Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 October 2001
I bought this album after going to see them live with my m8 who's a big fan of them. i bought the album ANThology straight after the gig and i wasn't dissapointed. the songs are really good, they're fast and fun and then there's attitude which is one of the only slow songs on the album but it's still brilliant and it helps to add contrast to this amazing album.
so i have 1 tip for u buy this album, it's well worth it
on 23 September 2001
I am a fan of nu-metal and punk-rock kind of bands so when my m8 baught this I just had to get it myself! Their version of "smooth criminal" is cool and my favourite has to be "wish". the album never gets boaring and has earned it's keep on my huge pile of other similar band-albums like "papa roach" and "offspring" so if ure gonna buy a new cd, buy this one!!!
on 28 February 2001
You want an interesting debut album but you can't think what to buy?? Heard Papa Roach are good. Well they are. But you don't want that. (well, you do. But not now).So, you pick up ANThology. The first signings to Papa Roach's label, and new members of the funk-metal scene.
Hailing from Calafornia, this foursome follow on from Faith no More and Incubus as the new genre benders. With fantastic songs such as "Movies" and "Flesh and Bone", you would be an Alien Ant to miss out. Even Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal" is good.
Make this album do well. You have the power!!!
on 4 January 2003
I bought this album on the strength of the AAF single Attitude, yup Attitude, not Movies or Smooth Criminal.
I'd heard both of those tracks plenty of times but they never really did too much for me, as soon as i heard Attitude i knew there was more to this band then pop rock and a pretty cool cover.
Tracks like Stranded, "Stick and Stones" and Death Day really stand out but this is overall a very strong album, no song is really weak.
Highly recomended, well worth giving it a chance if you're looking for a new album to pass the time.
on 14 October 2001
this is an album which exceed their independent album by a long shot. the ballads of sticks and stones and flesh and bone really hold together the sweet melodies of stranded and attidude combinig with the hardcore wish,calico and fantastic opener courage. immediate stand out tracks are movies and michael jacksons smooth criminal with gives the album that added bit of cheekeness. overall the album is a masterpiece,a contuining flowing piece of metal art.
on 24 March 2001
When I first heard about this band I was expecting the usual nu-metal contrived sound, and was expecting yet another display of style over substance. So you can imagine my surprise when I put this on and discovered an absolute classic album. Despite the Papa Roach connection, this band are more than just another average nu-metal act jumping on the ever-increasing bandwagon.
The best way to describe their sound would be like Incubus with more emocore and less funk. I've read a few reviews where there have labelled this album as 'funk-metal' but, personally I didn't notice a great deal funk on the album. The first couple of tracks, whilst being great, are actually the most misleading, in terms of showing the band's true identity. 'Courage' is the nearest thing the band come to 'straight' nu-metal and 'movies', which reminded me of the Lit song 'My own worst enemy', is the band's most commercial song and, deservedly, will be a massive hit (so get ready for whinging rockers to label these guys sell-outs when that happens). The real highlights though, are the tracks with a little more depth, like 'calico', 'sticks and stones', 'whisper', 'death day' ,'stranded' and the epic 'universe'. These are really powerful and emotional rock songs that really grab you after a couple of listens, and have great lyrics, which actually mean something (unlike most nu-metal bands). In fact the only track I have any complaints about is the cover of Michael Jackson's classic 'smooth criminal', basically because they don't add anything to the song and this whole business of eighties cover versions is getting really tedious. But basically, I really loved this album and I would strongly recommend it to anyone into bands like Incubus, Lost Prophets and the Deftones
on 22 May 2009
Words cannot describe how much I love this album. Every song by Alien Ant Farm just seems amazing to me.
I first bought this album and the 20th Century Best of Alien Ant Farm Collection (also a must have) after having been shown Smooth Criminal by someone, and now they are my favorite band by far.
The obvious top songs on this album are the immensely popular "Smooth Criminal", and the awesome "Movies", but my personal favorite on here is "Wish". "Death Day", "Attitude" and "Calico" are also brilliant. The band has a lot of variation on this album, but the wierdest point is without a doubt the hidden track "Orange Appeal". It is kind of creepy, but still sounds pretty good.
So, yeah, buy this album. Now.
on 24 May 2001
Everyone is comparing AAF to Papa Roach; and they shouldn't, as they are very different. AAF's choruses sound like those found in 80's songs, and that is by no means a bad thing, as ANTthology is one of two albums in my collection which I like every song (The other is 'Infest', surprise surprise). AAF deserve more credit than they get; they're like a less rude version of The Bloodhound Gang. In my opinion, the best song on this masterpiece is either "Attitude" or "Smooth Criminal".
Smooth Criminal is covered wonderfully, with Dryden's vocals having so much power and tension in them... he could be Michael Jackson in disguise... If you haven't got this album, what are you doing??? GET IT!
on 28 February 2001
Hearing the word 'funk' alongside the word 'metal' often bears little relevance, and has for the most part failed to be much of an inspiration to anybody. Faith No More started the trend aeons ago, and since then the only band to really hit the jackpot has been incubus. Now Alien Ant Farm give us their best shot, releasing their debut on Papa Roach's own label.
The singers voice is a carbon copy of Brandon Boyds, but who can complain when he's such a fine singer to start with? The bass playing and guitars are sublime and the songs all fit together effortlessly.
Perhaps the dodgiest part of this recording is the now, perhaps a little tired, cover of an 80s song. In this case however it doesn't seem too much as if it is there for pure novelty value, and anyone who covers 'Smooth Criminal' is in my book, a genius.
As debut albums go, this one is fairly special, making their label owners Papa Roach look a little boring in comparison. Perhaps the genre is still struggling to find its feet, but if we are to be presented with more bands of this calibre then the future looks bright for funk metal.
on 20 September 2001
I'm not really into Papa Roach or those kinds of bands, however when I heard this, I had to go out and get it! I've never heard the original version, but coming from Jackson, it's bound to be a 'poppy' tune, however rest assured that AAF have not gone down that road,but instead have produced a fast, fat beat great tune.