5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic classic Marley
Published on 7 May 2002

1.0 out of 5 stars a 'remaster' too far!!
Published on 16 April 2010 by john smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic classic Marley, 7 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Uprising (Audio CD)
Awe-inspiring. This is classic Bob Marley at his best, with some great tracks, some of which EVERYONE in the world has heard, some less well known, but equally cool. Makes a good case for avoiding the proliferation of "Best of" collections that exist and going for something a little more original - there are some real gems among his back catalogue that most Marley "fans" won't have heard. Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Last in a series of Great Albums, 13 Aug 2002
This review is from: Uprising (Audio CD)
Bob Marley is one of the most unique and famous artists of his time and stands miles apart from every one who attempted to "jump on the band wagon" and copy his successful style. This album is his last and could be called his best if not for the immortal genuis of Exodus. There are songs which Marley fans could most associate with such as the revolutionary worded "Redemption song" to the lyrically simple "comin in from the cold". One difference to this album is the upbeat, classic "could u be loved. Could this have been the start of a change in style with the reggae mastermind. The answer is we shall never, but his music is unique and therefor shall remain immortal. Its not everyones ideal CD, but i believe if you can get hooked on one of his great albums such as Uprising,Kaya and Exodus you will want them all.The great thing is his albums are inexpensive and for a small price u can listen to a bit of genius so take my advice and give it go.

5.0 out of 5 stars The last great album Bob would release, 10 Mar 2009
Rudy (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uprising (Audio CD)
Bob's health had already been suffering and as sad as it is that this turned out to be the last album he would see released, it is a fitting end to a magnificent career. It is even more fitting that the album ends with Redemption Song, one of his simplest but most powerful songs. That along with Could You Be Loved are the most famous songs here. When I first started getting into The Wailers Could You Be Loved was one of my favourite songs. But after years of listening to roots reggae I have to admit that now it's disco leanings do feel a little out of place and for me it is actually the weakest song on the album (albeit still a very good song). The album opens with one of the real classics, Coming In From The Cold. The 12" mix of this song is tremendous, well worth listening to. Real Situation is next and has an interesting juxtaposition between the joyful sounding backing with Bob's prophetic lyrics. Bad Card and We And Them are 2 of my favourites from this cd. The only words I can use to describe the music of Bad Card is simply - rub-a-dub! Brilliant! The following two songs, Work and Zion Train, despite being less well known are both excellent and keep the high standards up. Pimper's Paradise contains some of the best lyrics from the album.

"She love to party, have a good time
she looks so hearty, feeling fine
she loves to smoke, sometimes shifting coke
she'll be laughing when there ain't no joke."

After Could You Be Loved is another of my highlights, Forever Loving JAH. It's a really beautiful song. Finally Redemption Song ends the album in style.

"Old pirates yes they rob I
sold I to the merchant ships
minutes after they took I from the
bottom less pit
but my hand was made strong
by the hand of the Almighty
we forward in this generation triumphantly."

This is another must have album by The Wailers and I can sympathise. Over the years I've lost track of how much money I've spent collecting all their albums and compilations etc. But I can honestly say it's been worth every penny. This album is nearly 30 years old and is every bit as relevant as when it was recorded.

1.0 out of 5 stars a 'remaster' too far!!, 16 April 2010
john smith (The Highlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uprising (Audio CD)
Please don't get me wrong, I love this album, and having sold off my record collection, I found I didn't have this Bob Marley classic in my CD collection, so I got this - 'the definitive remastered'. Well I'm sorry but I can't listen to it, it hurts my ears? I have all the earlier cd's bought in the 80's, and they are great, but this,they seem to have sharpened up the sound, and brought all the sharp bits forward? So this one is going on e-bay, and I will look for an earlier cd copy that Bob ok'ed, and that has not had the anguish and soul 'remastered' out of it. I wish they would stop messing around with perfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Together with Exodus,a must have., 23 April 2012
D. Bibb "Crimson Ghost" (Birmingham,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uprising (Audio CD)
A joy to listen too.Complete from beginning to end,no dud tracks.Marley at his best,every track a killer no filler.If you have the Legend cd this and Exodus is your next step.Favourite tracks We And Dem,Forever Loving Jah,Coming In Ffrom The Cold...What you waiting for...

5.0 out of 5 stars Another hit album, 25 Feb 2014
Radiojock (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Uprising (MP3 Download)
I'm currently reading The Untold Story of Nesta Robert Marley's life and it's fascinating. There are a lot of albums listed in the book that I'd love to buy but this one, in particular has songs that I need to listen to as I'm reading about them!

Could you be loved was an oft' played record I had on vinyl when it first hit the British charts. Bob released it here on Island Records, as he did many of his latter hit singles. I also have it these days on Legend.

Redemption Song I first heard on the Legend album.

Pimper's Paradise took my breath away a few years ago, having been released on the original Iron Lion Zion CD single we had at the radio station, whose track listing has since been changed.

So I'm really looking forward to hearing these songs again, along with the rest of the album, which, by the looks of Bob's story, he was lucky to see released before he died.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best studio record bob marley did, 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: Uprising (Audio CD)
This is the best record bob marley did in the studio. It is an absolute classic from start to finish, better than exodus

4.0 out of 5 stars A couple of excellent tracks, 11 Nov 2013
George Taylor (Phnom Penh, Cambodia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uprising (Audio CD)
Worth having for the Redemption Song and Could You Be Loved tracks, though maybe a better buy would have been a compilation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good album, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: Uprising (Audio CD)
What a great album from a unique artist. You just can't stop playing it, I wish I had it on vinyl

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic ., 22 July 2013
Mrs. S. M. Ashworth (Nottingham U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Uprising (Audio CD)
Great songs that I had missed from the eighties, love him then and still. Well worth a listen. So go ahead , purchase

Uprising
Uprising by Bob Marley (Audio CD - 2001)