‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Most played album in my collection - brilliant!, 31 Mar 2001
This review is from: If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It All Over You (Audio CD)
I bought this in 1972 because of its hippy/freak overtones and after I'd seen the band live. It soon became the most played record in my collection. On the surface it appears frivolous but on increasing listening one soon realises it's a real jazz/rock masterpiece. The range of instruments played is interesting (including hedge-clippers) but this album is really dominated by David Sinclair's mastery of the hammond organ. A real treasure, I'm so glad I can now get it on CD and give my vinyl a rest!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply beyond words, 25 Sep 2005
By A Customer
I came across this after reading the reviews on Amazon. My only regret is the years I've missed without it! There is a pastoral, autumny feel with Caravan, which can at only moment transcend into any given season. This album has it all, superb musicianship, great hooks, and sensitivity in abundance. Once in every few years an album grabs my attention. In this case it has, and won't let go! I couldn't recommend it enough....enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Caravan Sublime Music, 14 Jun 2006
Having been a big fan of Caravan in the 70's through listening To the Land of Grey and Pink, I finally got around to buying this a few weeks ago, it reminded me why I liked Caravan all those years ago, great songwriting and superb muscianship. It is a great album and I wish I hadn't waited nearly 30 years to listen to it. Still all good things come to those who wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply perfect in every way!, 26 May 2009
I had forgotten how good this album was until I bought the remastered version recently on CD. I used to have the vinyl LP when I was a teenager and loved it very much back then, along with Caravan's other early masterpieces, "In the Land of Grey andPink" and "For Girls Who Grow Plump in the Night". I have already replaced those other two LPs with CDs - and they both still sound stunningly good! - and now it was the turn for "If I Could Do It All Over Again....".

Quite honestly, these three albums of Caravan's must rank amongst the very best of English progressive rock, certainly on a par with anything that more exalted bands like Genesis, Yes and Pink Floyd had to offer. Somehow they failed to attract the sort of commercial success that those other bands did - but, believe me, that was only ever due to marketing trickery rather than any lack of musical quality.

Sumptuous melodies that will stay with you for ever, beautiful sung harmonies, integration of keyboards and wind instruments into the rock band format in an almost perfect fashion - this album is simply stunning.

The remastered sound quality is very good. The bonus tracks are good too, but they are not the reason I bought the CD, which was to have a much loved LP, in its original form, back in my collection again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, singular and uplifting, 21 Oct 2008
D. Hamilton-Smith "dave" (Merrye Olde Engelond) - See all my reviews
Although its follow-up '...Grey and Pink' is more frequently hailed as the best Caravan album, I personally prefer this, their second effort. Though I'm not too well-versed in their mid-1970s period (my preference seems to have wandered off towards Hatfield & The North with Richard Sinclair and his bass guitar) I still say this with some confidence. '...Grey and Pink' is more streamlined and features a more mature approach to constructing the pop hooks that never fail to reel people in, but '...Do It All Over Again' has a far better structure and flow to it, faring much better as a listening experience and unhindered by the logistical difficulties of trying to tastefully dump a vast, side-long epic into its duration.

The melodies and chord progressions are light years away from the jazzy complexities the Canterbury scene had to offer by 1974 and beyond, but many are sweet and beautiful in their own right and instantly memorable. They are easily traceable to the simple, naive charms of the psychedelic pop scene that Caravan themselves began as part of. Jimmy Hastings again makes his presence felt on the classic 'For Richard' suite, providing the excellent brass & woodwind touches that livened up several excellent albums of the era. Elsewhere, the pairing of Pye Hastings and Richard Sinclair was never more equal and more sensitive to each other's vocal and compositional strengths than herein, making this arguably the most balanced album ever to feature these two distinctive musicians.

It's a very breezy listen, full of excellent musicianship and still rooted in the late 60s British psych-pop scene, making it a decent companion piece to an album like Soft Machine's 'Volume Two'. The genre, along with the bands themselves, grew upwards and outwards at an alarming rate after 1970, and while there's certainly a great deal of value in the complexities and jazzy intimidation of later-period bands like National Health, this album has a charming and well-balanced nature that you'd be hard pushed to find an equal to.

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could do it all over again - Caravan. Prog folk?, 12 Aug 2009
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I've been exploring the realms of Prog Rock for a few years now, King Crimson, Coliseum and the like. I'm also a bit of a folkie, with a lot of Pentangle and Fairport in my CD collection. Someone suggested I try this as something that would fit in with both genres.

This is a great album. The feel is very pastoral English, and makes me think of autumn evenings, picnics by the river, walks through the forest and the like. Very much like The Kinks 'Village Green Preservation Society'. The tracks are often quite long and loose, typical prog rock style, but never seem to outstay their welcome. They aren't 'rockers' though, musically this sounds like folk blended with 60's pop. There are some odd combinations going on here, but the whole thing works, through strong song writing, excellent musicianship, very nice vocals, and a good 'feel' for what the next logical step should be in a track.

To sum up - A very folky feeling album with a fair bit of experimentalism going on, which works really well. Laid back, relaxing, and note perfect. Recommended to anyone who likes Fairport, Steeleye Span, pastoral era Kinks, and 'Songs from the Wood' era Jethro Tull.

5.0 out of 5 stars underrated classic, 13 Sep 2006
In my opinion a vastly overlooked album.It has a very warm, far away feel all the way through.Superb keyboards from David Sinclair and excellent additional sax and flute by Jimmy Hastings a player who contributes greatly to Caravan's sound. Not a duff track here. This is English pastoral prog at its best.

5.0 out of 5 stars vintage- from the sublime, 7 April 2001
simply put Caravan's second offering is pure vintage of the finest order.The most underrated band from the UK in the 70's. And when you discover and love this album don't stop until you reach the last studio album from 1996, Battle of Hastings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost, 20 Nov 2011
Andrew B Williams (Leura, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
OK. "In The Land Of Grey And Pink" is their best album. We all know that. There have been countless other wonderful moments too. "If I could Do It All Over Again..." is fantastic - probably musically and potentially their defining moment. But the album is ruined by a totally wayward mix and mastering. The difference in db between the "quiet" bits and the "loud" bits is so extreme that it is practically un-listenable. And the basic sound is foggy and distant. Not sure if they had some classical cowboy doing the mastering or what, but the LP I bought in 1971 and every subsequent re-release suffers from the same problem. I've taken to re-mastering it myself to make it (almost) listenable. If the original master tapes are available, and if Pye (or anyone else associated with this album) can get it into a studio and correctly remix and remaster the thing, it will become one of the all-time classic records.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're deported to a desert island, 12 Aug 2010
Al Most (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
Basically, it's all been said in the other (more expert) reviews.
You will not understand why you hadn't heard about this album before, and you will be sorry for the lost time (but happy like the day you bought your very first album).
To those who've heard other pieces of Caravan, without being fully convinced, let's put it this way. "If I Could" just rocks in a different category. Not as psychedelic as their first album, not as soft as "Land of Grey", way more elaborate than all the other ones, "If I could" blends a unique mixture of pop, folk and rock in a sophisticated, yet energetic and very entertaining prog frame.
The closest albums "If I could" comes to are maybe the early King Crimsons, or Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother. As for quality, it ranks on a par with them, if not above.
To cut it short, it is the best Caravan album, the best Canterbury scene album, one of the best prog rock albums, and one of the top 10 albums all genres, all centuries.
So if you're deported to a desert island and are allowed one album, make sure to take "If I could" with you. If you're allowed a second album, you might well consider taking another copy of "If I Could", in case something happen to the first one.
PS I have one of the first CD editions. My comment does not specifically relate to this one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›