
Published on 3 Oct. 2004 by mikezm

Very disappointing overall - perhaps I was expecting something different. However, the title track was good and a lovely version of that original song, which goes to show what a brilliant song it is. I would just down load that one track.
Published 7 months ago by G.O.M.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply wonderful., 5 May 2013
This review is from: Both Sides Now (Audio CD)
The collection that Mitchell has put together is truly wonderful. Both sides now is exactly that. She takes the listener on a journey of falling in heady love, then things start to grow wrong, and ending up being able to articulate 'both sides now' coming out at the other end let down and alone. Don't listen to feel better, but to just to revel in her beautiful tones, the jazz and be taken on a ride of emotion, sorrow and aloneness. Takes a clever artist to pull this off.

4.0 out of 5 stars The orchestration adds weight to the pieces too - the lyrics stand up extremely well to the passage of time and I find this to b, 19 Feb. 2015
Rob H (Market Harborough, Leics England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Both Sides Now (Audio CD)
For me there is something about the maturing qualities that reveal themselves as some artists progress through their careers and certainly Joni Mitchell's lyrics are in my view enhanced by coming from a more worldly wise place. The orchestration adds weight to the pieces too - the lyrics stand up extremely well to the passage of time and I find this to be a very enjoyable recording that fans and people unfamiliar with JM can enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars Blues & Mood, 18 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Both Sides Now (Audio CD)
I originally heard the track 'Comes Love' being played in a restaurant and after asking a member of staff "Who was it singing" that I went and bought this album. I personally think it is fantastic - full of moody songs. The bonus is her rendition of 'Both Sides Now', which makes the hairs on my neck stand out.
Brilliant.
Flicks

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album of an interesting mix of songs, 24 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Both Sides Now (Audio CD)
Tremendous jazz voice of Joni Mitchell was quite a surprise to me, based on previous knowledge of the singer. The highpoint of this album , the track ' A case of you' with the immortal lines
I could drink a case of you darling
Still I'd be on my feet
Loved it and I implore you to try it out you wont be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Both Sides Now, 25 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Both Sides Now (MP3 Download)
Buy this album for two very good reasons: 1 - the chance to hear Joni Mitchell work her way through a selection of beautiful but bitter-sweet love songs and 2 - the chance to hear Vince Mendoza's wonderfully lush orchestral arrangements for these songs. You buy one, you effectively get one free. Who could ask for more?

5.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't get better than this, 5 April 2008
This review is from: Both Sides Now (Audio CD)
I was introduced to this album when Simon Rattle (yes, the classical conductor!) included one of the tracks for his Desert Island Discs, saying he had always been a fan of Jazz. As a jazz fan of 30 years, I thought 'What the hell is he talking about - jazz? Joni Mitchell?" Then I heard the music and realised I should have better trusted his judgement. I bought the album straight away, knowing that there was at least one stunning track on it. To my immense joy I discovered that every single track on the album could justify its purchase. I remain utterly astounded that someone not really known as a jazz singer could completely master the art in the way Joni does on this album. I don't know how many hundreds of jazz singers I have heard over the years, but none of them are, or were, better than this. The highlight for me is Joni's reworking of her own song 'A case of you'. It is so hauntingly beautiful that I can no longer play it in the car because I can neither concentrate on the road nor see clearly through my moist eyes. The orchestration on the album is superb, with some wonderful accompaniment by a few jazz 'galactico's', but together they provide only the canvass on which Mitchell paints her masterpiece. Five stars is not enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Songs, 3 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Both Sides Now (Audio CD)
Every song on this CD is worth listening to. I must admit I'd never really been into Joni Mitchell before listening to this. Both Sides Now and A Case of You are my favourite tracks. I think she has captured a new fan. Absolutely loved it.

2.0 out of 5 stars the title track was good and a lovely version of that original song, 21 July 2014
This review is from: Both Sides Now (Audio CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars reflective Joni Mitchell - at her very best. The title track now conveys her life experience ..., 6 July 2014
Mr. Gerald Murphy "Catholic convert" (Merseyside, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Both Sides Now (MP3 Download)
This is a mature, reflective Joni Mitchell - at her very best. The title track now conveys her life experience - a world weariness. In other tracks we hear her jazz influences. For any Joni Mitchell fan, this is a must buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joni - "All sides now"..., 17 July 2008
Tom-Erik Falla (Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Both Sides Now (Audio CD)
I've been a dedicated Joni fan for decades, but I don't think I've ever heard her as good as here! Old songs with grand orchestra arrangements, but not at all drowning her voice, which only has grown in quality and feeling over the years. Old Classics like "A Case of You" and "Both Sides Now" sounds absolutely great. And "Stormy Weather" doesn't come very short to legendary Lena Horne.

My very best recommendations!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

Both Sides Now [DVD AUDIO]
Both Sides Now [DVD AUDIO] by Joni Mitchell (DVD Audio - 2002)